How It Happened
Rhode Island used a strong, 40 minute defensive effort to outlast La Salle, 67-56, on Tuesday night at Tom Gola Arena.
The Explorers scored the first basket of the game and after Hassan Martin countered back on the next Rhody possession, the Rams would not trail the rest of the way. La Salle would tie the game at 26-26 on a traditional 3-point play with 8:09 to play in the first half.
The Rams countered with a 12-2 run over the next three minutes, taking a 38-28 lead on a Cyril Langevine layup. Rhody would take a 40-30 advantage into the locker room at the break.
In the second half, the Rams continued to build on its lead to start the second half. A Jared Terrell layup with 12:40 left pushed the lead to 15 points - at 52-37. Rhody took its largest lead of the game after E.C. Matthews connected on a 3-pointer with just under four minutes to play, leading 67-49.
Inside the Box Score
- Jared Terrell led all scorers with a career-high 24 points - 18 coming in the first half. The junior guard was 11-of-16 from the floor, including 9-of-10 from inside the arc. He also added two boards and two steals.
- Cyril Langevine added a career-high in the scoring column off the bench. The freshman forward made all four of his field goal attempts and 3-of-4 from the foul line. He also added six boards and a steal and 19 minutes.
- Hassan Martin and E.C. Matthews each had 10 points. Martin added four boards, two assists, and two blocks in 13 minutes. Matthews chipped in with three boards, two assists, and two steals.
- Kuran Iverson corralled 10 rebounds, six points, and five assists in a season-high 37 minutes.
- For the second straight game, Jeff Dowtin registered a season-best seven assists. His A-10 best assist/turnover ratio improved to 3.77:1 (49:13).
- For the game, Rhode Island shot 46.6% (27-58) from the floor, including 5-of-18 from the perimeter and 8-of-14 from the line. The Rams registered 18 assists on 27 made baskets and turned it over nine times.
- Rhody forced 13 turnovers and scored 10 points off 10 offensive rebounds.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
52.6% - Rhode Island shot 52.6% from the floor in the second half (10-19).
Stat of the Game, pt. II
36 - Rhody scored 36 of its 67 points in the paint; close to 54% of its scoring.
Rhode Island hosts VCU on Saturday, Feb. 25 in a nationally televised game between two of the top teams in the Atlantic 10.
The game will air live nationally on ESPN2 at 2 p.m. ET. Mike Corey and Tim Welsh have the broadcast call. It will be the lone regular season meeting between the Kingston and Richmond Rams.
The game can be heard live locally on the Rhody Sports Network on B101 (101.5 FM) and through the iHeartMedia app, with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull.