Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: at George Mason
TV: NBC Sports Network
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS GEORGE MASON
- Today's game marks the lone regular season game versus the Rams and Patriots.
- Rhody is 3-3 all-time against George Mason, winning the last three in the series.
- The average margin over victory is just 7.8 points over the six games.
- Last year, Rhode Island earned a 81-63 win at home on Feb. 6, 2016.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 270-324 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last year, the Rams were 9-9 and the #7 seed in the 2016 A-10 Championship.
- In 2014-15, Rhody posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
- Since 2014-15, Rhode Island is 30-19 (.612) in Atlantic 10 regular season games.
RHODE ISLAND'S SCHEDULE: ONE OF THE BEST IN THE NATION
- Through Feb. 16, Rhode Island's non-conference strength of schedule is 19th.
- Rhody's overall SOS is 55th. Both figures rank first in the Atlantic 10.
- Rhody faced six top 100 non-conference foes - Duke (12), Cincinnati (16), Houston (56), Providence (57), Belmont (63), and Valpo (70).
- The average RPI of the nine losses this season - 72. Total point differential in those games - 59 points (6.6 ppg avg. differential).
- Four A-10 opponents are also top 100 RPI teams: VCU (27), Dayton (29), St. Bonaventure (97), Richmond (98). In total, Rhode Island's schedule features 10 top 100 RPI opponents (11 total games).
- KenPom.com rankings features 10 top 100 opponents: Duke (12), Cincinnati (22), Dayton (33), Houston (38), VCU (46), Providence (58), Belmont (84), Davidson (89), St. Bonaventure (92), and Valpo (96).
60% OF THE TIME, IT WORKS EVERY TIME
- Hassan Martin is connecting on 60.3% of his field goal attempts on the season - good for 21st nationally.
- He is on track to set Rhode Island's single-season FG% proficiency mark, currently held by Kenny Green.
- During the 1987-88 season, Green connected on 61.2% from the floor. He is the lone URI player to shoot 60% or better in a season.
- For his career, Martin is Rhody's all-time career leader in FG%, shooting 58.0% from the floor through 111 games played.
ALLOW ME TO RE-INTRODUCE MYSELF - GARRETT RETURNS TO RHODY LINEUP VS. FORDHAM
- Jarvis Garrett returned to the Rhody lineup on Feb. 15 against Fordham after missing the previous eight games.
- Garrett played 17 minutes, tallying five points (2-4 FG; 1-3 3FG) and a steal.
- He had been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, an auto-immune disorder affecting the digestive system.
- Prior to his illness, Garrett averaged 7.9 points, 2.2 rebounds, 4.1 assists and ranked second in the A-10 in assist/turnover (2.24:1).
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - FEBRUARY 18
- Rhode Island is 19-11 overall and 6-8 in A-10 games in games played on February 18.
- The Rams have won two of their last three games played on the February 18 calendar date, including a 75-59 win over UMass in 2015.
- The first session of the California legislature created nine Bay Area counties on February 18, 1850 in San Jose.
- Jefferson Davis was sworn in as the president of the Confederacy on February 18, 1861 in Montgomery, Alabama.
- "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain was first published on February 18, 1885.
- On February 18, 1954, the first Church of Scientology was opened in Los Angeles.
- Former FBI agent Robert Hanssen was arrested on charges of espionage and spying for the Soviet Union on February 18, 2001.
- Notable February 18 birthdays: the producer who can rap and control the maestro Dr. Dre, actor John Travolta, author Toni Morrison, and acress Molly Ringwald and producer John Hughes.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Four of URI's top 10 single-season blocked shots marks have come over the past four years - including 155 (and counting) this year.
- Rhode Island has notched eight or more steals on 11 occasions this season. They are 8-3 in those games.
- In league play (13 games), Rhode Island ranks fifth in offensive efficiency (106.1) and second in defensive efficiency (95.8).
- After making 47 3FG through its first four A-10 games (2-2), Rhode Island has hit a combined 40 3FG over its last nine (6-3).
THE FORDHAM GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- Rhode Island posted its lowest scoring total since March 5, 2005 when it managed just 39 points vs. George Washington.
- The Rams held Fordham to 53 points - the fifth time in A-10 play that the defense yielded fewer than 60 points.
- Hassan Martin finished with 15 points, seven boards, and three blocks - his 10th game this season with at least three swats.
- URI shot a season-low 30.4% from the floor and was held without a field goal over the final 7:38 of regulation.
MARTIN RANKS AMONG NCAA LEADERS IN BLOCKED SHOTS, FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE
- Hassan Martin ranks fifth in blocks per game (3.00 bpg) and 21st in field goal percentage (60.3%) nationally.
- On the NCAA active career statistics list, Martin ranks second in career blocks (304) and sixth in blocked shot average (2.76 bpg).
- His 58.0% career field goal percentage (458-788) is the 30th-best shooting proficiency mark among all active players.
- In the A-10 record book, Martin ranks eighth in blocks and needs 12 more to pass C.J. Aiken of Saint Joseph's (319) for seventh.
- Martin's blocked shot average of 2.76 per game would rank as the sixth-best average in A-10 history.
- He was named the 2015-16 A-10 Defensive Player of the Year after leading the A-10 in blocks for the third straight year (2.5 bpg).
- He needs 21 blocks to become URI's all-time career leader, passing Kenny Green (328 blocks, 1985-90).
IVERSON AVERAGING CLOSE TO DOUBLE-DOUBLE IN ATLANTIC 10 PLAY
- Kuran Iverson is averaging nearly a double-double in A-10 play, checking in at 11.1 points and 8.8 boards per game.
- In A-10 games, Iverson ranks third behind VCU's Justin Tillman (10.3) and Mason's Marquise Moore (10.0) in 13 conference contests.
- For the season (25 games), Iverson leads the Rams on the glass (7.4 rpg), is fourth in scoring (9.5 ppg), and third in assists (1.8 apg).
- Following the Jan. 28 game vs. St. Bona, Iverson said: "I don't really look for offense anymore. I just try to play defense and rebound."
- Dan Hurley said: "In terms of consistency of effort, energy level, intensity, he's been maybe our most consistent player," in A-10 play.
LEAVE NO DOWTIN
- Freshman Jeff Dowtin has become one of the most valuable freshmen in the Atlantic 10.
- He has started the last nine games at PG, averaging 7.2 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 3.3 apg, 1.3 spg, 30:10 asst/TO (3.00:1), 31 min/g.
- Dowtin had his best game as a Ram on Feb. 3 at Davidson, scoring 19 points (7-11 FG; 3-4 3FG) and notching four assists.
- The 6-3 guard ranks sixth on the squad in scoring (5.5 ppg) and has scored in double figures on five occasions.
- The Upper Marlboro, Md. native is a two-time Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week (Jan. 2, Feb. 6).
- On Jan. 12, Dowtin scored 11 points, connecting on 3-of-6 from beyond the arc versus La Salle.
RHODY RECORD BOOK RESET - CAREER
22. E.C. Matthews: 1,365 points ; needs 12 more points to pass Ron Marozzi (1974-78, 1,377 points)
44. Hassan Martin: 1,161 points; needs 11 more points to pass Fred Conley (1938-41, 1,187 points)
51. Jared Terrell: 1,063 points; needs 14 more points to pass Dave Stenhouse (1952-55, 1,077 points).
NR Hassan Martin: 710 rebounds; needs six more rebounds to crack URI's career top 10 list
10. Jarvis Garrett: 304 assists; needs 18 to pass Preston Murphy (322, 1995-99)
1. Hassan Martin: 58.0%; is currently Rhody's career FG% leader
2. Hassan Martin: 307 blocks; needs 21 more blocks to become URI's all-time blocks leader
t5. E.C. Matthews: 162 3-pointers made; needs 10 more made 3FG to pass Dustin Hellenga (172, 2001-04)