Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: vs. Valparaiso
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
RHODE ISLAND VS. VALPARAISO - ALL-TIME SERIES
- Today is the fifth meeting between Rhode Island and Valpo on the hardwood.
- The Rams are 1-3 all-time against the Crusaders in the four previous games.
- URI's lone win came in the 1998 NCAA Tourney - 74-68 - in the Sweet 16 round.
- Rhody assistant Antonio Reynolds-Dean had 16 points, 11 boards and three blocks for the Rams and was the CBS/Chevrolet Player of the Game.
- Last year, Valpo earned a 58-55 victory in Kingston on Nov. 17, 2015 in a game played at 10 a.m. ET as part of ESPN's Tipoff Marathon.
- It was URI's first game after losing E.C. Matthews to a season-ending knee injury.
- The Crusaders also won both ends of a home/home series between 2000-01.
RHODE ISLAND VS. THE HORIZON LEAGUE
- Today's game marks the 15th time Rhode Island has faced a Horizon League opponent.
- The Rams are 5-9 all-time vs. schools that now make up the Horizon League.
- URI's last win over a HL opponent came on Dec. 20, 2014 (69-55 vs. Detroit).
RHODE ISLAND - ALL-TIME RECORD AS A RANKED TEAM
- URI is 23-10 all-time when ranked on the Associated Press Top 25 poll.
- The Rams were ranked for 10 total weeks during the 1997-98 season, compiling a 12-5 mark.
- URI was ranked for two weeks in 1998-99 and posted a 2-2 record.
- In 2007-08, Rhody went 4-2 while ranked on the AP poll for four consecutive weeks in late December-early January.
RHODE ISLAND RANKS IN THE ASSOCIATED PRESS AND USA TODAY COACHES PRESEASON TOP 25 POLLS
- Rhode Island is ranked No. 21 on the Associated Press and No. 25 on the coaches poll, released on Nov. 28.
- The Rams jumped up two spots on the AP poll from the previous week, while it maintained its position on the coaches poll.
- On the preseason polls, the Rams ranked No. 23 and No. 24 on the AP and USA Today Coaches polls, respectively.
- It marked the first time that Rhody was ranked in both preseason polls since the 1998-99 season.
- That season, URI started off at No. 23 in the AP and No. 25 on the coaches preseason polls.
- The Rams have spent four consecutive weeks ranked on the AP poll - the second-longest stretch in school history.
- During the 1997-98 season, Rhody spent six straight weeks through late December and January ranked on the AP poll.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Rhode Island ranks 25th nationally and first in the Atlantic 10 in 3FG% defense, holding foes to 27.4% from the perimeter.
- The Rams are averaging 17.5 points off turnovers per game. Opponents are scoring just 9.5 points per game off Rhody turnovers.
- Using plus/minus, Rhody's starting five (Terrell +88, Garrett +63, Matthews +57, Iverson +55, Martin +53) is a combined +316.
- As a lineup together on the court through six games (73:53 total), the first five is a collective +29.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - NOVEMBER 29
- Rhode Island is 7-1 all-time in games played on the November 29 calendar date.
- Nov. 29 marks the celebration of National E-Greeting Day.
- On this date in 1972: Atari releases Pong in Andy Capp's Cafe in Sunnyvale, Calif. Pong was the first commercially successful video game.
- Also on this date in 1890, Navy wins the inaugural Army/Navy football game, 24-0, at West Point.
- Notable Nov. 29 birthdays: late comedian Garry Handling, actor Don Cheadle, U.S. Congressman and civil rights activist Adam Clayton Powell Jr., broadcaster Vin Scully, and Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel.
THE BELMONT GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- Rhody tied its season-high with 50 points in the paint. The Rams also tallied 50 post points in the season opener vs. Dartmouth.
- URI held Belmont to 5-of-27 shooting from 3-point land. The Bruins entered the game averaging close to 11 made 3FG per game.
- Hassan Martin (31) and Jarvis Garrett (23) became the first Rhody duo to score 30 and 20 points in the same game since Xavier Munford (32) and E.C. Matthews (24) in an 87-78 win at St. Bonaventure on Feb. 22, 2014.
- Rhode Island registered its third game of the season shooting better than 50.0% from the floor (31-56). Only 10 were 3FG attempts.
MONSTER GAME FOR MARTIN VS. BELMONT
- Hassan Martin poured in a career-high 31 points against Belmont, connecting on 14-of-20 field goals in 34 minutes of play.
- The 31-point performance is the first since Dec. 30, 2015 when Four McGlynn went for 33 in an overtime win at Brown.
- The last 30+ point game for a Rhody player in regulation came on Feb. 22, 2014 at St. Bonaventure (Xavier Munford - 32).
- The last Rhody player with at least 14 field goals made in a game was Dawan Robinson (14 vs. Quinnipiac, Dec. 22, 2005).
ALLOW ME TO RE-INTRODUCE MYSELF - GARRETT SCORES SEASON-HIGH 23 VS. BELMONT
- Jarvis Garrett had his best offensive game of the season with a 23-point performance vs. Belmont on Nov. 25.
- The 6-0 point guard knocked down 8-of-11 from the floor - including 3-of-5 from the perimeter - and all four of his FT attempts.
- It was his second career 20+ point performance and three points shy of his career-high (26 at La Salle, Feb. 6, 2016).
- Following the game, Garrett said: "Coach Hurley talked me after the Duke game, telling me I needed to be more aggressive. My teammates noticed it as well. I had two great practices these past two days which led to me being more aggressive in the game."
FIRST SIX GAMES OF 2016-17 PROVING MORE EFFICIENT FOR TERRELL
- Through six games this season, Jared Terrell is connecting at a much higher rate from the floor vs. the 2015-16 season.
- Last year, Terrell averaged 10.2 ppg, shooting 33.3% (22-60) from the floor and 25.0% from 3FG (5-20) through the first six games.
- This season, the 6-3 guard is averaging 14.3 ppg., 47.5% (29-61) from the floor and 47.4% (9-19) from beyond the arc.
MATTHEWS ON THE WATCHLIST FOR NAISMITH, LUTE OLSEN, JERRY WEST AWARDS
- Junior guard E.C. Matthews has been recognized on the watchlists of three major national awards.
- On Nov. 9, Matthews was listed among 50 players on the watchlist for the Naismith Men's College Player of the Year award.
- He is also on the watchlist for the Lute Olson Award - presented to the nation's top player who has played at least two seasons.
- For the third straight season, Matthews was named to the Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Award watch list.
A GRAND PLAN: MARTIN NINE POINTS AWAY FROM JOINING 1,000 POINT CLUB
- Hassan Martin is nine points away from becoming the 53rd player in Rhode Island history to reach the 1,000 career point mark.
- Jared Terrell (827) also has the 1,000 point mark on his radar this season.
- In the season opener on Nov. 11, E.C. Matthews earned the 1,000-point career milestone at home vs. Dartmouth on Nov. 11.
- The last Rhody player to reach the 1,000 point mark was Xavier Munford in 2014. He achieved the milestone in just 59 games.
- Rhode Island has never had more than two players reach the 1,000-point mark in the same season.