Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: at Davidson
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
WATCH PARTY AT GEORGE'S OF GALILEE
Head to George's of Galilee tomorrow night for the third annual @RhodyMBB Away Game Viewing Party, presented by Miller Lite.
The party starts at 6 p.m. at George's, located at 250 Sand Hill Cove Rd, Narragansett, RI 02882, and there will be food & drink specials and loads of giveaways throughout the evening.
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS DAVIDSON
- Rhody and Davidson meet on the hardwood for the sixth time overall.
- Davidson leads all-time series, 3-2, including a 2-0 mark in A-10 play.
- Last year, Rhody dropped a 65-54 decision at Belk Arena on Feb. 23, 2016.
- Rhode Island won both games of a home/home series in 2009-10 and 2010-11.
- Davidson earned a 95-65 win on March 7, 1966 in NCAA Tournament play.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 268-322 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last year, the Rams were 9-9 and the #7 seed in the 2016 A-10 Championship.
- In 2014-15, Rhody posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
- Since 2014-15, Rhode Island is 28-17 (.622) in Atlantic 10 regular season games.
RHODE ISLAND'S SCHEDULE: ONE OF THE BEST IN THE NATION
- Through games of Jan. 31, Rhode Island's non-conference strength of schedule (SOS) is 21st nationally. URI's overall SOS is 44.
- URI faced two RPI top 20 teams on Nov. 19-20 as part of the Hall of Fame Tipoff Tournament - Cincinnati (16), Duke (17).
- The Rams earned a 76-71 win over the Bearcats on Nov. 19 before falling to Duke, 75-65, on Nov. 20.
- Rhody faced seven total top 100 non-conference foes - Valpo (58), Providence (60), Houston (68), Belmont (79), W&M (99).
- The average RPI of the seven losses this season - 64. Total point differential in those games - 47 points (6.7 ppg avg. differential).
- Four A-10 opponents (seven total games) are also top 100 RPI teams: Dayton (28), VCU (32), La Salle (89), Davidson (100).
- In total, Rhode Island's schedule features 11 top 100 RPI opponents over 13 total games in non-conference and A-10 play.
- KenPom.com rankings features 10 top 100 opponents: Duke (13), Cincinnati (16), Dayton (37), VCU (45), Houston (47), Providence (62), Davidson (68), Belmont (77), Valpo (91), and St. Bonaventure (98).
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - FEBRUARY 3
- Rhode Island is 7-11 overall and 4-4 in A-10 games in games played on February 3.
- February 3 marks the celebration of National Carrot Cake Day.
- February 3,1959 is also "The Day The Music Died," as a plane carrying Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the Big Bopper crashed in Iowa.
- On February 3, 1887, to avoid disputed national elections, the United States Congress creates the Electoral Count Act
- Adam Vinatieri boots a 48-yard FG as time expired in Super Bowl XXXVI, as the New England Patriots begin their 15-year NFL dynasty on Feb. 3, 2002.
- Notable February 3 birthdays: actress Isla Fisher, painter Norman Rockwell, and bank robber Charles "Pretty Boy" Floyd.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Hassan Martin has scored 20 or more in three of the last four games. URI is 4-0 this year and 6-1 all-time when he scores 20 or more.
- Rhody is one of three A-10 teams to rank among the top 60 nationally in assist/turnover ratio. URI has a 1.24:1 ATR this season.
- Richmond (34, 1.34:1) and tonight's opponent Davidson (44, 1:28:1) rank ahead of the Rams.
- The Rams' 16.4% defensive block percentage ranks fourth nationally, according to KenPom.com.
- After making 47 3FG through its first four A-10 games, Rhode Island has hit a combined 20 3FG over its last five.
THE GEORGE WASHINGTON GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- Rhode Island put forth its fifth-best shooting performance of the season, making 54.7% of its field goal attempts (29-53).
- The Rams committed nine turnovers - three in the second half. It was the eighth game in which URI committed less than 10 TO.
- Hassan Martin led all scorers with 23 points. He has scored at least 20 points in three of the last four games.
- URI connected on a season-high 90.0% from the free throw line, making 18 of 20 attempts. Jared Terrell made 9-of-9.
MARTIN RANKS AMONG NCAA LEADERS IN BLOCKED SHOTS, FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE
- Hassan Martin ranks fifth in blocks per game (3.13 bpg) and eighth in field goal percentage (63.5%) nationally.
- On the NCAA active career statistics list, Martin ranks second in career blocks (298) and third in blocked shot average (2.78 bpg).
- His 58.5% career field goal percentage (447-764) is the 24th-best shooting proficiency mark among all active players.
- In the A-10 record book, Martin ranks ninth in blocks and needs two more to pass Duquesne's Damian Saunders (300) for eighth.
- Martin's blocked shot average of 2.78 per game would rank as the sixth-best average in A-10 history.
- He was named the 2015-16 A-10 Defensive Player of the Year after leading the A-10 in blocks for the third straight year (2.5 bpg).
- He needs 31 blocks to become URI's all-time career leader, passing Kenny Green (328 blocks, 1985-90).
A GRAND PLAN: TERRELL, MARTIN, MATTHEWS JOIN RHODE ISLAND'S 1,000 POINT CLUB
- On Jan. 31 vs. George Washington, Jared Terrell became the third Ram this year - and 54th overall - to score his 1,000th career point.
- Hassan Martin became the 53rd player in Rhode Island history to reach the 1,000 point mark at Valpo on Nov. 29.
- In the season opener on Nov. 11, E.C. Matthews scored his 1,000th career point career at home vs. Dartmouth on Nov. 11.
- Rhode Island has never had more than two players reach the 1,000-point mark in the same season.
- Prior to Matthews, the last Rhody player to reach the 1,000 point mark was Xavier Munford in 2014.
IVERSON AVERAGING CLOSE TO DOUBLE-DOUBLE IN ATLANTIC 10 PLAY
- Kuran Iverson is averaging nearly a double-double in A-10 play, checking in at 12.6 points and 9.6 boards per game.
- For the season (21 games), Iverson leads the Rams on the glass (7.5 rpg), is fourth in scoring (9.9 ppg), and third in assists (1.9 apg).
- Following the Jan. 28 game vs. St. Bona, Iverson said: "I don't really look for offense anymore. I just try to play defense and rebound."
- Dan Hurley said: "In terms of consistency of effort, energy level, intensity, he's been maybe our most consistent player," in A-10 play.
SUPER MARIO RUN
- The Super Mario Brothers - E.C. Matthews and Hassan Martin - have played together in 80 career games.
- Rhode Island is 47-33 in those games, including a 33-16 mark over their last 49 games on the floor together.
- Over the past two seasons, Matthews and Martin have appeared in the same game on just 17 occasions - 16 coming this season.
- On Jan. 21 at Duquesne, Matthews (19) and Martin (20) combined for 39 points - over 43% of the Rhody offense.
- When Matthews and Martin each score in double figures this season, URI is 8-0.
- Since 2013-14, the Rams are 21-9 when Matthews and Martin each tally 10 or more points in the same game.
RHODY RECORD BOOK RESET - CAREER
25. E.C. Matthews 1,314 points ; needs 19 more points to pass Jimmy Wright (1977-81, 1,333 points)
46. Hassan Martin 1,128 points; needs 19 more points to pass Tavorris Bell (1998-2001, 1,147 points)
54 Jared Terrell 1,016 points; needs 24 more points to pass Dustin Hellenga (2001-04, 1,040 points).
NR Hassan Martin 687 rebounds; needs 32 more rebounds to crack URI's career top 10 list
10. Jarvis Garrett 304 assists; needs 18 to pass Preston Murphy (322, 1995-99)
1. Hassan Martin 58.5%; is currently Rhody's career FG% leader
2. Hassan Martin 298 blocks; needs 30 more blocks to become URI's all-time blocks leader
t5. E.C. Matthews 156 3-pointers made; needs 16 more made 3FG to pass Dustin Hellenga (172, 2001-04)
LEAVE NO DOWTIN
- Freshman Jeff Dowtin has become one of the most valuable freshmen in the Atlantic 10.
- He has started the last four games at PG, averaging 5.5 ppg, 22.2% FG, 20.0% 3FG, 3.0 asst/g, 3.0:1 assist/turnover (12/4), 30 min/g.
- In the five games prior as a reserve, Dowtin averaged: 8.0 ppg, 61.5% FG, 66.7% 3FG, 1.0 asst/g, 2.5:1 assist/turnover (5/2), 17 min/g
- He earned his first collegiate start on Jan. 15 vs. UMass, scoring 11 points and dishing out four assists in 32 minutes.
- Dowtin notched a career-best four steals and five rebounds at Richmond on Jan. 25.
- He was a perfect 5-for-5 from the floor, scoring 12 points at Saint Louis en route to earning A-10 Rookie of the Week honors.
- On Jan. 12, Dowtin scored 11 points, connecting on 3-of-6 from beyond the arc versus La Salle.