How It Happened
Jared Terrell became the latest member of URI's 1,000-point club with 17 points Tuesday night, helping the Rams win 82-70 over George Washington.
Rhode Island (14-7, 6-3 A-10) went on a 7-2 run with 9:59 to play in the first half to establish a 23-15 lead. However, a 14-6 run by the Colonials kept GW in the game, tying the score at 29 with 4:29 to play in the half. George Washington (12-10, 4-5 A-10) led 39-35 going into the break.
The Rams gained momentum in the second half of play, after a team technical foul issued to George Washington sent Terrell to the free throw line. Terrell sank both shots, cutting the Colonial lead to 60-57 with 8:35 to play. An E.C. Matthews three ball put Rhody ahead for the first time in the second half, 65-64. From there, a 14-8 run gave the Rams control. A step-back 3-pointer by Matthews with six seconds left of play capped the game.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Hassan Martin had 23 points for the Rams, his seventh career 20-point game and his fourth this season. He also contributed six rebounds, two steals, one block, and one assist. He went 10-for-14 from the floor in 36 minutes of play.
- Junior Jared Terrell contributed 17 points, five rebounds and four assists. His first point of the game came from the free throw line and was the 1,000th of his career. He is the third Ram to reach 1,000 this season, joining Martin and E.C. Matthews.
- Senior Kuran Iverson had 12 points, grabbed five boards and blocked four shots in 18 minutes of action.
- Freshman Jeff Dowtin had 10 points, four assists, and one steal in 37 minutes.
- Junior E.C. Matthews had eight points and one block.
- The Rams outrebounded the Colonials 29-23.
- George Washington outscored Rhode Island in bench points, 25-12.
Stat of the Game
90.0% - Rhode Island connected on a season best 90% at the free throw line. The Rams went 18-for-20 from the line.
Rhode Island travels to Davidson on Friday, Feb. 3. The game will air live nationally on ESPN2, beginning at 7 p.m. The game can be heard live locally on the Rhody Sports Network on B101 (101.5 FM) and through the iHeartMedia app.