Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: vs. ODU
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
Toy Drive - Fans are encouraged to donate an unwrapped toy to benefit Lights & Sirens International and Esperanza-Hope. Fans will receive a voucher for a half-priced ticket to a future game for every toy donated.
Two-for-One Tuesday - Buy one ticket to Tuesday night's ODU game, receive one free.
Weeknight Value Pack - For just $25, get two tickets and two popcorns
Students - The first 500 students will receive a specially branded RI Santa hat; Subway gift cards
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS ODU
- Rhode Island holds a 2-3 all-time record versus ODU.
- Last year, the Rams dropped a 71-65 decision in Norfolk on Dec. 22, 2015.
- Prior to last year's meeting, the four previous matchups came in the early 1980's.
- ODU head coach Jeff Jones spent a season as an assistant at URI in 1999-2000 before becoming the head coach at American.
RHODE ISLAND VS. CONFERENCE USA
- The Rams have posted a 5-12 all-time mark versus Conference USA opponents.
- The last win over a C-USA foe came on Dec. 6, 2014 (75-43 at Southern Miss).
- In 2012-13, URI downed SMU, 72-50, when the Mustangs were a C-USA member.
- In 2009-10 and 2010-11, Rhode Island played at UCF and dropped both meetings.
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 149-75 all-time record in the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- The Rams are 76-25 in the regular season and 85-26 overall in non-conference games played at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- URI has won 16 of its last 18 and 25 of its last 29 home non-conference games. In A-10 play, URI is 65-49 all-time at the Ryan Center.
- Last season marked the 11th time in venue history that the Rams won 10 or more home games in a single season.
- Rhode Island's inaugural victory in the building was a 73-71 OT affair vs. USC (Nov. 26, 2002).
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Rhode Island's three losses are by a combined 16 points. Two of three losses were by three points (at Valpo; at Providence).
- In each of those three losses, the Rams committed a season-low nine turnovers as a team.
- Hassan Martin now has two career games with at least 16 total rebounds with 11 of them coming on the defensive end.
- Nicola Akele committed his first turnover of the season at Providence; he has played 110 minutes this season (14 mpg avg.).
- Jared Terrell is shooting 50% from the floor (6-12) and 87.5% from the FT line (7-8) over the last five minutes of games.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - DECEMBER 6
- Rhode Island is 11-15 all-time in games played on the December 6 calendar date.
- December 6 marks the tri-celebration of National Pawnbroker Day, National Microwave Oven Day, and National Gazpacho Day.
- On this date in 1865: the 13th Amendment is ratified, abolishing slavery in the United States.
- Also on this date in 1921, the Anglo-Irish Treaty is signed, giving Ireland dominion status while creating a partition for Northern Ireland.
- Notable Dec. 6 birthdays: Hall of Fame quarterback Otto Graham, N.Y. Governor Andrew Cuomo, producer Judd Apatow, and NBA star Giannis Antetokounmpo.
THE PROVIDENCE GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- Rhody registered a season-low six assists on 22 made field goals. Jarvis Garrett had three of them.
- It marked the first time this season the the Rams lost after leading at the half.
- Hassan Martin's 17 rebounds set a new career high. He grabbed 11 rebounds on the defensive end.
- There were seven ties and five lead changes in the game.
THE NON-CONFERENCE SLATE HEATING UP
- Rhode Island will face its fifth top 100 ranked opponent (through nine games) of the season tonight against ODU.
- The Monarchs enter tonight's game ranked 98th on the KenPom.com rankings.
- Duke (2), Cincinnati (21), Providence (53), Valparaiso (74) are the others.
- Two of those games - at Valpo and at Providence - were true road contests, while two - vs. Cincinnati and vs. Duke - were neutral.
- Rhody's next opponent - Houston - is currently ranked 58th on KenPom.com.
- The NCAA officially announces its first ratings percentage index (RPI) rankings tomorrow (Dec. 6, 2016).
A GRAND PLAN: MARTIN BECOMES 53RD RAM TO JOIN 1,000 POINT CLUB
- Hassan Martin became the 53rd player in Rhode Island history to reach the 1,000 point mark at Valpo on Nov. 29.
- Martin reached the milestone after hitting a jumper with 5:28 left in the second half vs. the Crusaders.
- Jared Terrell (862) also has the 1,000 point mark on his radar this season.
- In the season opener on Nov. 11, E.C. Matthews earned the 1,000-point career milestone at home vs. Dartmouth on Nov. 11.
- The last Rhody player to reach the 1,000 point mark was Xavier Munford in 2014. He achieved the milestone in just 59 games.
- Rhode Island has never had more than two players reach the 1,000-point mark in the same season.
ALLOW ME TO RE-INTRODUCE MYSELF - GARRETT SCORES SEASON-HIGH 23 VS. BELMONT
- Jarvis Garrett had his best offensive game of the season with a 23-point performance vs. Belmont on Nov. 25.
- The 6-0 point guard knocked down 8-of-11 from the floor - including 3-of-5 from the perimeter - and all four of his FT attempts.
- It was his second career 20+ point performance and three points shy of his career-high (26 at La Salle, Feb. 6, 2016).
- Following the game, Garrett said: "Coach Hurley talked me after the Duke game, telling me I needed to be more aggressive. My teammates noticed it as well. I had two great practices these past two days which led to me being more aggressive in the game."
START TO 2016-17 PROVING MORE EFFICIENT FOR TERRELL
- Through eight games this season, Jared Terrell is connecting at a much higher rate from the floor vs. the 2015-16 season.
- Last year, Terrell averaged 11.4 ppg, shot 34.4% (31-90) from the floor and 27.3% from 3FG (9-33) through the first eight games.
- This season, the 6-3 guard is averaging 15.1 ppg., 47.3% (43-91) from the floor and 44.8% (13-29) from beyond the arc.
MATTHEWS ON THE WATCHLIST FOR NAISMITH, LUTE OLSEN, JERRY WEST AWARDS
- Junior guard E.C. Matthews has been recognized on the watchlists of three major national awards.
- On Nov. 9, Matthews was listed among 50 players on the watchlist for the Naismith Men's College Player of the Year award.
- He is also on the watchlist for the Lute Olson Award - presented to the nation's top player who has played at least two seasons.
- For the third straight season, Matthews was named to the Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Award watch list.
MARTIN RANKS AMONG NCAA LEADERS IN BLOCKED SHOTS
- Hassan Martin – the 2015-16 A-10 Defensive Player of the Year – ranks third nationally in blocked shots, averaging 3.88 per game.
- He currently ranks second among active Division I players in career blocks (279) and third in blocked shot average (2.81 bpg).
- He needs 49 blocks to become URI's all-time career leader, passing Kenny Green (328 blocks, 1985-90).
- In 2015-16, the 6-7 forward led the A-10 in blocks for the third consecutive year, averaging 2.5 swats per game.
- Martin finished the 2015-16 campaign ranked 18th in blocks per game and 41st in total blocks (65) nationally.
- Additionally, he needs 10 more blocks to pass St. Bonaventure's Caswell Cyrus (289) to crack the A-10's top 10 blocked shots list.