Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: at Richmond
TV: CBS Sports Network
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS RICHMOND
- Rhode Island and Richmond face off in their lone regular season matchup.
- The Spiders lead the all-time series, 13-9, which dates back to the 1959-60 season.
- Last year, Rhode Island earned a 77-65 decision at the Ryan Center on Jan 5, 2016.
- URI has won the last three meetings. Prior to that, UR had won three straight.
- The Rams are 2-8 all-time vs. the Spiders at the Robins Center.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 266-321 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last year, the Rams were 9-9 and the #7 seed in the 2016 A-10 Championship.
- In 2014-15, Rhody posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
- Since 2014-15, Rhode Island is 26-16 (.620) in Atlantic 10 regular season games.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Hassan Martin's 20 points at Duquesne marked the only time this season that a player had at least 20 points in 10 minutes or less.
- Rhody ranks 12th nationally in turnovers per game (10.6 TO/g). It's URI's best TO/g mark since the 2009-10 season (10.9, 17th).
- In A-10 games, the Rams rank first in scoring (81.0 ppg) 3FG shooting (42.5%), and assist/turnover ratio (1.67:1).
- In the six games in which Jared Terrell scored less than 10 points, he averaged 5.5 field goal attempts and 4.0 free throw attempts.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - JANUARY 25
- Rhode Island is 16-5 overall and 8-3 in A-10 games in games played on January 25.
- Included in the 16 victories was a 1978 win over Richmond at Keaney Gym (87-48).
- January 25 marks the celebration of National Irish Coffee and National Opposite Days.
- The first nuclear-powered submarine - USS Nautilus - launched on January 21, 1954.
- On Jan. 25, 1840: Charles Wilkes became the first to identify Antarctica as a continent.
- The first Winter Olympiad began on Jan. 25, 1924 in Chamonix, France.
- In 1881, Thomas Edison and Alexander Graham Bell form the Oriental Telephone Co.
- Thirty-four years later in 1915, a N.Y.-based Bell made the first trans-continental phone call to Thomas Watson in San Francisco.
- Notable January 25 birthdays: poet Robert Burns, singer Alicia Keys, author Virginia Woolf, and U.S. Olympic distance runner Steve Prefontaine.
RHODE ISLAND'S SCHEDULE: ONE OF THE BEST IN THE NATION
- Through games of Jan. 23, Rhode Island's non-conference strength of schedule (SOS) is 28th nationally. URI's overall SOS is 42.
- URI faced two RPI top 25 teams on Nov. 19-20 as part of the Hall of Fame Tipoff Tournament - Cincinnati (16), Duke (24).
- The Rams earned a 76-71 win over the Bearcats on Nov. 19 before falling to Duke, 75-65, on Nov. 20.
- Rhody faced six total top 100 non-conference foes - Providence (53), Houston (68), Valpo (63), and Belmont (90).
- The average RPI of the six losses this season - 47.5. Total point differential in those six games - 36 points.
- Four A-10 opponents (six total games) are also top 100 RPI teams: Dayton (28), VCU (42), La Salle (66), and St. Bonaventure (100).
- In total, Rhode Island's schedule features 10 top 100 RPI opponents over 12 total games in non-conference and A-10 play.
- KenPom.com rankings features 10 top 100 opponents: Duke (17), Cincinnati (20), Dayton (39), Houston (48), VCU (51), Providence (61), Valpo (85), St. Bonaventure (88), Davidson (92), and Belmont (100).
THE DUQUESNE GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- Rhode Island did not commit a turnover until the 14:56 mark of the second half and finished with a season-low four TO's.
- Hassan Martin, E.C. Matthews, and Kuran Iverson combined to score 56 points on 33 field goal attempts.
- For the second consecutive game, URI attempted a season-high 38 free throws, making 25 of its attempts.
- Rhode Island's 19 offensive rebounds and 21 second-chance points were both season-bests.
SUPER MARIO RUN
- The Super Mario Brothers - E.C. Matthews and Hassan Martin - have played together in 77 career games.
- Rhode Island is 45-32 in those games, including a 31-15 mark over their last 46 games on the floor together.
- Over the past two seasons, Matthews and Martin have appeared in the same game on just 14 occasions - 13 coming this season.
- Last time out at Duquesne, Matthews (19) and Martin (20) combined for 39 points - over 43% of the Rhody offense.
- When Matthews and Martin each score in double figures this season, URI is 7-0.
- Since 2013-14, the Rams are 20-9 when Matthews and Martin each tally 10 or more points in the same game.
LEAVE NO DOWTIN
- Freshman Jeff Dowtin has become one of the most valuable freshmen in the Atlantic 10.
- Over the past seven games, the 6-3 guard is averaging 8.0 points in 21.3 minutes of play, connecting on 55.6% from 3FG (10-18).
- He earned his first collegiate start on Jan. 15 vs. UMass, scoring 11 points and dishing out four assists in 32 minutes.
- Last time out at Duquesne, Dowtin played 32 minutes and adding five points, two rebounds, and three assists (zero turnovers).
- He was a perfect 5-for-5 from the floor, scoring 12 points at Saint Louis en route to earning A-10 Rookie of the Week honors.
- On Jan. 12, Dowtin scored 11 points, connecting on 3-of-6 from beyond the arc versus La Salle.
- Through 18 games, Rhode Island ranks third in the A-10 in scoring defense overall (66.4) - which ranks 60th nationally.
- Rhody ranks 88th nationally (4th, A-10) in KenPom's defensive efficiency (points allowed per 100 possessions) at 100.3.
- URI is one of 13 teams nationally to lead its respective conference in scoring defense in each of the last two seasons.
- Additionally, URI is one of 15 teams to rank among the top 30 nationally in scoring defense in each of the last two years.
- The Rams held their opponents to an A-10 best 64.8 points per game in 2015-16 and 60.2 points per outing in 2014-15.
- Over the past seven games, the Rhody bench is averaging 22.1 points and 14.0 rebounds, while shooting 50.4% from the floor.
- Rhody reserves are also averaging 4.6 assists, 2.7 steals, 1.3 blocks and posting a 1.50:1 assist/turnover ratio.
- Stanford Robinson is averaging 8.3 points, 3.0 rebounds, 2.3 assists, and has a 4.00:1 assist/turnover ratio in 22 minutes per game.
- Christion Thompson has chipped in with six points in each of the last two games - vs. UMass and at Duquesne.
- Nicola Akele is averaging 17.4 minutes off the bench, recording 3.6 points and 3.4 rebounds while connecting on 57.9% FG.
- Cyril Langevine is chipping in with 4.3 rebounds in 12 minutes of reserve play over the last four games.
MARTIN RANKS AMONG NCAA LEADERS IN BLOCKED SHOTS, FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE
- Hassan Martin ranks second among active Division I players in career blocks (293) and third in blocked shot average (2.81 bpg).
- His 58.4% career field goal percentage (417-717) is the 20th-best shooting proficiency mark among all active players.
- Because of missed time due to injury, he falls under the NCAA minimum of 75% of games played for 2016-17 individual statistics.
- Through 13 games this season, Martin has 45 blocks - a per-game average of 3.46 which would rank #2 nationally.
- He needs 35 blocks to become URI's all-time career leader, passing Kenny Green (328 blocks, 1985-90).
- Martin ranks 10th all-time in A-10 history in blocks and needs one more to move past Fordham's Bryant Dunston (294) for ninth.
- In 2015-16, the 6-7 forward led the Atlantic 10 in blocks for the third consecutive year, averaging 2.5 swats per game.
- Martin finished the 2015-16 campaign ranked 18th in blocks per game and 41st in total blocks (65) nationally.
- Additionally, he needs six more blocks to pass St. Bonaventure's Caswell Cyrus (289) to crack the A-10's top 10 blocked shots list.
RHODY RECORD BOOK RESET - CAREER
29. E.C. Matthews 1,277 points ; needs 10 more points to pass Keith Cothran (2006-10, 1,287 points)
t48. Hassan Martin 1,077 points; needs five more points to pass Lamonte Ulmer (2006-10, 1,082 points)
NR Jared Terrell 976 points; needs 24 more points to become the 54th member of the URI 1,000 point club.
NR Hassan Martin 667 rebounds; needs 50 more rebounds to crack URI's career top 10 list
10. Jarvis Garrett 304 assists; needs 18 to pass Preston Murphy (322, 1995-99)
1. Hassan Martin 58.4%; is currently Rhody's career FG% leader
2. Hassan Martin 293 blocks; needs 35 more blocks to become URI's all-time blocks leader
t7. E.C. Matthews 151 3-pointers made; needs five more made 3FG to pass Abdul Fox (149, 1990-94)
A GRAND PLAN: MARTIN, MATTHEWS JOIN RHODE ISLAND'S 1,000 POINT CLUB; TERRELL UP NEXT
- Hassan Martin became the 53rd player in Rhode Island history to reach the 1,000 point mark at Valpo on Nov. 29.
- In the season opener on Nov. 11, E.C. Matthews scored his 1,000th career point career at home vs. Dartmouth on Nov. 11.
- Jared Terrell (976) also has the 1,000 point mark on his radar this season, needing 24 more points to reach the milestone.
- Prior to Matthews, the last Rhody player to reach the 1,000 point mark was Xavier Munford in 2014.
- Rhode Island has never had more than two players reach the 1,000-point mark in the same season.