Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: at La Salle
TV: CBS Sports Network
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS LA SALLE
- Rhode Island and La Salle play the second of their two regular season matchups.
- URI holds a 25-9 lead in the all-time series, which dates back to 1976-77.
- The Explorers cruised to a 87-75 win in Kingston on Jan. 12 in the first meeting.
- The Rams are 11-5 all-time in games played at La Salle.
- La Salle assistant coach Horace "Pappy" Owens is a 1983 graduate of URI. He scored 1,750 career points and was inducted into the Athletics Hall of Fame in 1996.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 271-324 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last year, the Rams were 9-9 and the #7 seed in the 2016 A-10 Championship.
- In 2014-15, Rhody posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
- Since 2014-15, Rhode Island is 31-19 (.620) in Atlantic 10 regular season games.
RHODE ISLAND'S SCHEDULE: ONE OF THE BEST IN THE NATION
- Through Feb. 19, Rhode Island's non-conference strength of schedule is ranked 20th.
- Rhody's overall SOS is 51st. Both figures rank first in the Atlantic 10.
- Rhody faced six top 100 non-conference foes - Duke (11), Cincinnati (14), Houston (61), Belmont (64), Providence (66), and Valpo (72).
- The average RPI of the teams in the nine losses this season - 73.
- Total point differential in those games - 59 points (6.6 ppg avg. differential).
- Five A-10 opponents are also top 100 RPI teams: VCU (25), Dayton (27), St. Bonaventure (95), La Salle (99) Richmond (100).
- In total, Rhode Island's schedule features 11 top 100 RPI opponents (13 total games).
- KenPom.com rankings features 10 top 100 opponents: Duke (12), Cincinnati (22), Dayton (32), Houston (40), VCU (41), Providence (58), Belmont (81), Davidson (84), St. Bonaventure (88), and Valpo (97).
60% OF THE TIME, IT WORKS EVERY TIME
- Hassan Martin is connecting on 60.0% of his field goal attempts on the season - good for 21st nationally.
- He is on track to challenge Rhode Island's single-season FG% proficiency mark, currently held by Kenny Green.
- During the 1987-88 season, Green connected on 61.2% from the floor. He is the lone URI player to shoot 60% or better in a season.
- Martin has made 114 of his 190 field goal attempts - including his lone 3-point FG attempt - so far this year.
- He ranks third in the Atlantic 10, behind Mason's Jalen Jenkins (61.8%) and UMass' Rashaan Holloway (61.3%).
- For his career, Martin is Rhody's all-time career leader in FG%, shooting 57.9% from the floor through 112 games played.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - FEBRUARY 21
- Rhode Island is 23-11 overall and 4-4 in A-10 games in games played on February 21.
- The Rams have won their last two games played on the February 21 calendar date, including a 71-56 win at George Mason in 2015.
- Congress placed the president pro tempore of the Senate second in line of presidential succession behind the VP on February 21, 1792.
- The Washington Monument was officially dedicated on February 21, 1895.
- Malcolm X was assassinated inside the Audobon Ballroom in Washington Heights on February 21, 1965.
- The Jackson 5 made their debut on American Bandstand on February 21, 1970.
- Richard M. Nixon became the first U.S. President to visit China on February 21, 1972.
- Notable February 21 birthdays: Congressman and civil right leader John Lewis, actor Alan Rickman, actress Jennifer Love Hewitt, singer Nina Simone, chef Lidia Bastianich, and former Mexican dictator General Antonio Lopez de Santa Ana.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- In his two previous seasons at Indiana, Stanford Robinson had eight double-digit scoring games. He has six this season for Rhody.
- Through 14 games in A-10 play, Jeff Dowtin is posting a 3.50:1 assist/turnover ratio (42:12) - best in the conference.
- Rhode Island's 11.1 turnovers/game ranks 23rd nationally and is the lowest for the Rams since the 2009-10 season (10.9).
- When E.C. Matthews scores 18 points or more this season, URI is 9-1. Since 2013-14, the Rams are 26-8 when E.C. has 18 or more.
- Six Rhode Island players have tallied at least 40 assists on the season.
- After making 47 3FG through its first four A-10 games (2-2), Rhode Island has hit a combined 49 3FG over its last 10 (7-3).
THE MASON GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- URI used a 15-4 first half run to take a 13-point lead and outlasted a Mason 21-3 second half run in the win.
- Stanford Robinson led Rhody with a career-high 21 points (5-8 FG; 3-3 3FG; 8-11 FT) to go with three steals in 21 minutes.
- For the seventh time this season, Rhody was -7 in free throw attempts. URI is now 1-6 in those games.
- Jeff Dowtin dished out a career-best seven assists and did not commit a turnover in 35 minutes.
MARTIN RANKS AMONG NCAA LEADERS IN BLOCKED SHOTS, FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE
- Hassan Martin ranks eighth in blocks per game (2.86 bpg) and 21st in field goal percentage (60.0%) nationally.
- On the NCAA active career statistics list, Martin ranks second in career blocks (308) and sixth in blocked shot average (2.74 bpg).
- His 57.9% career field goal percentage is the 30th-best shooting proficiency mark among all active players.
- In the A-10 record book, Martin ranks eighth in blocks and needs 12 more to pass C.J. Aiken of Saint Joseph's (319) for seventh.
- Martin's blocked shot average of 2.74 per game would rank as the sixth-best average in A-10 history.
- He was named the 2015-16 A-10 Defensive Player of the Year after leading the A-10 in blocks for the third straight year (2.5 bpg).
- He needs 20 blocks to become URI's all-time career leader, passing Kenny Green (328 blocks, 1985-90).
STANROSS THE BOSS AT MASON
- Stanford Robinson poured in a career-best 21 points off the bench, helping pace a key road victory at George Mason on Feb. 18.
- The junior connected on 5-of-8 from the floor, including all three attempts from beyond the arc.
- He scored 13 of his 21 in the second half, including 8-of-11 shooting from the foul line.
- Robinson also notched a team-best three steals - including the game-sealing midcourt interception with less than :02 to go.
ALLOW ME TO RE-INTRODUCE MYSELF - GARRETT RETURNS TO RHODY LINEUP VS. FORDHAM
- Jarvis Garrett returned to the Rhody lineup on Feb. 15 against Fordham after missing the previous eight games.
- Garrett played 17 minutes, tallying five points (2-4 FG; 1-3 3FG) and a steal.
- He had been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, an auto-immune disorder affecting the digestive system.
- Prior to his illness, Garrett averaged 7.9 points, 2.2 rebounds, 4.1 assists and ranked second in the A-10 in assist/turnover (2.24:1).
LEAVE NO DOWTIN
- Freshman Jeff Dowtin has become one of the most valuable newcomers in the Atlantic 10.
- He leads the A-10 in assist/turnover ratio (3.50:1) through 14 conference games (42 assists:12 turnovers).
- Dowtin dished out a career-best seven assists (zero turnovers) at George Mason on Feb. 18.
- He has started the last 10 games at point guard, averaging 7.2 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 3.7 apg, 1.2 spg, 37:10 asst/TO (3.70:1), 31 min/g.
- Dowtin had his best game as a Ram on Feb. 3 at Davidson, scoring 19 points (7-11 FG; 3-4 3FG) and notching four assists.
- The 6-3 guard ranks seventh on the squad in scoring (5.6 ppg) and has scored in double figures on five occasions.
- The Upper Marlboro, Md. native is a two-time Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week honoree (Jan. 2, Feb. 6).
IVERSON AVERAGING CLOSE TO DOUBLE-DOUBLE IN ATLANTIC 10 PLAY
- Kuran Iverson is averaging nearly a double-double in A-10 play, checking in at 10.9 points and 8.7 boards per game.
- In A-10 games, Iverson ranks fourth behind VCU's Justin Tillman and Mason's Marquise Moore (10.0) and T.J. Cline (8.8) of Richmond.
- For the season (26 games), Iverson leads the Rams on the glass (7.4 rpg), is fourth in scoring (9.5 ppg), and third in assists (1.8 apg).
- Following the Jan. 28 game vs. St. Bona, Iverson said: "I don't really look for offense anymore. I just try to play defense and rebound."
- Dan Hurley said: "In terms of consistency of effort, energy level, intensity, he's been maybe our most consistent player," in A-10 play.
SUPER MARIO RUN
- The Super Mario Brothers - E.C. Matthews and Hassan Martin - have played together in 85 career games.
- Rhode Island is 50-35 in those games, including a 36-18 mark over their last 54 games on the floor together.
- Over the past two seasons, Matthews and Martin have appeared in the same game on just 21 occasions - 20 coming this season.
- On Jan. 21 at Duquesne, Matthews (19) and Martin (20) combined for 39 points - over 43% of the Rhody offense.
- When Matthews and Martin each score in double figures this season, URI is 8-1.
- Since 2013-14, the Rams are 21-10 when Matthews and Martin each tally 10 or more points in the same game.
NOW TRENDING: JARED TERRELL
- Since Jared Terrell's freshman year during the 2014-15 season - the Rams are 16-8 (.667) when he scores 15 or more points.
- The Rams are 40-17 (.702) when the Weymouth, Mass. native reaches double figures in the scoring column.
- Last season, Terrell led URI in scoring at 13.5 points per game - becoming the second straight sophomore to lead the squad in scoring.
- Rhode Island is 16-17 when Terrell scores less than 10 points.