How It Happened
Stanford Robinson scored 13 of his career-high 21 in a see-saw second half, as the Rams emerged victorious at George Mason this afternoon, 77-74.
Rhody led by as many as 18 points in the second half, after an E.C. Matthews jumper made it 51-33 with 16:33 to go. But Mason would begin a 21-3 push over the next 5:20, tying the ball game at 54-54 with 9:33 to play.
Two Robinson FT at the 7:11 mark put Rhody back up by six, at 61-55, but the Patriots again made a push - this time a 17-11 swing - to take their first lead of the game, at 72-71 with 1:01 to play.
But the Rams would not quit, displaying clutch play on both ends of the court over the final minute of play. Robinson converted four free throws on URI's next two possessions, putting the Rams up 75-72 with 25 ticks left. After another defensive stop, both teams closed the game out on the line. After Matthews made 1-of-2 with under five seconds to go, it was Robinson who sealed the game with an interception-style steal at half court.
Matthews got the Rams going early, scoring the team's first eight points on two 3-pointers and an elbow jumper. Leading 12-10, Rhody tacked on five straight points to start a 17-6 run that made it 29-16 A Jeff Dowtin 3-pointer with 2:23 left gave Rhody its largest lead of the half - 16 points - at 37-21.
Inside the Box Score
- The local backcourt duo of Stanford Robinson and Jeff Dowtin shined in the win.
- Robinson poured in a career-high 21 points off the bench. He made 5-of-8 from the floor, including all three 3FG, and connected on 8-of-11 from the foul line. He added four boards and three steals in 21 minutes.
- Dowtin again proved to be one of the most efficient point guards in the A-10. He had seven points (3-7 FG; 1-3 3FG), five boards, seven assists (zero turnovers) and a blocked shot in 35 minutes.
- E.C Matthews added 18 points in 28 minutes. The junior guard scored 12 of his 18 in the first half, while adding two boards and two assists.
- Kuran Iverson narrowly missed a double-double, with nine points and eight rebounds. He also dished out two assists and blocked two shots.
- Hassan Martin added six points and a blocked shot in 18 foul-plagued minutes.
- The Rhody bench scored 31 points - and combined for 10 rebounds, two blocks and four steals.
- Rhode Island shot 41.4% from the floor (24-58) and 9-of-20 from the perimeter. Rhody connected on 20-of-28 from the foul line, good for 71.4%.
- The Rams had 12 assists on 24 made field goals and committed just nine assists.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
13 - Rhode Island scored 13 points off of 13 George Mason turnovers
Stat of the Game, pt. II
-8 - George Mason went to the line 36 times, making 31 foul shots. Close to 42% of the Patriots' points came from the charity stripe.
Rhode Island plays at La Salle on Tuesday, Feb. 21 in the second of two regular season meetings between the two squads.
The game will air nationally on the CBS Sports Network at 6 p.m. Tom McCarthy, Alaa Abdelnaby, and Jon Rothstein have the call. La Salle won the first matchup of the season - 87-75 - at the Thomas M. Ryan Center on Jan. 12.
The game can be heard live locally on the Rhody Sports Network on B101 (101.5 FM) and through the iHeartMedia app, with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull.