Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: vs. La Salle
TV: CBS Sports Network
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
$10 Tickets - Sit in the Student Section for just $10 per ticket!
Weeknight Value Pack - For just $25, get two tickets and two popcorns
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS LA SALLE
- Rhode Island and La Salle play the first of their two regular season matchups.
- URI holds a 25-8 lead in the all-time series, which dates back to 1976-77.
- Rhody swept the regular season series last year - 73-62 over the Explorers in Kingston on Jan. 16 and a 79-62 victory at Tom Gola Arena on Feb. 6.
- The Rams are 11-3 all-time in games played against La Salle at home.
- La Salle assistant coach Horace "Pappy" Owens is a 1983 graduate of URI. He scored 1,750 career points and was inducted into the Athletics Hall of Fame in 1996.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 264-320 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last year, the Rams were 9-9 and the #7 seed in the 2016 A-10 Championship.
- In 2014-15, Rhody posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 153-75 all-time record in the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- Rhody is 66-49 in Atlantic 10 play at the Ryan Center, including back-to-back 7-2 marks in home league games in 2014-15 and 2015-16.
- URI has won 19 of its last 21 and 28 of its last 32 home non-conference games.
- The Rams are 88-26 in overall non-conference games, including a 79-25 record in the regular season.
- Last season marked the 11th time in venue history that the Rams won 10 or more home games in a single season.
- Rhode Island's inaugural victory in the building was a 73-71 OT affair vs. USC (Nov. 26, 2002).
- Rhody's home game on Dec. 6, 2016 - a 51-39 victory over ODU - marked the 150th all-time win at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - JANUARY 12
- Rhode Island is 17-12 overall and 2-5 on A-10 games all-time on the January 12 calendar date.
- January 12 marks the dual celebrations of National Curried Chicken Day and National Pharmacist Day.
- On this date in 1777: the Santa Clara de Asis Mission was founded in northern California.
- On Jan. 12, 1921, Kennesaw Mountain Landis takes over as the commissioner of Major League Baseball.
- The Boeing 747 made its maiden voyage on Jan. 10, 1970, arriving at London Heathrow airport from New York JFK.
- Notable January 12 birthdays: chief foreign correspondent and URI alumna Christiane Amanpour, radio personality Howard Stern, Basketball Hall of Famer Dominique Wilkins, hockey player/businessman Tim Horton, rapper Raekwon the Chef, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, and Melanie Chisholm (aka Sporty Spice).
RHODE ISLAND'S SCHEDULE: ONE OF THE BEST IN THE NATION
- Through games of Jan. 10, Rhode Island's non-conference strength of schedule (SOS) is 25th nationally. URI's overall SOS is 38.
- Rhody faced two top 25 - Duke (14), Cincinnati (18) - and five total top 100 foes in the non-conference - Houston (64), Providence (70), and Valpo (76).
- The average RPI of the five losses this season - 48.2. Total point differential in those games - 24 points.
- Seven A-10 opponents (12 total games) are also top 100 RPI teams: Dayton (27), VCU (33), Saint Joseph's (68), Davidson (90), La Salle (91), St. Bonaventure (93), and Massachusetts (96).
- In total, Rhode Island's schedule features 12 top 100 RPI opponents over 17 total games in non-conference and A-10 play.
- KenPom.com rankings features nine top 100 opponents: Duke (8), Cincinnati (16), Dayton (34), Houston (41), VCU (55), Davidson (70), Providence (74), Valpo (84), and St. Bona (86).
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Rhody is one of 27 teams to rank in the top 55 in KenPom's adjusted offensive and defensive efficiency.
- In A-10 play, Rhode Island is scoring a league-best 1.20 points per possession - 0.03 ahead of the next closest team - Richmond.
- The Rhody defense also sits atop the A-10 in defensive PPP, holding its A-10 opponents to 0.90 points per possession.
- Rhode Island ranks first in the A-10 and 18th nationally in turnovers, averaging 10.9 per game. Michigan tops the list (9.1 TO/g).
- Hassan Martin's 3.6 blocks/game would rank third nationally. He does not qualify due to playing in less than 75% of URI's games.
- The Dayton game on Jan. 6 marked the 12th time in 15 games this season that Rhody's opponent held an advantage in free throws attempted.
THE DAYTON GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- For the third straight game, the Rams made at least 10 3-pointers - 10 at Saint Louis; 16 vs. Saint Joseph's; and 10 at Dayton.
- Rhode Island committed a season-high 18 turnovers - the most in a game since Nov. 21, 2015 when they had 23 vs. Cleveland State.
- Kuran Iverson posted his second double-double of the season and sixth of his career with 14 points and 13 rebounds.
- Since the 2010-11 season, the margin of victory has been five points or less in five of the last 10 meetings between URI and UD.
- Through 15 games, Rhode Island again leads the Atlantic 10 in scoring defense overall (64.2) and A-10 games only (60.3).
- The 64.2 points per game allowed ranks 31st nationally in scoring defense.
- URI is one of 13 teams nationally to lead its respective conference in scoring defense in each of the last two seasons.
- Additionally, URI is one of 15 teams to rank among the top 30 nationally in scoring defense in each of the last two years.
- The Rams held their opponents to an A-10 best 64.8 points per game in 2015-16 and 60.2 points per outing in 2014-15.
THREE IS THE MAGIC NUMBER VS. SAINT JOSEPH'S
- Rhode Island set a new single-game record with 16 3-pointers made on Jan. 3 against Saint Joseph's.
- After missing its first five 3FG attempts and starting the game 1-for-7 from the perimeter, Rhody made its next seven trifectas.
- The Rams connected on 9-of-17 in the first half (52.9%) before knocking down 7-of-13 (53.8%) 3FG in the second half.
- Kuran Iverson's 3-pointer with 4:30 to play set the new record. The previous high was 15 - vs. Stonehill, Dec. 20, 1986.
- Seven different players made at least one 3-pointer, led by five apiece by E.C. Matthews and Jared Terrell.
- The 16 3-pointers are also an Atlantic 10 single-game season high so far in 2016-17.
A GRAND PLAN: MARTIN, MATTHEWS JOIN RHODE ISLAND'S 1,000 POINT CLUB; TERRELL UP NEXT
- Hassan Martin became the 53rd player in Rhode Island history to reach the 1,000 point mark at Valpo on Nov. 29.
- In the season opener on Nov. 11, E.C. Matthews scored his 1,000th career point career at home vs. Dartmouth on Nov. 11.
- Jared Terrell (953) also has the 1,000 point mark on his radar this season, needing 47 more points to reach the milestone.
- Prior to Matthews, the last Rhody player to reach the 1,000 point mark was Xavier Munford in 2014.
- Rhode Island has never had more than two players reach the 1,000-point mark in the same season.
- Over the past five games, the Rhody bench is averaging 21.8 points and 12.8 rebounds, while shooting 50.6% from the floor.
- Rhody reserves are also averaging 4.8 assists, 3.6 steals, 1.4 blocks and posting a 1.41:1 assist/turnover ratio.
- Stanford Robinson is averaging 8.2 points, 3.0 rebounds, 2.8 assists, and has a 4.67:1 assist/turnover ratio in 23 minutes per game.
- Jeff Dowtin is averaging just under 7.0 points per game while shooting 65.0% from the floor (13-20) and 66.7% from 3FG (6-9).
- Nicola Akele is averaging close to 20 minutes off the bench, recording 3.8 points and 3.0 rebounds while connecting on 57.1% FG.