Rhody Game Day Central
GAME TIME IS 2 PM - PRINTED SEASON TICKETS READ 4 PM
Gamenotes: vs. St. Bonaventure
TV: NBC Sports Network
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
Suits and Sneakers - Buy your special "Suits and Sneakers" t-shirt for just $10 - all proceeds benefit the American Cancer Society
Family Four Pack - Four tickets, sodas, popcorns for $60
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS ST. BONAVENTURE
- Today's game is the lone regular season matchup against St. Bonaventure.
- Rhody holds a 36-28 edge all-time in the all-time series, dating back to 1960-61.
- Last year, the Rams dropped a 69-64 victory at the Reilly Center on Jan. 13, 2016.
- The Rams are 21-9 all-time vs. the Bonnies in Kingston.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 266-322 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last year, the Rams were 9-9 and the #7 seed in the 2016 A-10 Championship.
- In 2014-15, Rhody posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
- Since 2014-15, Rhode Island is 26-17 (.605) in Atlantic 10 regular season games.
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 154-76 all-time record in the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- Rhody is 67-50 in Atlantic 10 play at the Ryan Center, including back-to-back 7-2 marks in home league games in 2014-15 and 2015-16.
- URI has won 19 of its last 21 and 28 of its last 32 home non-conference games.
- The Rams are 88-26 in overall non-conference games, including a 79-25 record in the regular season.
- Last season marked the 11th time in venue history that the Rams won 10 or more home games in a single season.
- Rhode Island's inaugural victory in the building was a 73-71 OT affair vs. USC (Nov. 26, 2002).
- Rhody's home game on Dec. 6, 2016 - a 51-39 victory over ODU - marked the 150th all-time win at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - JANUARY 28
- Rhode Island is 8-8 overall and 5-6 in A-10 games in games played on January 28.
- January 25 marks the dual celebration of National Blueberry Pancake and National Have Fun at Work Days.
- Work began on constructing the Eiffel Tower in Paris on Jan. 28, 1855.
- The inaugural Millrose Games indoor track meet was first held on Jan. 28, 1914 at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
- Elvis Presley made his first national television appearance on the Dorsey Bros. Variety Show on Jan. 28, 1956.
- The Lego Company received a patent for its tiny toy blocks on Jan. 28, 1958.
- Notable January 28 birthdays: rappers Rick Ross and Rakim, singer/animal rights activist Sarah McLachlan, San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich, artist Jackson Pollack, and Robert Stroud - the Birdman of Alcatraz.
RHODE ISLAND'S SCHEDULE: ONE OF THE BEST IN THE NATION
- Through games of Jan. 26, Rhode Island's non-conference strength of schedule (SOS) is 28th nationally. URI's overall SOS is 42.
- URI faced two RPI top 25 teams on Nov. 19-20 as part of the Hall of Fame Tipoff Tournament - Cincinnati (13), Duke (24).
- The Rams earned a 76-71 win over the Bearcats on Nov. 19 before falling to Duke, 75-65, on Nov. 20.
- Rhody faced six total top 100 non-conference foes - Valpo (63), Providence (74), Houston (78), and Belmont (85).
- The average RPI of the six losses this season - 47.5. Total point differential in those six games - 36 points.
- Four A-10 opponents (six total games) are also top 100 RPI teams: Dayton (32), VCU (39), La Salle (86), and St. Bonaventure (95).
- In total, Rhode Island's schedule features 10 top 100 RPI opponents over 12 total games in non-conference and A-10 play.
- KenPom.com rankings features 10 top 100 opponents: Duke (16), Cincinnati (17), Dayton (35), VCU (47), Houston (50), Providence (67), Valpo (83), St. Bonaventure (87), Davidson (88), and Belmont (91).
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Since 2014-15, Rhode Island has trailed by 15 points or more in a game on 15 occasions. They are 2-13 in those games.
- The two wins were at Brown last season and at home against UMass on Jan. 15.
- As a starter (three games), Jeff Dowtin is averaging 6.7 points, 3.0 boards, 3.0 assists, and 2.0 steals with a 9:1 assist/turnover ratio.
- After making 47 3FG through its first four A-10 games, URI has hit a combined nine 3FG over its last three.
THE RICHMOND GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- Rhode Island scored a season-low 18 first-half points against the Spiders.
- URI's 21 offensive rebounds was a season-high and the most in a game for URI since grabbed 22 vs. Loyola (Md.) on Nov. 23, 2012.
- Rhody tied a season-high with 13 steals, led by four from Jeff Dowtin and three from Christion Thompson.
- The Rams scored 40 of its 62 points in the paint - the sixth game with 40 or more points in the paint this season.
- Kuran Iverson grabbed a career-best 23 rebounds at Richmond on Jan. 25. Eleven of the 23 boards game on the offensive glass.
- Iverson's 23 rebounds vs. Richmond ranks as the fifth-highest single-game total in college basketball this season.
- It marked the first 20-rebound game by a Rhody player since Mergin Sina had 20 boards vs. U.S. International on Jan. 10, 1989.
- The 23 boards were the most by a Rhode Island player since Gary Koenig had 24 against New Hampshire on Feb. 19, 1960.
SUPER MARIO RUN
- The Super Mario Brothers - E.C. Matthews and Hassan Martin - have played together in 78 career games.
- Rhode Island is 45-33 in those games, including a 31-16 mark over their last 47 games on the floor together.
- Over the past two seasons, Matthews and Martin have appeared in the same game on just 15 occasions - 14 coming this season.
- On Jan. 21 at Duquesne, Matthews (19) and Martin (20) combined for 39 points - over 43% of the Rhody offense.
- When Matthews and Martin each score in double figures this season, URI is 7-0.
- Since 2013-14, the Rams are 20-9 when Matthews and Martin each tally 10 or more points in the same game.
LEAVE NO DOWTIN
- Freshman Jeff Dowtin has become one of the most valuable freshmen in the Atlantic 10.
- Over the past seven games, the 6-3 guard is averaging 7.5 points in 22.1 minutes of play, connecting on 47.6% from 3FG (10-21).
- He earned his first collegiate start on Jan. 15 vs. UMass, scoring 11 points and dishing out four assists in 32 minutes.
- At Duquesne, Dowtin played 32 minutes and adding five points, two rebounds, and three assists (zero turnovers).
- Dowtin notched a career-best four steals and five rebounds last time out at Richmond.
- He was a perfect 5-for-5 from the floor, scoring 12 points at Saint Louis en route to earning A-10 Rookie of the Week honors.
- On Jan. 12, Dowtin scored 11 points, connecting on 3-of-6 from beyond the arc versus La Salle.
- Over the past eight games, the Rhody bench is averaging 21.3 points and 14.0 rebounds, while shooting 47.1% from the floor.
- Rhody reserves are also averaging 4.4 assists, 2.9 steals, 1.3 blocks and posting a 1.35:1 assist/turnover ratio.
- Stanford Robinson is averaging 8.0 points, 3.0 rebounds, 2.0 assists, and has a 1.75:1 assist/turnover ratio in 20 minutes per game.
- Cyril Langevine is chipping in with 4.3 rebounds in 14 minutes of reserve play over the last six games.
- Since returning from injury, Christion Thompson is averaging 4.3 points with six assists and three steals in four games.
- Nicola Akele has six assists, five blocked shots and five steals over his last eight games.
- The Rhode Island bench has scored 20 or more points in eight games - including a season-best 33 points against Marist.