How It Happened
The top two teams in the Atlantic 10 battled for 40 minutes, with Dayton coming up with the 67-64 victory at UD Arena on Friday night.
Rhode Island led the entire first half, scoring the game's first seven points. A Hassan Martin jumper with 8:57 left in the half game the Rams a 10-point advantage, at 19-9. The Flyers would respond with a 12-5 run, cutting the URI lead to one (22-21, 3:43). Rhody led 27-25 at the half.
Dayton took its first lead of the contest with 17:25 left, after a Kyle Davis 3-pointer made it 32-31. But Jared Terrell would respond with a 3-ball of his own on the next possession to give the Rams the lead right back.
A Martin jumper made it 49-44 with 10:10 to go before Dayton scored the next 11 unanswered to go ahead 55-49 with just over six minutes to play. An E.C. Matthews 3-pointer with 1:06 left made it a one-point game - 63-62. After both teams traded baskets to keep it at one, Dayton converted 1-of-2 free throws to make it 64-62 with 12 seconds to play. Jarvis Garrett missed a chance at the rim on the last full URI possession.
Inside the Box Score
- Kuran Iverson posted his second double-double of the season with 14 points and 13 rebounds. The 6-9 senior was 6-for-12 from the floor, while also tallying four assists and two blocked shots in 32 minutes.
- Stanford Robinson came off the bench to score a season-high 13 points in 24 minutes. He added three boards, two assists and a steal.
- E.C. Matthews knocked down 3-of-6 from beyond the arc en route to scoring 13 points.
- Hassan Martin and Jared Terrell each tallied seven points - season-lows for each player.
- For the game, Rhode Island shot 44.0% (22-50) from the floor - including 10-of-21 from beyond the arc.
- Dayton held a 26-14 advantage in free throws attempted, making 17. The Rams converted 10.
- Seven of the 14 Rhody free throw attempts came over the final 2:44 of the game.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
18 - Rhode Island committed a season-high 18 turnovers. It was the highest turnover total in a game for the Rams since Nov. 21, 2015 when they had 23 turnovers vs. Cleveland State.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
20 - The Rhode Island bench combined to score 20 points. It is the seventh game with at least 20 points for the Rhody reserves. URI is 6-1 when the bench scores at least 20 points.
Rhody returns to action on Thursday night when it hosts La Salle on Jan. 12 at the Thomas M. Ryan Center. The game will air live nationally on the CBS Sports Network, beginning at 7 p.m. The game can be heard live locally on the Rhody Sports Network on B101 (101.5 FM) and through the iHeartMedia app.