Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: vs. Dayton
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
- Rally Towel giveaway – all fans in attendance will receive a free blue rally towel, sponsored by URI 125
- Family Four Pack – four tickets, four popcorns, four sodas for $75
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS DAYTON
- The Rams face Dayton for the 32nd time overall in the history of the two programs.
- Dayton leads the all-time series, 17-14 which dates back to the 1939-40 season.
- On Jan. 6, the Flyers took the first meeting of the season - 67-64 - at UD Arena.
- The last four meetings have been decided by a total of 19 points.
- URI is 8-5 vs. Dayton at home, including a 6-3 mark at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 270-322 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last year, the Rams were 9-9 and the #7 seed in the 2016 A-10 Championship.
- In 2014-15, Rhody posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
- Since 2014-15, Rhode Island is 30-17 (.638) in Atlantic 10 regular season games.
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 156-76 all-time record in the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- Rhody is 69-50 in Atlantic 10 play at the Ryan Center, including back-to-back 7-2 marks in home league games in 2014-15 and 2015-16.
- The Rams have won at least 11 home games at the Ryan Center on 10 occasions.
- URI has won 19 of its last 21 and 28 of its last 32 home non-conference games.
- The Rams are 88-26 overall in non-conference play (79-25 in the regular season).
- Rhode Island's inaugural victory in the building was a 73-71 OT affair vs. USC (Nov. 26, 2002).
- Rhody's home game on Dec. 6, 2016 - a 51-39 victory over ODU - marked the 150th all-time win at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
RHODE ISLAND'S SCHEDULE: ONE OF THE BEST IN THE NATION
- Through games of Feb. 8, Rhode Island's non-conference strength of schedule (SOS) is 19th nationally. URI's overall SOS is 47th.
- URI faced two RPI top 20 teams on Nov. 19-20 as part of the Hall of Fame Tipoff Tournament - Cincinnati (15), Duke (19).
- The Rams earned a 76-71 win over the Bearcats on Nov. 19 before falling to Duke, 75-65, on Nov. 20.
- Rhody faced six total top 100 non-conference foes - Belmont (66), Valpo (67), Houston (70), and Providence (73) .
- The average RPI of the seven losses this season - 66. Total point differential in those games - 47 points (6.7 ppg avg. differential).
- Four A-10 opponents (six total games) are also top 100 RPI teams: VCU (27), Dayton (31), La Salle (91), St. Bonaventure (95).
- In total, Rhode Island's schedule features 10 top 100 RPI opponents over 12 total games in non-conference and A-10 play.
- KenPom.com rankings features 10 top 100 opponents: Duke (15), Cincinnati (20), Dayton (34), Houston (39), VCU (49), Providence (62), Belmont (68), Davidson (89), St. Bonaventure (93), and Valpo (94).
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- URI ranks second nationally in defensive block percentage, rejecting 16.5% of opposing shot attempts. Oregon ranks first (19.5%).
- Christion Thompson has blocked five shots in his last four games. When Thompson registers a blocked shot, URI is 7-1.
- Rhode Island and Dayton have split their previous regular season series (2007-08, 2013-14, and 2015-16).
- When the Rhody bench tallies 20 or more points collectively, the Rams are 8-2.
- After making 47 3FG through its first four A-10 games (2-2), Rhode Island has hit a combined 31 3FG over its last seven (6-1).
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - FEBRUARY 10
- Rhode Island is 13-13 overall and 3-4 in A-10 games in games played on February 10.
- URI and Dayton faced each other on February 10, 2001, with the Flyers earning a 73-64 victory in Kingston.
- Included in the annals of the February 10 victories was a 77-point win over New Hampshire (127-50) on February 10, 1942.
- February 10 marks the dual celebration of National Cream Cheese Brownie Day and National Umbrella Day.
- The first U.S. patent for fire extinguishers was issued on February 10, 1863; Arthur Miller's "Death of a Salesman" debuts on Broadway on February 10, 1949; Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are A-Changin'" was released on February 10, 1964.
- Notable February 10 birthdays: Kentucky head coach John Calipari, actress Elizabeth Banks, singer Roberta Flack, Olympic swimmer Mark Spitz, and golfer Greg Norman.
THE UMASS GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- The win was the first for Rhody at the Mullins Center since 2009 and gave the Rams their first season sweep of UMass since 2003.
- Jared Terrell led a balanced Rhode Island offense with 14 points- incuding a four-point play at the 18:11 mark of the second half.
- The Rams' defense forced 19 turnovers, registered 12 steals and blocked eight Massachusetts shots.
- Nicola Akele filled out the stat sheet - 12 points (5-7 FG), six rebounds, three assists and three steals in 18 minutes.
DOWTIN EARNS SECOND ATLANTIC 10 ROOKIE OF THE WEEK HONOR OF THE SEASON
- For the second time, Jeff Dowtin was named the Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week (Feb. 6). He also received the award on Jan. 2.
- Dowtin averaged 14.5 points and 4.0 assists while shooting 57.1% (12-21 FG; 3-5 3FG) from the floor in a 2-0 week.
- In the Feb. 3 win at Davidson, as Dowtin poured in 19 points (7-11 FG; 3-4 3FG) to go along with four assists in 36 minutes.
- The 6-3 guard added 10 points, four rebounds and a steal in 37 minutes in the Jan. 31 win over George Washington.
- This marks the 14th time during the Dan Hurley era that a Rhode Island player has earned A-10 Rookie of the Week honors.
MARTIN RANKS AMONG NCAA LEADERS IN BLOCKED SHOTS, FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE
- Hassan Martin ranks sixth in blocks per game (2.94 bpg) and 24th in field goal percentage (60.8%) nationally.
- On the NCAA active career statistics list, Martin ranks second in career blocks (301) and fifth in blocked shot average (2.75 bpg).
- His 58.1% career field goal percentage (454-782) is the 30th-best shooting proficiency mark among all active players.
- In the A-10 record book, Martin ranks eighth in blocks and needs 18 more to pass C.J. Aiken of Saint Joseph's (319) for seventh.
- Martin's blocked shot average of 2.75 per game would rank as the sixth-best average in A-10 history.
- He was named the 2015-16 A-10 Defensive Player of the Year after leading the A-10 in blocks for the third straight year (2.5 bpg).
- He needs 27 blocks to become URI's all-time career leader, passing Kenny Green (328 blocks, 1985-90).
IVERSON AVERAGING CLOSE TO DOUBLE-DOUBLE IN ATLANTIC 10 PLAY
- Kuran Iverson is averaging nearly a double-double in A-10 play, checking in at 10.9 points and 9.3 boards per game.
- In A-10 games, Iverson ranks third behind Mason's Marquise Moore (9.7) and VCU's Justin Tillman (9.5) in 11 conference contests.
- For the season (23 games), Iverson leads the Rams on the glass (7.5 rpg), is fourth in scoring (9.3 ppg), and third in assists (1.8 apg).
- Following the Jan. 28 game vs. St. Bona, Iverson said: "I don't really look for offense anymore. I just try to play defense and rebound."
- Dan Hurley said: "In terms of consistency of effort, energy level, intensity, he's been maybe our most consistent player," in A-10 play.
SUPER MARIO RUN
- The Super Mario Brothers - E.C. Matthews and Hassan Martin - have played together in 82 career games.
- Rhode Island is 49-33 in those games, including a 35-16 mark over their last 51 games on the floor together.
- Over the past two seasons, Matthews and Martin have appeared in the same game on just 19 occasions - 18 coming this season.
- On Jan. 21 at Duquesne, Matthews (19) and Martin (20) combined for 39 points - over 43% of the Rhody offense.
- When Matthews and Martin each score in double figures this season, URI is 8-0.
- Since 2013-14, the Rams are 21-9 when Matthews and Martin each tally 10 or more points in the same game.
LEAVE NO DOWTIN
- Freshman Jeff Dowtin has become one of the most valuable freshmen in the Atlantic 10.
- He has started the last seven games at PG, averaging 8.3 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 3.6 apg, 1.6 spg, 25:6 asst/TO (4.17:1), 32 min/g.
- Dowtin had his best game as a Ram on Feb. 3 at Davidson, scoring 19 points (7-11 FG; 3-4 3FG) and notching four assists.
- The 6-3 guard ranks sixth on the squad in scoring (5.7 ppg) and has scored in double figures on five occasions.
- The Upper Marlboro, Md. native is a two-time Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week (Jan. 2, Feb. 6).
- On Jan. 12, Dowtin scored 11 points, connecting on 3-of-6 from beyond the arc versus La Salle.
- Nicola Akele played one of his best games in a Rhode Island uniform at Massachusetts on Feb. 7.
- The versatile sophomore forward had 12 points (5-7 FG; 1-2 3FG), six rebounds, three assists and three turnovers in 18 minutes.
- His offensive rebound and putback bucket as time expired in the first half gave Rhody a six-point lead (33-27) at the break.
- The six rebounds, three assists and three steals were all career-highs for the sophomore from Treviso, Italy.