Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: vs. Fordham
TV: myRITV / Facebook Live
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
- 90's Night – 90's themed prizes and giveaways to students throughout the game
- Weeknight Value Pack – two tickets, two popcorns for $25
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS FORDHAM
- Rhode Island faces Fordham in the lone regular season matchup.
- URI holds a 38-25 lead in the all-time series, which dates back to Jan. 3, 1942.
- The Rhody Rams have won four of the last five and six of the last 10 matchups.
- Last year, URI and Fordham split their regular season series.
- On March 5, 2016 Fordham pulled away late to earn a 64-61 win at Rose Hill Gym.
- The Keaney Rams won 79-63 on Jan. 27, 2016 in Kingston, R.I.
- This year marks the first time since Fordham joined the Atlantic 10 in 1995-96 that the two teams are not playing a home/home regular season series.
- Rhody is 20-8 all-time when playing as the home team vs. Fordham.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 270-323 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last year, the Rams were 9-9 and the #7 seed in the 2016 A-10 Championship.
- In 2014-15, Rhody posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
- Since 2014-15, Rhode Island is 30-18 (.625) in Atlantic 10 regular season games.
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 156-77 all-time record in the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- Rhody is 69-51 in Atlantic 10 play at the Ryan Center, including back-to-back 7-2 marks in home league games in 2014-15 and 2015-16.
- The Rams have won at least 11 home games at the Ryan Center on 10 occasions.
- URI has won 19 of its last 21 and 28 of its last 32 home non-conference games.
- The Rams are 88-26 overall in non-conference play (79-25 in the regular season).
- Rhode Island's inaugural victory in the building was a 73-71 OT affair vs. USC (Nov. 26, 2002).
- Rhody's home game on Dec. 6, 2016 - a 51-39 victory over ODU - marked the 150th all-time win at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
RHODE ISLAND'S TOURNAMENT RESUME: A SNAPSHOT OF SOME OF THE KEY NUMBERS
- NCAA RPI: 40 | KenPom: 44 | KPI: 50 | ESPN BPI: 36 | Sagarin: 50 | Composite Average: 44
- URI's overall strength of schedule (SOS) ranks 40th nationally. The Rams' non-conference SOS is 19th.
- The Rams highest-rated win of the season: Cincinnati (RPI: 15 | KenPom: 21 | KPI: 18 | ESPN BPI: 16 | Sagarin: 18)
- URI's lowest-rate loss of the season: La Salle (RPI: 98 | KenPom: 113 | KPI: 98 | ESPN BPI: 114 | Sagarin: 110)
- Average RPI of opponents: 130 | Average RPI wins: 167 | Average RPI losses: 57 | Opponent SOS: 89
- Record vs. 1-50: 1-3 | Record vs. 51-100: 1-5 | Scoring Margin: +8.4 | Road/Neutral Record: 5-6
RHODE ISLAND'S SCHEDULE: ONE OF THE BEST IN THE NATION
- Through games of Feb. 13, Rhode Island's non-conference strength of schedule (SOS) is 19th nationally. URI's overall SOS is 40th.
- URI faced two RPI top 20 teams on Nov. 19-20 as part of the Hall of Fame Tipoff Tournament - Cincinnati (15), Duke (15).
- The Rams earned a 76-71 win over the Bearcats on Nov. 19 before falling to Duke, 75-65, on Nov. 20.
- Rhody faced six total top 100 non-conference foes - Houston (59), Belmont (64), Providence (67), and Valpo (73).
- The average RPI of the eight losses this season - 57. Total point differential in those games - 48 points (6.0 ppg avg. differential).
- Four A-10 opponents (six total games) are also top 100 RPI teams: VCU (27), Dayton (28), Richmond (89), La Salle (98).
- In total, Rhode Island's schedule features 10 top 100 RPI opponents over 12 total games in non-conference and A-10 play.
- KenPom.com rankings features 10 top 100 opponents: Duke (14), Cincinnati (21), Dayton (33), Houston (37), VCU (43), Providence (60), Belmont (73), Davidson (90), Valpo (95), and St. Bonaventure (99).
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Rhode Island posted a negative assist/turnover mark last time out vs. Dayton (10:11). URI is 3-3 this season when that happens.
- Hassan Martin is one of 11 players in Rhode Island history with more than 1,100 points and 700 rebounds in his career.
- Since 2014-15, Rhode Island is 11-7 in games played during the month of February.
- After making 47 3FG through its first four A-10 games (2-2), Rhode Island has hit a combined 38 3FG over its last eight (6-2).
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - FEBRUARY 15
- Rhode Island is 22-12 overall and 4-5 in A-10 games in games played on February 15.
- URI has lost its last four games played on February 15 - all in Atlantic 10 play.
- The U.S.S. Maine sank in Havana Harbor, taking the lives of 258 sailors on February 15, 1898.
- Canada unfurled its current flag with the red Maple Leaf in Ottawa on February 15, 1965.
- The Cleveland Browns fired head coach Bill Belichick on February 15, 1996. He compiled a 36-44 record during his tenure.
- Notable February 15 birthdays: women's suffrage pioneer Susan B. Anthony, astronomer Galileo Galilei, and comedian Chris Farley.
THE DAYTON GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- For the first time in four games, Rhode Island posted a negative assist/turnover mark (10 assists to 11 turnovers).
- Kuran Iverson led all scorers with a career-high 20 points (7-12 FG; 3-4 3FG; 3-4 FT).
- The Rams went to the line 32 times - including 25 in the second half. It was the third straight game with 30+ FT attempts.
- There were 11 lead changes and nine ties throughout the game.
RHODE ISLAND THROUGH 12 ATLANTIC 10 GAMES - ALL-TIME
- For the 10th time in program history, Rhode Island has posted at least and 8-4 record through its first 12 Atlantic 10 contests.
- Four times - 2014-15, 2006-07, 1997-98, and 1987-88 - Rhody opened A-10 play with a 9-3 mark through the first 12.
- The Rams went 8-4 through the first 12 games of A-10 play in 2008-09, 1998-99, 1996-97, 1991-92, and 1989-90.
- Of those 10 seasons, Rhode Island advanced to the NCAA Tournament four times and the NIT on three occasions.
MARTIN RANKS AMONG NCAA LEADERS IN BLOCKED SHOTS, FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE
- Hassan Martin ranks fifth in blocks per game (2.95 bpg) and 19th in field goal percentage (61.0%) nationally.
- On the NCAA active career statistics list, Martin ranks second in career blocks (304) and fifth in blocked shot average (2.76 bpg).
- His 58.1% career field goal percentage (458-788) is the 30th-best shooting proficiency mark among all active players.
- In the A-10 record book, Martin ranks eighth in blocks and needs 15 more to pass C.J. Aiken of Saint Joseph's (319) for seventh.
- Martin's blocked shot average of 2.76 per game would rank as the sixth-best average in A-10 history.
- He was named the 2015-16 A-10 Defensive Player of the Year after leading the A-10 in blocks for the third straight year (2.5 bpg).
- He needs 24 blocks to become URI's all-time career leader, passing Kenny Green (328 blocks, 1985-90).
IVERSON AVERAGING CLOSE TO DOUBLE-DOUBLE IN ATLANTIC 10 PLAY
- Kuran Iverson is averaging nearly a double-double in A-10 play, checking in at 11.7 points and 9.1 boards per game.
- In A-10 games, Iverson ranks third behind VCU's Justin Tillman (10.1) and Mason's Marquise Moore (9.8) in 12 conference contests.
- For the season (24 games), Iverson leads the Rams on the glass (7.5 rpg), is fourth in scoring (9.8 ppg), and third in assists (1.8 apg).
- Following the Jan. 28 game vs. St. Bona, Iverson said: "I don't really look for offense anymore. I just try to play defense and rebound."
- Dan Hurley said: "In terms of consistency of effort, energy level, intensity, he's been maybe our most consistent player," in A-10 play.
SUPER MARIO RUN
- The Super Mario Brothers - E.C. Matthews and Hassan Martin - have played together in 83 career games.
- Rhode Island is 49-34 in those games, including a 35-17 mark over their last 52 games on the floor together.
- Over the past two seasons, Matthews and Martin have appeared in the same game on just 20 occasions - 19 coming this season.
- On Jan. 21 at Duquesne, Matthews (19) and Martin (20) combined for 39 points - over 43% of the Rhody offense.
- When Matthews and Martin each score in double figures this season, URI is 8-1.
- Since 2013-14, the Rams are 21-10 when Matthews and Martin each tally 10 or more points in the same game.
- Nicola Akele played one of his best games in a Rhode Island uniform at Massachusetts on Feb. 7.
- The versatile sophomore forward had 12 points (5-7 FG; 1-2 3FG), six rebounds, three assists and three turnovers in 18 minutes.
- His offensive rebound and putback bucket as time expired in the first half gave Rhody a six-point lead (33-27) at the break.
- The six rebounds, three assists and three steals were all career-highs for the sophomore from Treviso, Italy.
LEAVE NO DOWTIN
- Freshman Jeff Dowtin has become one of the most valuable freshmen in the Atlantic 10.
- He has started the last eight games at PG, averaging 7.9 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 3.4 apg, 1.4 spg, 25:6 asst/TO (3.86:1), 31 min/g.
- Dowtin had his best game as a Ram on Feb. 3 at Davidson, scoring 19 points (7-11 FG; 3-4 3FG) and notching four assists.
- The 6-3 guard ranks sixth on the squad in scoring (5.7 ppg) and has scored in double figures on five occasions.
- The Upper Marlboro, Md. native is a two-time Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week (Jan. 2, Feb. 6).
- On Jan. 12, Dowtin scored 11 points, connecting on 3-of-6 from beyond the arc versus La Salle.