Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: at Massachusetts
TV: CBS Sports Network
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS MASSACHUSETTS
- Rhode Island and long-time rival Massachusetts meet for the 150th time today.
- The Minutemen are Rhode Island's second most-common opponent.
- Rhody is 61-88 all-time vs. UMass, which dates back to the 1907-08 season.
- URI took the first meeting of the season, 79-77, on Jan. 15 in Kingston.
- The home team won in each of the two games during the 2015-16 regular season.
- UMass then earned a 67-62 victory in the A-10 Tournament on March 10.
- Rhody is 21-52 against UMass in Amherst and 6-18 at the Mullins Center.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 269-322 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last year, the Rams were 9-9 and the #7 seed in the 2016 A-10 Championship.
- In 2014-15, Rhody posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
- Since 2014-15, Rhode Island is 29-17 (.630) in Atlantic 10 regular season games.
RHODE ISLAND'S SCHEDULE: ONE OF THE BEST IN THE NATION
- Through games of Feb. 4, Rhode Island's non-conference strength of schedule (SOS) is 14th nationally. URI's overall SOS is 40th.
- URI faced two RPI top 20 teams on Nov. 19-20 as part of the Hall of Fame Tipoff Tournament - Cincinnati (16), Duke (18).
- The Rams earned a 76-71 win over the Bearcats on Nov. 19 before falling to Duke, 75-65, on Nov. 20.
- Rhody faced seven total top 100 non-conference foes - Valpo (57), Providence (63), Houston (60), Belmont (70), W&M (93).
- The average RPI of the seven losses this season - 61. Total point differential in those games - 47 points (6.7 ppg avg. differential).
- Four A-10 opponents (six total games) are also top 100 RPI teams: Dayton (30), VCU (31), La Salle (89), St. Bonaventure (100).
- In total, Rhode Island's schedule features 11 top 100 RPI opponents over 13 total games in non-conference and A-10 play.
- KenPom.com rankings features 10 top 100 opponents: Duke (14), Cincinnati (21), Dayton (32), Houston (43), VCU (46), Providence (63), Belmont (66), Davidson (81), Valpo (95), and St. Bonaventure (96).
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Rhody erased a nine-point second half deficit at Davidson; the third time that URI has come back from nine points or more to win.
- Four of Kuran Iverson's five double-digit rebounding games this season have come during Atlantic 10 play.
- Hassan Martin is on track to break another of Kenny Green's records - the single-season FG% mark.
- Green connected on 61.2% of his shots in 1987-88. So far this season, Martin is shooting 61.4% from the floor.
- After making 47 3FG through its first four A-10 games (2-2), Rhode Island has hit a combined 28 3FG over its last six (5-1).
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - FEBRUARY 7
- Rhode Island is 14-10 overall and 4-5 in A-10 games in games played on February 7.
- URI and UMass have played seven times on the February 7 calendar date, with the Rams winning four of those matchups.
- February 7 marks the dual celebration of National Fettucine Alfredo Day and National Periodic Table Day.
- Walt Disney's second feature length movie "Pinocchio" debuted on February 7, 1940.
- Beatlemania began in earnest in the United States as the Fab Four arrived in New York City on February 7, 1962.
- Mel Brooks' "Blazing Saddles" opens in movie theatres on February 7, 1974.
- Notable February 7 birthdays: author Charles Dickens, philosopher/humanist St. Thomas More, agricultural inventor John Deere, comedian Chris Rock, Canadian All-Star point guard Steve Nash, Seattle All-Star point guard Isaiah Thomas, and actor James Spader.
THE DAVIDSON GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- URI used a 16-3 run midway through the second half to erase a nine-point deficit and take the lead for good with 7:00 to play.
- Jeff Dowtin scored 12 of his 19 in the first half and E.C. Matthews 11 of his 21 in the second half to pace the Rhody offense.
- The Rams' defense held Davidson to 59 points - close to 17 points below its season average.
- Kuran Iverson posted his seventh game with double-digit rebounds, corraling 13 rebounds (12 on the defensive end).
DOWTIN EARNS SECOND ATLANTIC 10 ROOKIE OF THE WEEK HONOR OF THE SEASON
- For the second time this season, Jeff Dowtin was named the Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week (Feb. 6). He received the award on Jan. 2.
- Dowtin averaged 14.5 points and 4.0 assists while shooting 57.1% (12-21 FG; 3-5 3FG) from the floor in a 2-0 week.
- In the Feb. 3 win at Davidson, as Dowtin poured in 19 points (7-11 FG; 3-4 3FG) to go along with four assists in 36 minutes.
- The 6-3 guard added 10 points, four rebounds and a steal in 37 minutes in the Jan. 31 win over George Washington.
- This marks the 14th time during the Dan Hurley era that a Rhode Island player has earned A-10 Rookie of the Week honors.
MARTIN RANKS AMONG NCAA LEADERS IN BLOCKED SHOTS, FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE
- Hassan Martin ranks fifth in blocks per game (2.94bpg) and 17th in field goal percentage (61.4%) nationally.
- On the NCAA active career statistics list, Martin ranks second in career blocks (298) and fourth in blocked shot average (2.75 bpg).
- His 58.1% career field goal percentage (450-774) is the 27th-best shooting proficiency mark among all active players.
- In the A-10 record book, Martin ranks ninth in blocks and needs two more to pass Duquesne's Damian Saunders (300) for eighth.
- Martin's blocked shot average of 2.75 per game would rank as the sixth-best average in A-10 history.
- He was named the 2015-16 A-10 Defensive Player of the Year after leading the A-10 in blocks for the third straight year (2.5 bpg).
- He needs 31 blocks to become URI's all-time career leader, passing Kenny Green (328 blocks, 1985-90).
IVERSON AVERAGING CLOSE TO DOUBLE-DOUBLE IN ATLANTIC 10 PLAY
- Kuran Iverson is averaging nearly a double-double in A-10 play, checking in at 11.7 points and 9.9 boards per game.
- In A-10 games, Iverson ranks second behind Mason's Marquise Moore, averaging 9.9 boards in 10 conference contests.
- For the season (22 games), Iverson leads the Rams on the glass (7.7 rpg), is fourth in scoring (9.6 ppg), and third in assists (1.8 apg).
- Following the Jan. 28 game vs. St. Bona, Iverson said: "I don't really look for offense anymore. I just try to play defense and rebound."
- Dan Hurley said: "In terms of consistency of effort, energy level, intensity, he's been maybe our most consistent player," in A-10 play.
SUPER MARIO RUN
- The Super Mario Brothers - E.C. Matthews and Hassan Martin - have played together in 81 career games.
- Rhode Island is 48-33 in those games, including a 34-16 mark over their last 50 games on the floor together.
- Over the past two seasons, Matthews and Martin have appeared in the same game on just 18 occasions - 17 coming this season.
- On Jan. 21 at Duquesne, Matthews (19) and Martin (20) combined for 39 points - over 43% of the Rhody offense.
- When Matthews and Martin each score in double figures this season, URI is 8-0.
- Since 2013-14, the Rams are 21-9 when Matthews and Martin each tally 10 or more points in the same game.
LEAVE NO DOWTIN
- Freshman Jeff Dowtin has become one of the most valuable freshmen in the Atlantic 10.
- He has started the last six games at PG, averaging 8.5 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 3.3 apg, 1.3 spg, 20:6 asst/TO (3.33:1), 32 min/g.
- Dowtin had his best game as a Ram last time out at Davidson, scoring 19 points (7-11 FG; 3-4 3FG) and notching four assists.
- He earned his first collegiate start on Jan. 15 vs. UMass, scoring 11 points and dishing out four assists in 32 minutes.
- He was a perfect 5-for-5 from the floor, scoring 12 points at Saint Louis en route to earning A-10 Rookie of the Week honors.
- On Jan. 12, Dowtin scored 11 points, connecting on 3-of-6 from beyond the arc versus La Salle.
NOW TRENDING: JARED TERRELL
- Since Jared Terrell's freshman year during the 2014-15 season - the Rams are 16-7 (.696) when he scores 15 or more points.
- The Rams are 39-16 (.709) when the Weymouth, Mass. native reaches double figures in the scoring column.
- Last season, Terrell led URI in scoring at 13.5 points per game - becoming the second straight sophomore to lead the squad in scoring.
- Rhode Island is 15-16 when Terrell scores less than 10 points.
RHODY RECORD BOOK RESET - CAREER
23. E.C. Matthews 1,335 points ; needs 11 more points to pass Stan Wright (1974-78, 1,346 points)
46. Hassan Martin 1,128 points; needs 10 more points to pass Tavorris Bell (1998-2001, 1,147 points)
54 Jared Terrell 1,016 points; needs 13 more points to pass Dustin Hellenga (2001-04, 1,040 points).
NR Hassan Martin 694 rebounds; needs 25 more rebounds to crack URI's career top 10 list
10. Jarvis Garrett 304 assists; needs 18 to pass Preston Murphy (322, 1995-99)
1. Hassan Martin 58.1%; is currently Rhody's career FG% leader
2. Hassan Martin 298 blocks; needs 30 more blocks to become URI's all-time blocks leader
t5. E.C. Matthews 160 3-pointers made; needs 12 more made 3FG to pass Dustin Hellenga (172, 2001-04)