How It Happened
Rhode Island's 18-4 run to start the second half - paced by three consecutive 3-pointers - gave it the lead for good in a 69-59 win over VCU on Saturday.
Trailing by one at the break - 34-33 - Hassan Martin and E.C. Matthews combined to score the first eight points of the second half. Matthews and Jared Terrell gave the Kingston Rams their largest lead of the afternoon - 13 points - at 51-38 with 14:20 to play.
VCU would counter with six unanswered points and a 9-2 run over the next 3:23, cutting it to six (53-47). The Richmond Rams' layup with 3:27 to go made it 59-57, but that would be their final field goal of the game. Rhody sealed the victory by connecting on 8-of-10 from the charity stripe.
Martin scored the first eight points of the game for Rhode Island through the first four minutes of the game, but exited shortly after due to foul trouble. He would play six first half minutes. Neither Ram squad led by more than six points through the first 20:00 of play. Both teams combined to attempt 37 first half free throws, as Rhody made 16-of-19 and VCU 12-of-18.
Inside the Box Score
- Hassan Martin finished with 17 points and a career-high 18 rebounds. Martin corralled 12 defensive boards and six on the offensive glass. The senior forward was 6-of-11 from the floor and added two blocked shots.
- Jared Terrell posted his second career double-double, with 20 points and a career-best 10 boards. Terrell connected on 3-of-6 from beyond the arc for his fifth 20-point performance of the season.
- Jarvis Garrett made 12-of-12 from the charity stripe in 14 minutes of play off the bench.
- Kuran Iverson filled another stat sheet - five points, eight rebounds, three blocked shots and a steal in 36 minutes of play. It was his 10th game with eight or more boards in A-10 play.
- Jeff Dowtin played 35 minutes, dishing out four assists to just one turnover against the VCU defense. Over his last three games, the freshman point guard has totaled 18 assists to two turnovers in 100 total minutes.
- E.C. Matthews added eight points and four rebounds in 22 foul-plagued minutes.
- For the game, Rhode Island shot 35.4% (17-48) from the floor, including 4-of-14 from the perimeter and 31-of-39 from the line (79.5%).
- The Rams controlled the glass, 48-31, and blocked eight shots.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
March 5, 2014 - That was the last time two Rhody players registered double-doubles in the same game. Hassan Martin (13p/12r) and T.J. Buchanan (14p/11r) each achieved the statistical feat vs. Fordham.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
14 and 10 - Rhody grabbed 14 offensive rebounds on the afternoon and converted them into 10 second-chance points. Martin had a team-high six offensive boards while Terrell added five. 36 of its 67 points in the paint; close to 54% of its scoring.
Rhode Island heads to Hawk Hill on Wednesday, March 1 to play the second of two meetings against Saint Joseph's.
The Rams and Hawks tipoff at Hagan Arena at 7 p.m. and the game will air live nationally on the American Sports Network. It is the final regular season road game for Rhode Island. URI earned a 88-58 victory over SJU on Jan. 3.
The game can be heard live locally on the Rhody Sports Network on B101 (101.5 FM) and through the iHeartMedia app, with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull.