Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: vs. Holy Cross
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
RHODE ISLAND VS. HOLY CROSS - ALL-TIME SERIES
- Tonight marks the 41st meeting between Rhode Island and Holy Cross.
- The Rams are 14-26 all-time versus the Crusaders, dating back to 1908-09.
- Rhode Island dropped 17 consecutive games to the Jesuit school from Worcester, through the Bob Cousy (1946-50) and Tom Heinsohn (1953-56) eras, into 1962-63.
- URI won the last meeting - a 74-56 decision at the Ryan Center on Dec. 2, 2015.
- HC is now tied with Rutgers as URI's 17th most common opponent (41 games).
RHODE ISLAND VS. THE PATRIOT LEAGUE
- Rhode Island is 6-1 all-time against Patriot League opponents.
- Last year, the Rams earned two Patriot League wins - American and Holy Cross.
- Holy Cross is a charter member of the Patriot League, which began play in 1990-91.
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 150-75 all-time record in the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- The Rams are 77-25 in the regular season and 86-26 overall in non-conference games played at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- URI has won 17 of its last 19 and 26 of its last 30 home non-conference games
- Last season marked the 11th time in venue history that the Rams won 10 or more home games in a single season.
- Rhode Island's inaugural victory in the building was a 73-71 OT affair vs. USC (Nov. 26, 2002).
- Rhody's last home game - a 51-39 victory over ODU - marked the 150th all-time win at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- For the first time since 2013-14, two Rhody players - Hassan Martin and E.C. Matthews - each have a 30-point performance.
- The last time three different URI players had a 30-point game in the same season: 1967-68
- Rhody has allowed opponents to shoot better than 50.0% in a half on three occasions this season (20 total halves).
- URI is tied for second in the A-10 with Dayton in points per possession (1.10). St. Bonaventure & La Salle top the list (1.13).
- Rhode Island is the only team in the Atlantic 10 to have three players rank among the top 20 in the league in scoring.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - DECEMBER 18
- Rhode Island is 5-9 all-time in games played on December 18 - including a 74-66 loss to Holy Cross in 1982 (Providence Civic Center).
- December 18 marks the dual celebration of National Roast Suckling Pig Day and National Bake Cookies Day.
- On this date in 1787: New Jersey becomes the third state to ratify the United States Constitution.
- Also on this date in 1966, "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" airs for the first time on the CBS network.
- Notable Dec. 18 birthdays: actor Brad Pitt, guitarist Keith Richards, pop star Christina Aguilera, and Archduke Franz Ferdinand.
THE HOUSTON GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- There were six ties and 13 lead changes over the 40 minutes of play between the Rams and Cougars.
- For the second time this season (Valpo was the other), an opponent made (26) more free throws than Rhode Island attempted (23).
- E.C. Matthews connected on his first four 3FG attempts en route to his season-high 31 points.
- Cyril Langevine registered a double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds - and one field goal made.
THE NON-CONFERENCE SLATE ONE OF THE BEST IN THE NATION
- Rhode Island has played five teams ranked in the top 50 of the NCAA RPI through the first 10 games of the season.
- Duke (19), Providence (25), Valparaiso (32), and Houston (39), and Cincinnati (45) are ranked in the top 50.
- Only two teams in the top 60 of the RPI have played five opponents ranked among the top 50. Nebraska is the other.
- The average RPI of the four losses this season - 29. Total point differential in those games - 21 points.
- Valpo, Providence, and Houston - were true road games; Cincinnati and Duke - were neutral-site contests.
- KenPom.com rankings of Rhody's opponents: Duke (1), Cincinnati (21), Providence (51), Houston (54), Valparaiso (81).
- Through games of Dec. 15, Rhody's strength of schedule (SOS) is ranked 34th nationally.
MATTHEWS HEATING UP - SEASON-HIGH 31 AT HOUSTON
- E.C. Matthews poured in a game and season-high 31 points at Houston on Dec. 10.
- The 6-5 guard connected on his first four 3-point attempts en route to making six 3FG for the game.
- It was the second straight game that Matthews led the team in scoring - he had a game-high 15 points vs. ODU.
- Over his last two games, Matthews is averaging 23.0 points while shooting 47.2% from the floor and 44.4% from the perimeter.
- Prior to the ODU game, he was averaging 7.5 points and shooting just under 29% over a four-game stretch.
- He ranks second on the team - and 14th in the Atlantic 10 - in scoring, at 15.4 points per game.
LANGEVINE ANNOUNCING PRESENCE WITH AUTHORITY
- Cyril Langevine tallied his first collegiate double-double last time out at Houston, with 10 points and 11 rebounds.
- The 6-8 forward is averaging 6.5 points and 8.0 rebounds since entering the starting lineup on Dec. 6 vs. ODU.
- The freshman post player has tallied six blocked shots in his last two games - including a season-high four swats vs. ODU.
- Through the first eight games of the season, Langevine averaged less than 10 minutes of play per game.
- He played 23 minutes against ODU and saw 27 minutes of action at Houston.
SUPREME DEFENSIVE EFFORT VS. ODU
Lowest Point Total (39)
- The 39 points were the fewest by a Rhody opponent in a single-game since Nov. 29, 2005, when Boston University scored 38 points.
- It set a new Ryan Center record for fewest points allowed. The previous mark was 42, on Nov. 13, 2015 vs. American.
- It is the 10th-lowest single-game point total in a game featuring two NCAA Division I teams this season.
First Half Point Total (17)
- The Rams held ODU to 17 first half points - the lowest first half total since La Salle scored 17 points on Jan. 22, 2015.
- Prior to that, on Dec. 22, 2013, New Hampshire scored 15 first half points.
- Rhody forced 19 turnovers and notched 10 steals - the second time this season with at least 19 TO forced and 10 steals.
- URI forced 20 turnovers and registered 12 steals in the season opener vs. Dartmouth on Nov. 11, 2016.
3-pointers Made (0)
- URI held ODU without a made 3-point FG (0-6) - the last time a Rhody foe did not make a 3FG was Feb. 22, 2010 (Fordham 0-5).
FG% Defense (29.2%)
- URI's FG% defensive mark of 29.2% was the lowest since holding Cleveland State to 27.3% from the floor on Nov. 21, 2015.
RHODY RECORD BOOK RESET
44. E.C. Matthews 1,153 points; needs three more points to pass Mike Brown (1989-93, 1,156 points)
53. Hassan Martin 1,021 points; needs 20 more points to pass Dustin Hellenga (2001-04, 1,040 points)
NR Hassan Martin 646 rebounds; needs 71 more rebounds to crack URI's career top 10 list
NR Jarvis Garrett 278 assists; needs 16 more to crack URI's career top 10 list
1. Hassan Martin 58.4%; is currently Rhody's career FG% leader
2. Hassan Martin 279 blocks; needs 49 more blocks to become URI's all-time blocks leader
NR E.C. Matthews 134 3-pointers made; needs eight more made 3FG to crack URI's top 10 career list