Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: vs. VCU
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
- Blue Out – Limited Edition Keaney Blue t-shirt giveaway, presented by KDMF and Newport Propane
- Family Four Pack – four tickets, popcorns and sodas for $75
RHODE ISLAND VS. VCU - ALL-TIME SERIES
- Rhode Island and VCU face off in the lone meeting during the regular season.
- This is the ninth all-time meeting - and fifth in A-10 play - between the two teams.
- VCU leads the all-time series, 6-2, which began with a H/H series in 1994-95.
- Last year in Richmond, VCU earned a 83-67 victory on Feb. 16, 2016.
- VCU has won all four meetings with Rhode Island since joining the A-10.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 272-324 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last year, the Rams were 9-9 and the #7 seed in the 2016 A-10 Championship.
- In 2014-15, Rhody posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
- Since 2014-15, Rhode Island is 32-19 (.627) in Atlantic 10 regular season games.
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 156-78 all-time record in the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- Rhody is 69-52 in Atlantic 10 play at the Ryan Center, including back-to-back 7-2 marks in home league games in 2014-15 and 2015-16.
- The Rams have won at least 11 home games at the Ryan Center on 10 occasions.
- URI has won 19 of its last 21 and 28 of its last 32 home non-conference games.
- The Rams are 88-26 overall in non-conference play (79-25 in the regular season).
- Rhode Island's inaugural victory in the building was a 73-71 OT affair vs. USC (Nov. 26, 2002).
- Rhody's home game on Dec. 6, 2016 - a 51-39 victory over ODU - marked the 150th all-time win at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
RHODE ISLAND'S SCHEDULE: ONE OF THE BEST IN THE NATION
- Through games of Feb. 22, Rhode Island's non-conference strength of schedule is ranked 16th nationally.
- Rhody's overall strength of schedule is 52nd. Both figures rank first in the Atlantic 10.
- Rhode Island has faced six RPI top 100 non-conference foes - Duke (12), Cincinnati (14), Providence (54), Houston (59), Belmont (63), and Valpo (72).
- The average RPI of the teams in Rhode Island's nine losses this season - 71.
- Total point differential in those games - 59 points (6.6 ppg avg. differential).
- Four A-10 opponents are also top 100 RPI teams: Dayton (24), VCU (26), St. Bonaventure (89), and Richmond (96).
- In total, Rhode Island's schedule features 10 top 100 RPI opponents (11 total games).
- Rhode Island is 6-1 versus teams ranked 101-150.
- KenPom.com rankings features 10 top 100 opponents: Duke (13), Cincinnati (23), Dayton (34), Houston (40), VCU (43), Providence (56), Belmont (82), St. Bonaventure (86), Davidson (91), and Valpo (98).
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - FEBRUARY 25
- Rhode Island is 20-10 overall and 6-4 in A-10 games in games played on February 25.
- The Rams played - and won - their first-ever basketball game on February 25, 1903, downing East Greenwich Academy, 25-8.
- Other notable February 25 game came in 2009, when a Marquis Jones layup at the buzzer gave Rhody a 93-91 OT victory over Dayton.
- Hiram Rivels (R-Mississippi) became the first African-American member of Congress on February 25, 1870.
- The United States Steel Company was incorporated on February 25, 1901 by J.P. Morgan and attorney Elbert Gary.
- On February 25, 1913, the 16th Amendment was ratified, giving Congress power to levy and collect income taxes.
- February 25 marks the dual celebration of National Clam Chowder Day and National Chocolate Covered Nut Day.
- Notable February 25 birthdays: professional tennis player Genie Bouchard, former Secretary of State John Foster Dulles, musician George Harrison, Australian Olympic gold medalist (1,500m) Herb Elliott, and actress (and fictional Secretary of State) Tea Leoni.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Tonight marks the 100th start for Hassan Martin in 113 career games for the senior forward.
- Rhode Island has had single-digit turnovers in 11 games this season. They are 8-3 in those games - including eight straight wins.
- The Rams currently hold a +7.6 scoring margin through 27 games - it is the highest margin since the 1996-97 season (+10.1).
- URI has won six A-10 road games - tied for the second-most in program history. The 1987-88 Rams earned seven A-10 road wins.
- Jared Terrell's 18 first half points at La Salle was the second-highest single half scoring total (Hassan Martin - 19 vs. Belmont).
- After making 47 3FG through its first four A-10 games (2-2), Rhode Island has hit a combined 54 3FG over its last 11 (8-3).
THE LA SALLE GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- Jared Terrell scored 18 of his game-high 24 points in the first half. He connected on 11-of-16 from the floor in 35 minutes of play.
- The Rams scored 36 of their 67 points in the paint; close to 54% of the total scoring.
- Rhody's freshmen - Cyril Langevine and Jeff Dowtin posted season-highs in scoring (11 pts) and assists (7), respectively.
- Kuran Iverson pulled down game-high 10 rebounds - his fifth double-digit rebounding game in A-10 play.
60% OF THE TIME, IT WORKS EVERY TIME
- Hassan Martin is connecting just under 60.0% of his field goal attempts on the season - good for 25th nationally.
- He is on track to challenge Rhode Island's single-season FG% proficiency mark, currently held by Kenny Green.
- During the 1987-88 season, Green connected on 61.2% from the floor. He is the lone URI player to shoot 60% or better in a season.
- Martin has made 118 of his 198 field goal attempts - including his lone 3-point FG attempt - for a 59.6% mark so far this year.
- He ranks third in the Atlantic 10, behind Mason's Jalen Jenkins (61.7%) and UMass' Rashaan Holloway (61.3%).
- For his career, Martin is Rhody's all-time career leader in FG%, shooting 57.9% from the floor through 113 games played.
MARTIN RANKS AMONG NCAA LEADERS IN BLOCKED SHOTS, FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE
- Hassan Martin ranks ninth in blocks per game (2.82 bpg) and 25th in field goal percentage (59.6%) nationally.
- On the NCAA active career statistics list, Martin ranks second in career blocks (310) and sixth in blocked shot average (2.74 bpg).
- His 57.9% career field goal percentage is the 30th-best shooting proficiency mark among all active players.
- In the A-10 record book, Martin ranks eighth in blocks and needs 10 more to pass C.J. Aiken of Saint Joseph's (319) for seventh.
- Martin's blocked shot average of 2.74 per game would rank as the sixth-best average in A-10 history.
- He was named the 2015-16 A-10 Defensive Player of the Year after leading the A-10 in blocks for the third straight year (2.5 bpg).
- He needs 18 blocks to become URI's all-time career leader, passing Kenny Green (328 blocks, 1985-90).
TAKE IT E.C.
- E.C. Matthews leads the Rams' balanced scoring attack at 14.6 points per game.
- He has scored 17 or more points on 11 occasions this season - the Rams are 10-1 in those games.
- Matthews has scored 20 or more points seven times this season and 26 times in his career.
NOW TRENDING: JARED TERRELL
- Since Jared Terrell's freshman year during the 2014-15 season - the Rams are 17-8 (.667) when he scores 15 or more points.
- The Rams are 41-17 (.707) when the Weymouth, Mass. native reaches double figures in the scoring column.
- Rhode Island is 16-17 when Terrell scores less than 10 points.
LEAVE NO DOWTIN
- Freshman Jeff Dowtin has become one of the most valuable newcomers in the Atlantic 10.
- He leads the A-10 in assist/turnover ratio (3.76:1) through 15 conference games (49 assists:13 turnovers).
- Dowtin dished out a career-best seven assists in back-to-back games at George Mason and at La Salle.
- He has started the last 11 games at point guard, averaging 6.7 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 4.0 apg, 1.1 spg, 44:11 asst/TO (4.00:1), 31 min/g.
- Dowtin had his best game as a Ram on Feb. 3 at Davidson, scoring 19 points (7-11 FG; 3-4 3FG) and notching four assists.
- The 6-3 guard ranks seventh on the squad in scoring (5.4 ppg) and has scored in double figures on five occasions.
- The Upper Marlboro, Md. native is a two-time Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week honoree (Jan. 2, Feb. 6).
IVERSON AVERAGING CLOSE TO DOUBLE-DOUBLE IN ATLANTIC 10 PLAY
- Kuran Iverson is averaging nearly a double-double in A-10 play, checking in at 10.6 points and 8.8 boards per game.
- In A-10 games, Iverson ranks third behind VCU's Justin Tillman (10.0) and Mason's Marquise Moore (9.9).
- For the season (27 games), Iverson leads the Rams on the glass (7.5 rpg), is fourth in scoring (9.4 ppg), and third in assists (1.8 apg).
- Following the Jan. 28 game vs. St. Bona, Iverson said: "I don't really look for offense anymore. I just try to play defense and rebound."
- Dan Hurley said: "In terms of consistency of effort, energy level, intensity, he's been maybe our most consistent player," in A-10 play