Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: at Providence
TV: Fox Sports Network (OSN locally)
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
Internet: iHeartRadio.com (audio)
RHODE ISLAND VS. PROVIDENCE - ALL-TIME SERIES
- For the 129th time, Rhode Island and Providence will face off on the hardwood.
- URI's fourth-most common opponent, the Rams are 56-72 all-time vs. the Friars, which began their long-time series on Dec. 7, 1920.
- In the last meeting, Rhody lost 72-70 at the buzzer on Dec. 5, 2015 in Kingston.
- Providence has won the last six overall meetings between the two teams.
- The last three matchups have been decided by a total of 11 points; two of those games - in 2013 and 2015 - were one and two point games, respectively.
RHODE ISLAND VS. PROVIDENCE - VENUE & RECORDS
Record at URI: The Rams lead 38-28.
- In games played at the Ryan Center, Rhody is 4-3
- With the Providence Civic Center as its home court, the Rams were 8-9.
Record at Providence: The Friars lead 42-17.
- Last time in the Capital City, Providence won, 68-60 (Dec. 10, 2014).
- The last URI win at the Dunk came on Dec. 7, 2002 (W, 73-71).
Neutral Court: The Friars lead 2-1.
- All three games were played at the Providence Civic Center.
Providence Civic Center: The Rams are 51-60 in "home" games
- Beginning with a 95-93 loss to Oral Roberts on Feb. 6, 1973 and concluding with the completion of the Ryan Center in 2002, the University of Rhode Island played 111 "home" games at the Providence Civic Center/Dunkin Donuts Center.
RHODE ISLAND VS. THE BIG EAST
- Rhode Island is 20-54 all-time versus Big East opponents.
- The Rams have dropped their last eight meetings vs. Big East opponents.
- Dan Hurley is 1-7 all-time coaching against Big East schools - the win came at #15 Pittsburgh (Dec. 23, 2011) when he was at Wagner.
RHODE ISLAND RANKS IN THE ASSOCIATED PRESS AND USA TODAY COACHES PRESEASON TOP 25 POLLS
- Rhode Island is ranked No. 21 on the Associated Press and No. 25 on the coaches poll, released on Nov. 28.
- The Rams jumped up two spots on the AP poll from the previous week, while it maintained its position on the coaches poll.
- On the preseason polls, the Rams ranked No. 23 and No. 24 on the AP and USA Today Coaches polls, respectively.
- It marked the first time that Rhody was ranked in both preseason polls since the 1998-99 season.
- That season, URI started off at No. 23 in the AP and No. 25 on the coaches preseason polls.
- The Rams have spent four consecutive weeks ranked on the AP poll - the second-longest stretch in school history.
- During the 1997-98 season, Rhody spent six straight weeks through late December and January ranked on the AP poll.
RHODE ISLAND - ALL-TIME RECORD AS A RANKED TEAM
- URI is 23-11 all-time when ranked on the Associated Press Top 25 poll.
- The Rams were ranked for 10 total weeks during the 1997-98 season, compiling a 12-5 mark.
- URI was ranked for two weeks in 1998-99 and posted a 2-2 record.
- In 2007-08, Rhody went 4-2 while ranked on the AP poll for four consecutive weeks in late December-early January.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- According to KenPom.com, Rhode Island ranks 14th nationally in block percentage, swatting 17.2% of opponents FG attempts.
- A major reason why: Hassan Martin is posting a 15.6% block percentage through seven games - second-best nationally.
- Rhody is averaging 1.15 points per possession this year. The Valpo game was the only time URI averaged less than 1.0 PPP (0.93).
- The Rams rank #22 on CBS Sports' top 25 (and one) and #24 on Sports Illustrated's power rankings, as of Dec. 1.
- Opponents have made 20 more free throws on the season - an average of close to three more FT made per game so far.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - DECEMBER 3
- Rhode Island is 11-7 all-time in games played on the December 3 calendar date.
- The Rams are 1-1 all-time vs. the Friars on the date - winning 77-69 at the Ryan Center (2005); losing 80-77 (1994) at the Civic Center.
- December 3 marks the celebration of National Roof Over Your Head Day.
- On this date in 1854: the Eureka Stockade Rebellion took place on the goldfields of Australia when miners at Ballarat clashed with the British colonial government over the mining licenses. The events helped pave the way for democracy in Australia.
- Also on this date in 1931, antacid Alka Seltzer hits the market for the first time.
- Notable Dec. 3 birthdays: musician Ozzy Osbourne, actress Julianne Moore, author Joseph Conrad, and Gold medalist Katarina Witt.
THE VALPO GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- It marked the third game this season that the Rams registered at least nine steals and forced 17 turnovers.
- Valpo made more free throws (18) than Rhode Island attempted (10).
- Rhode Island's 42.3% (25-59) shooting from the floor tied its season-low FG% - the Rams also shot 42.3% in the loss to #1/1 Duke.
- Both games in the home/home series were decided by three points. Valpo won last year's meeting, 58-55, on Nov. 17, 2015.
A GRAND PLAN: MARTIN BECOMES 53RD RAM TO JOIN 1,000 POINT CLUB
- Hassan Martin became the 53rd player in Rhode Island history to reach the 1,000 point mark last time out at Valpo.
- Martin reached the milestone after hitting a jumper with 5:28 left in the second half vs. the Crusaders.
- Jared Terrell (848) also has the 1,000 point mark on his radar this season.
- In the season opener on Nov. 11, E.C. Matthews earned the 1,000-point career milestone at home vs. Dartmouth on Nov. 11.
- The last Rhody player to reach the 1,000 point mark was Xavier Munford in 2014. He achieved the milestone in just 59 games.
- Rhode Island has never had more than two players reach the 1,000-point mark in the same season.
MONSTER GAME FOR MARTIN VS. BELMONT
- Hassan Martin poured in a career-high 31 points against Belmont, connecting on 14-of-20 field goals in 34 minutes of play.
- The 31-point performance is the first since Dec. 30, 2015 when Four McGlynn went for 33 in an overtime win at Brown.
- The last 30+ point game for a Rhody player in regulation came on Feb. 22, 2014 at St. Bonaventure (Xavier Munford - 32).
- The last Rhody player with at least 14 field goals made in a game was Dawan Robinson (14 vs. Quinnipiac, Dec. 22, 2005).
ALLOW ME TO RE-INTRODUCE MYSELF - GARRETT SCORES SEASON-HIGH 23 VS. BELMONT
- Jarvis Garrett had his best offensive game of the season with a 23-point performance vs. Belmont on Nov. 25.
- The 6-0 point guard knocked down 8-of-11 from the floor - including 3-of-5 from the perimeter - and all four of his FT attempts.
- It was his second career 20+ point performance and three points shy of his career-high (26 at La Salle, Feb. 6, 2016).
- Following the game, Garrett said: "Coach Hurley talked me after the Duke game, telling me I needed to be more aggressive. My teammates noticed it as well. I had two great practices these past two days which led to me being more aggressive in the game."
START TO 2016-17 PROVING MORE EFFICIENT FOR TERRELL
- Through seven games this season, Jared Terrell is connecting at a much higher rate from the floor vs. the 2015-16 season.
- Last year, Terrell averaged 10.2 ppg, shooting 33.3% (22-60) from the floor and 25.0% from 3FG (5-20) through the first seven games.
- This season, the 6-3 guard is averaging 15.3 ppg., 48.1% (38-79) from the floor and 48.0% (12-25) from beyond the arc.
MATTHEWS ON THE WATCHLIST FOR NAISMITH, LUTE OLSEN, JERRY WEST AWARDS
- Junior guard E.C. Matthews has been recognized on the watchlists of three major national awards.
- On Nov. 9, Matthews was listed among 50 players on the watchlist for the Naismith Men's College Player of the Year award.
- He is also on the watchlist for the Lute Olson Award - presented to the nation's top player who has played at least two seasons.
- For the third straight season, Matthews was named to the Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Award watch list.
DAN HURLEY: IN ELITE COMPANY AMONG COACHES
- Dan Hurley is one of two active head coaches to coach a nationally ranked high school and NCAA Division I team.
- Hurley was the highly successful head coach of St. Benedict's Prep in Newark, N.J from 2001-10, where he led the Grey Bees to a 223-21 overall record and four top five finishes on the USA Today Super 25 high school poll.
- Frank Martin of South Carolina is the other head coach to reach this unique milestone. His 1997-98 Miami South H.S. team ranked No. 4 on the USA Today Super 25, while also earning national rankings collegiately with Kansas State and South Carolina.
MARTIN RANKS AMONG NCAA LEADERS IN BLOCKS
- Hassan Martin – the 2015-16 A-10 Defensive Player of the Year – ranks second nationally in blocked shots, averaging 4.14 per game.
- He currently ranks second among active Division I players in career blocks (277) and blocked shot average (2.82 bpg).
- He needs 51 blocks to become URI's all-time career leader, passing Kenny Green (328 blocks, 1985-90).
- In 2015-16, the 6-7 forward led the A-10 in blocks for the third consecutive year, averaging 2.5 swats per game.
- Martin finished the 2015-16 campaign ranked 18th in blocks per game and 41st in total blocks (65) nationally.
- Additionally, he needs 12 more blocks to pass St. Bonaventure's Caswell Cyrus (289) to crack the A-10's top 10 blocked shots list.