Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: vs. George Washington
TV: CBS Sports Network
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
- Weeknight Value Pack – two tickets and two popcorns for $25
- Two-for One-Tuesday – buy ticket, get one free offer for faculty/staff and alumni
- Three-point foam fingers giveaway for students
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS GEORGE WASHINGTON
- Rhody and George Washington play their lone regular season matchup tonight.
- George Washington holds a 31-26 lead in the all-time series.
- Last season, the Colonials won, 62-58, in snowy Washington, D.C. on Jan. 22, 2016.
- Rhody is 13-11 all-time vs. George Washington in Kingston.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 267-322 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last year, the Rams were 9-9 and the #7 seed in the 2016 A-10 Championship.
- In 2014-15, Rhody posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
- Since 2014-15, Rhode Island is 27-17 (.614) in Atlantic 10 regular season games.
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 155-76 all-time record in the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- Rhody is 68-50 in Atlantic 10 play at the Ryan Center, including back-to-back 7-2 marks in home league games in 2014-15 and 2015-16.
- The Rams have won 10 or more home games in a single season on 12 occasions.
- URI has won 19 of its last 21 and 28 of its last 32 home non-conference games.
- The Rams are 88-26 overall in non-conference play (79-25 in the regular season).
- Rhode Island's inaugural victory in the building was a 73-71 OT affair vs. USC (Nov. 26, 2002).
- Rhody's home game on Dec. 6, 2016 - a 51-39 victory over ODU - marked the 150th all-time win at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
RHODE ISLAND'S SCHEDULE: ONE OF THE BEST IN THE NATION
- Through games of Jan. 29, Rhode Island's non-conference strength of schedule (SOS) is 24th nationally. URI's overall SOS is 44.
- URI faced two RPI top 20 teams on Nov. 19-20 as part of the Hall of Fame Tipoff Tournament - Cincinnati (16), Duke (20).
- The Rams earned a 76-71 win over the Bearcats on Nov. 19 before falling to Duke, 75-65, on Nov. 20.
- Rhody faced six total top 75 non-conference foes - Valpo (61), Providence (63), Houston (73), and Belmont (74).
- The average RPI of the seven losses this season - 64. Total point differential in those games - 47 points (6.7 ppg avg. differential).
- Three A-10 opponents (five total games) are also top 100 RPI teams: Dayton (31), VCU (32), La Salle (91).
- In total, Rhode Island's schedule features nine top 100 RPI opponents over 11 total games in non-conference and A-10 play.
- KenPom.com rankings features 10 top 100 opponents: Duke (15), Cincinnati (16), Dayton (36), VCU (45), Houston (47), Providence (64), Belmont (76), Davidson (80), Valpo (90), and St. Bonaventure (97).
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - JANUARY 31
- Rhode Island is 9-13 overall and 3-4 in A-10 games in games played on January 31.
- The Rams are 1-1 against George Washington on the date, winning 59-55 on January 31, 2015 and losing 93-84 on January 31, 1984.
- January 31 marks the dual celebration of National Backward Day and National Hot Chocolate Day.
- Juneautown and Kilbourntown unified to become the city of Milwaukee on January 31, 1846.
- The 13th Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified on January 31, 1865, abolishing slavery.
- "Family Guy" made its television debut on the Fox Network on January 31, 1999.
- Notable January 31 birthdays: Baseball Hall of Famers Jackie Robinson and Nolan Ryan, composer Franz Schubert, recording artists Justin Timberlake and Marcus Mumford, and actress Kerry Washington.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Rhode Island and La Salle are the only teams in the A-10 with three players ranked among the top 22 on the scoring list.
- When Hassan Martin leads the team in scoring this season, the Rams are 3-1. For his career, URI is 10-7 when Martin is the top scorer.
- URI registered an assist rate of 72% against St. Bonaventure(18 asst/25 FG). The season-high was 86% at Dayton (19 asst/22 FG).
- After making 47 3FG through its first four A-10 games, Rhode Island has hit a combined 14 3FG over its last four.
THE ST. BONAVENTURE GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- Rhode Island held St. Bonaventure to 59 points on 29.5% shooting - well below SBU's season average (80.8 ppg / 46.2%).
- URI tied its single-game record with 15 blocks, led by six from Kuran Iverson. Rhody also had 15 blocks vs. La Salle on Jan. 22, 2015.
- Hassan Martin (20 points/8 rebounds/4 blocks) and Kuran Iverson (12 points/9 rebounds/3 assists/6 blocks) were stat-sheet fillers.
- Rhody dished out 18 assists on its 25 field goals, led by six assists from Stanford Robinson.
MARTIN RANKS AMONG NCAA LEADERS IN BLOCKS, FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE
- Hassan Martin ranks third in blocks per game (3.27 bpg) and 10th in field goal percentage (62.7%) nationally.
- On the NCAA active career statistics list, Martin ranks second in career blocks (297) and third in blocked shot average (2.79 bpg).
- His 58.3% career field goal percentage (437-750) is the 24th-best shooting proficiency mark among all active players.
- In the A-10 record book, Martin ranks ninth in blocks and needs three more to pass Duquesne's Damian Saunders (300) for eighth.
- Martin's blocked shot average of 2.79 per game would rank as the sixth-best average in A-10 history.
- He was named the 2015-16 A-10 Defensive Player of the Year after leading the A-10 in blocks for the third straight year (2.5 bpg).
- He needs 31 blocks to become URI's all-time career leader, passing Kenny Green (328 blocks, 1985-90).
A GRAND PLAN: MARTIN, MATTHEWS JOIN RHODE ISLAND'S 1,000 POINT CLUB; TERRELL UP NEXT
- Hassan Martin became the 53rd player in Rhode Island history to reach the 1,000 point mark at Valpo on Nov. 29.
- In the season opener on Nov. 11, E.C. Matthews scored his 1,000th career point career at home vs. Dartmouth on Nov. 11.
- Jared Terrell (999) has the 1,000 point mark on his radar tonight, needing one more point to reach the milestone.
- Prior to Matthews, the last Rhody player to reach the 1,000 point mark was Xavier Munford in 2014.
- Rhode Island has never had more than two players reach the 1,000-point mark in the same season.
IVERSON AVERAGING DOUBLE-DOUBLE IN ATLANTIC 10 PLAY
- Kuran Iverson is one of two players to average a double-double in A-10 play, checking in at 12.6 points and 10.1 boards per game.
- For the season (20 games), Iverson leads the Rams on the glass (7.6 rpg), is fourth in scoring (9.8 ppg), and third in assists (1.9 apg).
- Following the Jan. 28 game vs. St. Bona, Iverson said: "I don't really look for offense anymore. I just try to play defense and rebound."
- Dan Hurley said: "In terms of consistency of effort, energy level, intensity, he's been maybe our most consistent player," in A-10 play.