Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: vs. Belmont
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
RHODE ISLAND VS. BELMONT - ALL-TIME SERIES
- Tonight's game is the first all-time meeting between Rhode Island and Belmont.
RHODE ISLAND VS. THE OHIO VALLEY CONFERENCE
- URI has compiled an 1-2 record, all-time, versus OVC opponents.
- All three games came against Murray State - most notably a 97-74 victory over the Racers in the opening round of the 1998 NCAA Tournament on March 13, 1998.
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 148-75 all-time record in the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- The Rams are 75-25 in the regular season and 84-26 overall in non-conference games played at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- URI has won 15 of its last 17 and 24 of its last 28 home non-conference games. In A-10 play, URI is 65-49 all-time at the Ryan Center.
- Last season marked the 11th time in venue history that the Rams won 10 or more home games in a single season.
- Rhode Island's inaugural victory in the building was a 73-71 OT affair vs. USC (Nov. 26, 2002).
RHODE ISLAND - ALL-TIME RECORD AS A RANKED TEAM
- Rhode Island has posted an all-time record of 22-10 when ranked on the Associated Press top 25 poll.
- The Rams were ranked for 10 total weeks during the 1997-98 season, compiling a 12-5 mark.
- URI was ranked for two weeks in 1998-99 and posted a 2-2 record.
- In 2007-08, Rhody went 4-2 while ranked on the AP poll for four consecutive weeks in late December-early January.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Rhode Island is one of 21 teams to rank among the top 42 in offensive and defensive efficiency, according to KenPom.com.
- The Rams have registered a 1.35:1 assist/turnover ratio (73 assists/54 turnovers) - good for 2nd in the A-10 and 54th nationally.
- Jarvis Garrett needs 32 more assists to crack URI's top 10 career assists list. At his current pace (4.6 assists per game), he'll reach #10 by the William & Mary game on Dec. 22.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - NOVEMBER 25
- Rhode Island is 9-5 all-time in games played on the November 25 calendar date.
- One notable Nov. 25 game - a double OT win at Auburn in 2012 was the first for head coach Dan Hurley at Rhode Island.
- Nov. 25 marks the tri-celebration of National Parfait Day, National Day of Listening, and National Native American Heritage Day.
- On this date in 1783: the British evacuated New York - their final military post in the U.S. - following the Revolutionary War.
- Also on this date in 1963, President John Fitzgerald Kennedy laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery.
- Notable Nov. 25 birthdays: - industrialist Andrew Carnegie, Hall of Famer Joe DiMaggio, singer Percy Sledge, and engineer Karl Benz.
THE DUKE GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- After committing six turnovers in the first 4:00 of play, URI registered four turnovers over the next 36:00 vs. the Blue Devils.
- Hassan Martin's seven blocks were the most by a Duke opponent since the 2007-08 season. UNC's Danny Green registered seven swats vs. the Blue Devils on March 8, 2008.
- Rhody was outscored in the paint for the first time this season. Duke had 38 points in the paint to URI's 36.
- The 10-point margin of victory was five points higher than the combined margins of victory in the previous three meetings (5 points).
A GRAND PLAN: MARTIN 40 POINTS AWAY FROM JOINING 1,000 POINT CLUB
- Hassan Martin is 40 points away from becoming the 53rd player in Rhode Island history to reach the 1,000 career point mark.
- Jared Terrell (821) also has the 1,000 point mark on his radar this season.
- In the season opener on Nov. 11, E.C. Matthews earned the 1,000-point career milestone at home vs. Dartmouth.
- Matthews drained a trey 2:52 into the first half, making him the 52nd player in URI history to score 1,000 points (66 games).
- The last Rhody player to reach the 1,000 point mark was Xavier Munford in 2014. He achieved the milestone in just 59 games.
- Rhode Island has never had more than two players reach the 1,000-point mark in the same season.
FIRST FIVE GAMES OF 2016-17 PROVING MORE EFFICIENT FOR TERRELL
- Through five games this season, Jared Terrell is connecting at a much higher rate from the floor vs. the 2015-16 season.
- Last year, Terrell averaged 10.2 ppg, shooting 34.0% (18-53) from the floor and 25.0% from 3FG (5-20) through the first five games.
- This season, the 6-3 guard is averaging 16.0 ppg., 49.1% (27-55) from the floor and 47.4% (9-19) from beyond the arc.
MATTHEWS ON THE WATCHLIST FOR NAISMITH, LUTE OLSEN, JERRY WEST AWARDS
- Junior guard E.C. Matthews has been recognized on the watchlists of three major national awards.
- On Nov. 9, Matthews was listed among 50 players on the watchlist for the Naismith Men's College Player of the Year award.
- He is also on the watchlist for the Lute Olson Award - presented to the nation's top player who has played at least two seasons.
- For the third straight season, Matthews was named to the Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Award watch list.
RHODY RECORD BOOK RESET
47. E.C. Matthews 1,086 points; needs 24 more points to pass Charlie Lee (1960-63, 1,101 points)
NR Hassan Martin 940 points; needs 60 more points to become the 53rd Ram to score 1,000 career points
NR Hassan Martin 618 rebounds; needs 98 more rebounds to crack URI's career top 10 list
NR Jarvis Garrett 262 assists; needs 32 more to crack URI's career top 10 list
1. Hassan Martin 58.1%; is currently Rhody's career FG% leader
2. Hassan Martin 272 blocks; needs 56 more blocks to become URI's all-time blocks leader
NR E.C. Matthews 125 3-pointers made; needs 17 more made 3FG to crack URI's top 10 career list