How It Happened
Rhode Island held Belmont to 5-of-27 shooting, while dominating in the paint in an 82-73 victory on Friday night.
Hassan Martin poured in a career-high 31 points (14-20 FG) and Jarvis Garrett added a season-high 23 points (8-11 FG; 3-5 3FG) in the win.
The Bruins - the Ohio Valley Conference favorites - kept the game close throughout the first 13-plus minutes of the first half. Rhody led by three - 26-23 - with 6:41 left before starting a 10-3 run. A traditional three-point play by Jared Terrell with 3:41 to go in the half made it 37-26. Rhody took its largest lead of the half - 15 points - with 11 ticks left, after a Garrett layup made it 46-31 at the break.
Rhody's 7-3 push to start the second half - capped by two Martin free throws - gave the Rams their largest lead of the game at 53-33 with 16:33 to go in regulation. But a 19-5 Belmont run over the next 6:30 cut the deficit to six - at 58-52 - with 12:03 left. URI outscored Belmont, 20-10, over the next 10 minutes and led 78-62 after a Kuran Iverson jumper in the lane made it 78-62 with 2:35 to play.
The Bruins chipped away late but got no closer than seven points.
Inside the Box Score
- Hassan Martin had his most dominant offensive game of his career, with a career-high 31 points. The 6-7 senior was 14-for-20 from the floor and 3-of-4 from the charity stripe. He also grabbed five boards, blocked three shots, and notched two steals in 34 minutes.
- Jarvis Garrett had his best shooting night of the 2016-17 season, connecting on 8-of-11 field goal attempts - including 3-of-4 from the perimeter. He added four assists, four rebounds, and a steal in 33 minutes.
- Kuran Iverson added 13 points (5-8 FG), eight rebounds, two assists, a blocked shot, and a steal in an active 28 minutes.
- For the game, URI connected on 55.4% of their shot attempts for the game. It marks the third time that the Rams shot better than 50.0% in a game this season.
- Rhody's defense keyed on Belmont's outside shooting. One of the top 3-point shooting teams in the nation, the Bruins connected on just 5-of-27 shots from the perimeter. Entering the game, Belmont averaged 10.7 3FG made per game.
- Belmont outrebounded the Rams, 37-31, including a 15-6 edge on the offensive glass.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
30/20 - With Martin going for 31 points and Garrett adding 23, it marked the first time since Feb. 22, 2014 that two Rhody players scored 30 and 20 in a single game. Xavier Munford (32) and E.C. Matthews (24) last achieved the feat for Rhode Island in a win at St. Bonaventure.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
50 - Rhode Island scored 50 of its 82 points in the paint tonight - tying the season-high for points in the paint. The Rams also had 50 post points in the season opener vs. Dartmouth.
Rhody hits the road for its first true road contest of the season on Tuesday, Nov. 29 at Valparaiso. The Rams and the Crusaders tip off at 8 p.m. ET (7 p.m. local CT).
The Rhody Sports Network will also carry this - and every game - live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull.