Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: vs. William & Mary
Cox 21 (SD) or 1015 (HD); Verizon 14 (SD) or 514 (HD); Comcast 292 (SD) or 820 (HD); Full Channel 91; Charter 113; Off Air Channel 64.2
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
$10 Tickets - Sit in the Student Section for just $10 per ticket!
Weeknight Value Pack - For just $25, get two tickets and two popcorns
RHODE ISLAND VS. WILLIAM & MARY - ALL-TIME SERIES
- The all-time series between the Rams and the Tribe is knotted at 1-1.
- Both of the previous meetings between the two schools were on neutral courts.
- The Rams lost the first meeting, 100-96, on Dec. 28, 1955 in Richmond, Va.
- Rhode Island won, 80-70, on Dec. 28, 1990 in Hartford, Conn.
- Associate HC David Cox was a four-year letterwinner for the Tribe from 1992-95.
- He dished out 336 career assists - ninth-best in W&M's career record book - and connected on 137 3-pointers en route to scoring 670 career points.
RHODE ISLAND VS. THE CAA
- Rhode Island is 12-4 against CAA teams since the league was formed in 1985.
- URI was 1-1 vs. the CAA in 2012-13, losing to George Mason before beating Georgia State. Both teams have joined the A-10 and Sun Belt conferences, respectively.
- Between 2007-12, the Rams faced at least one CAA opponent each season.
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 151-75 all-time record in the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- The Rams are 78-25 in the regular season and 87-26 overall in non-conference games played at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- URI has won 18 of its last 20 and 27 of its last 31 home non-conference games
- Last season marked the 11th time in venue history that the Rams won 10 or more home games in a single season.
- Rhode Island's inaugural victory in the building was a 73-71 OT affair vs. USC (Nov. 26, 2002).
- Rhody's home game on Dec. 6, 2016 - a 51-39 victory over ODU - marked the 150th all-time win at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
RHODE ISLAND'S NON-CONFERENCE SLATE ONE OF THE BEST IN THE NATION
- Through games of Dec. 19, Rhode Island's strength of schedule (SOS) is 28th nationally.
- Rhode Island is the only team in the top 50 of the RPI to have played five games vs. top 50 opponents.
- Additionally, Rhode Island is the only top 50 RPI team to have played three true road games vs top 50 opponents.
- Duke (12), Providence (29), Valparaiso (33), and Houston (39), and Cincinnati (48) are ranked in the top 50.
- Three conference opponents (five games) are also top 50 RPI teams: VCU (26), Dayton (40), and Davidson (46).
- The average RPI of the four losses this season - 28.3. Total point differential in those games - 21 points.
- Valpo, Providence, and Houston - were true road games; Cincinnati and Duke - were neutral-site contests.
- KenPom.com rankings of opponents: Duke (1), Cincinnati (18), Providence (50), Houston (51), Valparaiso (77), ODU (95).
- In total, Rhode Island's schedule features 12 top 100 opponents over 16 total games in non-conference and A-10 play.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- E.C. Matthews, Jarvis Garrett, and Jared Terrell have played together in 45 career games.
- During that span, the trio of guards have scored in double figures in the same game on four occasions.
- The last time came vs. Iona in the first round of the NIT on March 17, 2015 (Matthews, Terrell - 18 pts; Garrett 10 pts).
- Rhody's 2-point FG% of 67.7% (21-31) vs. Holy Cross was a season-high for shooting percentage inside the arc.
- Rhode Island has not registered a dunk over its last three games; not coincidentally, Hassan Martin has missed those three games.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - DECEMBER 22
- Rhode Island is 10-4 all-time in games played on December 22. In 1989, Rhody earned a 54-point victory over UDC (101-47).
- Dec. 22 is National Date Nut Bread Day as well as Forefathers Day, celebrating the landing of the Mayflower in Plimoth, Mass.
- On this date in 1882: the first-ever string of Christmas lights was created by Thomas Edison.
- Also on this date in 1969, Pete Maravich connects on an NCAA record 30-of-31 from the free throw line vs. Oregon State.
- Notable Dec. 22 birthdays: newscaster Diane Sawyer, actress Barbara Billingsley, and artist Jean-Michel Basquiat.
THE HOLY CROSS GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- The Rams dominated the backboard, limited Holy Cross to 19 rebounds for the game (six offensive/13 defensive).
- Rhody had its worst assist/turnover ratio of the season, dishing out nine assists while committing a season-high 14 turnovers.
- Jared Terrell scored 13 of his game-high 18 points in the second half, including six straight points that put the game out of reach.
- URI's reserves combined for 23 points, 11 rebounds, three assists, two blocks and three steals.
- The Rhody bench provided a spark vs. Holy Cross, combining for 23 points, 11 rebounds, three assists, two blocks and three steals.
- Nicola Akele tallied eight points (4-4 FG) while grabbing a career-high six rebounds and notching two steals in 29 minutes.
- Stanford Robinson added seven points, five rebounds, three assists and two blocked shots on 26 minutes.
- Jeff Dowtin (five points) and Andre Berry (three points) also made solid contributions toward the Rhody win.
MATTHEWS SCORES SEASON-HIGH 31 AT HOUSTON
- E.C. Matthews poured in a game and season-high 31 points at Houston on Dec. 10.
- The 6-5 guard connected on his first four 3-point attempts en route to making six 3FG for the game.
- It was the second straight game that Matthews led the team in scoring - he had a game-high 15 points vs. ODU.
- Over his last two games, Matthews is averaging 23.0 points while shooting 47.2% from the floor and 44.4% from the perimeter.
- Prior to the ODU game, he was averaging 7.5 points and shooting just under 29% over a four-game stretch.
- He ranks second on the team - and 14th in the Atlantic 10 - in scoring, at 15.4 points per game.
LANGEVINE ANNOUNCING PRESENCE WITH AUTHORITY
- Cyril Langevine tallied his first collegiate double-double last time out at Houston, with 10 points and 11 rebounds.
- Since entering the starting lineup on Dec. 6, the 6-8 forward is averaging 6.7 points, 6.7 rebounds, and 2.3 blocks per game.
- The freshman post player has tallied seven blocked shots in his last three games - including a season-high four swats vs. ODU.
- Through the first eight games of the season, Langevine averaged less than 10 minutes of play per game.
- Over the last three games, Langevine is averaging 25.0 minutes per game.
GARRETT DISHING & SWISHING
- Jarvis Garrett ranks fifth in the Atlantic 10 on assist/turnover ratio (1.83:1) and 10th in assists per game (3.8 assists/game).
- Since taking over as the starting point guard on Jan. 17, 2015, Jarvis Garrett has posted a 2.01:1 assist/turnover ratio (251:125).
- In the 34 victories over that span (58 games), Garrett's ATR in wins is 2.40:1 (156:65).
- He emerged as one of the top point guards in the A-10 in 2015-16, averaging 12.5 points and 4.7 assists per game.
- Garrett recorded 146 assists in 2015-16 – the seventh-highest single-season total in URI history.
- The Milwaukee native connected on 42% of his 3-point attempts (44-105) – including a league-best 52.4% in A-10 play (33-63).
- He missed the Feb. 2 OT loss at UMass and played the final 10 games of the season with a protective facemask due to a broken jaw suffered after a flagrant foul against Saint Joseph's on Jan. 30.
NOW TRENDING: JARED TERRELL
- Since Jared Terrell's freshman year during the 2014-15 season - the Rams are 15-7 when he scores 15 or more points.
- The Rams are 34-14 when the Weymouth, Mass. native reaches double figures in the scoring column.
- Terrell led Rhode Island with a season-high 22 points (8-15 FG) on Nov. 20 against #1/1 Duke.
- Last season, Terrell led URI in scoring at 13.5 points per game - becoming the second straight sophomore to lead the squad in scoring.
- Rhode Island is 13-15 when Terrell scores less than 10 points.