Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: at Saint Joseph's
TV: American Sports Network
- Local clearances: NESN (Cox: 725 HD | FiOS: 576 HD | Comcast: 851 HD)
- Full national clearances (pdf)
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS SAINT JOSEPH'S
- Rhode Island faces Saint Joseph's in the second of two regular season meetings.
- Tonight's game marks the 100th all-time meeting between the Rams and Hawks.
- SJU holds a 56-43 lead in the all-time series record, which began in 1940-41.
- Rhody earned a 88-58 victory in the first meeting on Jan. 3 in Kingston.
- Rhody is 17-31 all-time at Saint Joseph's and has not beaten the Hawks in Philadelphia since Jan. 19, 2011.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 273-324 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last year, the Rams were 9-9 and the #7 seed in the 2016 A-10 Championship.
- In 2014-15, Rhody posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
- Since 2014-15, Rhode Island is 33-19 (.635) in Atlantic 10 regular season games.
RHODE ISLAND'S SCHEDULE: ONE OF THE BEST IN THE NATION
- Rhode Island's non-conference strength of schedule is ranked 19th nationally.
- URI's overall strength of schedule is 43rd. Both figures rank first in the Atlantic 10.
- Rhode Island has faced six RPI top 75 non-conference foes - Duke (13), Cincinnati (14), Providence (52), Houston (54), Belmont (58), and Valpo (64).
- The average RPI of the teams in Rhode Island's nine losses this season - 71.
- Total point differential in those games - 59 points (6.6 ppg avg. differential).
- Four A-10 opponents are also top 100 RPI teams: Dayton (21), VCU (24), St. Bonaventure (90), and Richmond (91).
- In total, Rhode Island's schedule features 10 top 100 RPI opponents (11 total games). Rhode Island is 6-1 versus teams ranked 101-150.
- Rhody has faced 10 teams ranked in the top 100 on the KenPom.com rankings: Duke (15), Cincinnati (24), Dayton (31), Houston (38), VCU (47), Providence (56), Belmont (84), Davidson (90), St. Bonaventure (92), and Valpo (95).
RHODE ISLAND'S TOURNAMENT RESUME: A SNAPSHOT OF SOME OF THE KEY NUMBERS
- NCAA RPI: 44 | KenPom: 53 | KPI: 45 | ESPN BPI: 41 | Sagarin: 51 | Composite Average: 46.8
- URI's overall strength of schedule (SOS) ranks 43rd nationally. The Rams' non-conference SOS is 20th.
- RPI-wise, Rhode Island is 2-3 vs. the top 50, 4-7 vs. the top 100, and 10-8 vs. the top 150.
- The Rams highest-rated win of the season: Cincinnati (RPI: 14 | KenPom: 24 | KPI: 18 | ESPN BPI: 16 | Sagarin: 20)
- Rhody owns another top 25 RPI win: VCU (RPI: 23 | KenPom: 21 | KPI: 25 | ESPN BPI: 38 | Sagarin: 48)
- URI's lowest-rated loss of the season: Fordham (RPI: 199 | KenPom: 189 | KPI: 194 | ESPN BPI: 206 | Sagarin: 180)
- Average RPI of opponents: 130 | Average RPI wins: 158 | Average RPI losses: 70 | Opponent SOS: 87
- Record vs. 1-50: 1-3 | Record vs. 51-100: 1-5 | Scoring Margin: +8.4 | Road/Neutral Record: 5-6
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - MARCH 1
- Rhode Island is 16-12 overall and 5-2 in the A-10 in games played on March 1. URI has won its last four matchups played on March 1.
- On this date: in 1781, the Continental Congress adopted the Articles of Confederation; President John Tyler signed a resolution annexing the Republic of Texas on March 1, 1845; The Hoover Dam was completed on March 1, 1936; Richard Wright published "Native Son" on March 1, 1940; President John F. Kennedy established the Peace Corps in 1961; and in 1981, Bobby Sands began a hunger strike at Maze Prison in Northern Ireland, protesting the removal of special category status. He would die 65 days later.
- March 1 marks the dual celebration of National Peanut Butter Lover's Day and National Pig Day.
- Notable March 1 birthdays: author Ralph Ellison, actor Tim Daly, actor/director Ron Howard, former NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle, the Who's Roger Daltrey, and pop star Justin Bieber.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Hassan Martin is the only active Division I player with at least 1,200 career points, 700 career rebounds, and 300 career blocked shots.
- Rhode Island has held seven opponents under 60 points in Atlantic 10 play. The Rams are 6-1 in those games.
- Jarvis Garrett's 12-for-12 performance from the free throw line vs. VCU tied for the second-best FT proficiency mark in school history.
- Over its last four games, Rhody's defense has held opponents to 10-of-57 (17.5%) shooting from beyond the arc.
- After making 47 3FG through its first four A-10 games (2-2), Rhode Island has hit a combined 58 3FG over its last 12 (9-3).
THE VCU GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- Hassan Martin (17 points/18 rebounds) and Jared Terrell (20 points/10 rebounds) each tallied double-doubles in the win.
- URI used an 18-4 to start the second half to take a 13-point lead (51-38) with 14:20 left in regulation.
- The Rams connected on 31 free throws - the most in a game since making 33 FT vs. Maine on Nov. 8, 2013.
- Rhody held VCU to 1-of-15 shooting from beyond the arc and dominated the glass, 48-31 - including 14-9 on the offensive glass.
- With a win on Wednesday over Saint Joseph's, Rhode Island would tie a school record with seven road wins in Atlantic 10 play.
- The record is held by the1987-88 team. Tom Penders' "Runnin' Rams" went 7-2 away from Keaney Gym en route to a 14-4 A-10 mark.
- Under Dan Hurley, the 2014-15 Rams earned six road victories en route to finishing 13-5 overall in league play.
60% OF THE TIME, IT WORKS EVERY TIME
- Hassan Martin is connecting just under 60.0% of his field goal attempts on the season - good for 25th nationally.
- He is on track to challenge Rhode Island's single-season FG% proficiency mark, currently held by Kenny Green.
- During the 1987-88 season, Green connected on 61.2% from the floor. He is the lone URI player to shoot 60% or better in a season.
- Martin has made 124 of his 209 field goal attempts - including his lone 3-point FG attempt - for a 59.3% mark so far this year.
- He ranks third in the Atlantic 10, behind Mason's Jalen Jenkins (62.4%) and UMass' Rashaan Holloway (61.0%).
- For his career, Martin is Rhody's all-time career leader in FG%, shooting 57.8% from the floor through 114 games played.
MARTIN RANKS AMONG NCAA LEADERS IN BLOCKED SHOTS, FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE
- Hassan Martin ranks ninth in blocks per game (2.78 bpg) and 25th in field goal percentage (59.3%) nationally.
- On the NCAA active career statistics list, Martin ranks second in career blocks (312) and sixth in blocked shot average (2.74 bpg).
- His 57.8% career field goal percentage is the 30th-best shooting proficiency mark among all active players.
- In the A-10 record book, Martin ranks eighth in blocks and needs eight more to pass C.J. Aiken of Saint Joseph's (319) for seventh.
- Martin's blocked shot average of 2.74 per game would rank as the sixth-best average in A-10 history.
- He was named the 2015-16 A-10 Defensive Player of the Year after leading the A-10 in blocks for the third straight year (2.5 bpg).
- He needs 16 blocks to become URI's all-time career leader, passing Kenny Green (328 blocks, 1985-90).
NOW TRENDING: JARED TERRELL
- Jared Terrell's scoring output can be a barometer for Rhode Island's success on the floor.
- Since Jared Terrell's freshman year during the 2014-15 season - the Rams are 19-8 (.703) when he scores 15 or more points.
- This season, Rhody is 6-3 when he scores 15 or more and 14-6 when he tallies double digits.
- The Rams are 44-16 (.733) when the Weymouth, Mass. native reaches double figures in the scoring column.
- Rhode Island is 16-17 when Terrell scores less than 10 points.
LEAVE NO DOWTIN
- Freshman Jeff Dowtin has become one of the most valuable newcomers in the Atlantic 10.
- He leads the A-10 in assist/turnover ratio (3.78:1) through 16 conference games (53 assists:14 turnovers).
- Over his last three games, Dowtin has registered 18 assists while committing two turnovers in 100 total minutes of play.
- Dowtin dished out a career-best seven assists in back-to-back games at George Mason and at La Salle.
- Dowtin had his best game as a Ram on Feb. 3 at Davidson, scoring 19 points (7-11 FG; 3-4 3FG) and notching four assists.
- The 6-3 guard ranks seventh on the squad in scoring (5.4 ppg) and has scored in double figures on five occasions.
- The Upper Marlboro, Md. native is a two-time Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week honoree (Jan. 2, Feb. 6).
- He has started the last 11 games at point guard, averaging 6.3 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 4.0 apg, 1.0 spg, 48:12 asst/TO (4.00:1).