Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: vs. #1/1 Duke
TV: Dave O'Brien, Dick Vitale, Jeff Goodman
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM) - Steve McDonald, Don Kaull
RHODE ISLAND VS. DUKE - ALL-TIME SERIES
- Rhode Island is 0-3 all-time versus Duke.
- This afternoon marks the second non-conference matchup vs. the Blue Devils.
- The last meeting was a back-and-forth affair, with Duke pulling away late, 82-79 on Nov. 16, 2008. Jimmy Baron hit seven 3FG and Delroy James had 21 points in the upset bid.
- URI and Duke have met twice in the NCAA Tournament, with both games decided by a single point.
- During the 1977-78 season, head coach Jack Kraft and his squad took #7 Duke to the wire in the first round of the Big Dance, falling 63-62 in Charlotte on March 12, 1978.
- In the Sweet 16 round of the 1988 NCAA Tournament, the #5 ranked Blue Devils ended the storybook run of Tom Garrick and Carlton "Silk" Owens, 73-72, at the Meadowlands in E. Rutherford, N.J. (March 24, 1988).
RHODE ISLAND VS. THE ACC
- URI has compiled an 9-21 record, all-time, versus ACC opponents.
- Rhody dropped its last ACC matchup, 64-61, vs. Georgia Tech on Nov. 30, 2014.
- The Rams' last victory over an ACC foe came on Jan. 2, 2012 in a 78-72 double overtime win at Boston College
- During the 2009-10 season, the Rams beat Boston College (80-69; Dec. 13, 2009) and Virginia Tech (79-72; March 24, 2010) before falling to North Carolina, 68-67, in overtime in the semifinals of the NIT on March 30.
RHODE ISLAND IN IN-SEASON TOURNAMENTS/MULTI-TEAM EVENTS
- This afternoon's matchup is the third of four games in the 2016 Hall of Fame Tipoff Tournament.
- Last time out, Rhody erased a 12-point first-half margin and an 11-point second half deficit to down #24/25 Cincinnati, 76-71.
- URI opened tournament play with home wins over Marist (107-65) and Brown (79-72) on Nov. 14 and 16, respectively.
- Dating back to the 1949-50 season, Rhode Island is 72-74 all-time in in-season tournaments.
- Rhody went 3-1 in Cancun Challenge play last year - with wins over Cleveland State, Rider and TCU, while losing to #2/2 Maryland.
RHODE ISLAND VS. #1
- URI his 0-6 all-time versus No. 1 ranked teams.
- Rhody dropped its last matchup vs. #1 Saint Joseph's, 57-55, on Feb. 28, 2004.
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS RANKED OPPONENTS
- Rhode Island is 15-96 all-time versus ranked opponents
- The Rams snapped a 22-game slide against ranked teams on Nov. 22, 2014 in a 66-62 OT win over #21/21 Nebraska.
- Prior to that, URI's last victory over a ranked opponent was on Dec. 2, 1998 vs. #25 Utah (70-63) in the Great Eight Tournament.
RHODE ISLAND - ALL-TIME RECORD AS A RANKED TEAM
- Rhode Island has posted an all-time record of 22-9 when ranked on the Associated Press top 25 poll.
- The Rams were ranked for 10 total weeks during the 1997-98 season, compiling a 12-5 mark.
- URI was ranked for two weeks in 1998-99 and posted a 2-2 record.
- In 2007-08, Rhody went 4-2 while ranked on the AP poll for four consecutive weeks in late December-early January.
THE CINCINNATI GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- After starting 0-for-9 from the perimeter, Rhode Island knocked down 8-of-11 to close the game.
- Kuran Iverson was the second Ram to post a double-double this season (15 points/10 rebounds.
- The Rhody bench outscored Cincy's reserves, 15-4. Cyril Langevine added a season-best seven points.
- URI is 3-3 in its last six games vs. ranked opponents, dating back to the Nov. 22, 2014 game vs. #22/22 Nebraska win.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - NOVEMBER 20
- Rhode Island is 2-3 all-time in games played on the November 20 calendar date.
- The two wins came in tournament play - 2008 at Monmouth (Philly Hoop Group Classic); 2010 at Toledo (Coaches vs. Cancer).
- Nov. 20 marks the celebration of National Peanut Butter Fudge Day and National Absurdity Day.
- On this date in 1928: the Boston Garden opens, hosting a hockey match between Boston & Montreal (bad guys won, 1-0).
- Also on this date in 1962, the U.S. ends its blockade of Cuba as part of the detente of the Cuban Missile Crisis.
- Notable Nov. 20 birthdays: - Vice President Joe Biden, former attorney general Robert F. Kennedy, and game show host Richard Dawson.
NOW TRENDING: JARED TERRELL
- Since Jared Terrell's freshman year during the 2014-15 season - the Rams are 14-5 when he scores 15 or more points.
- The Rams are 33-11 when the Weymouth, Mass. native reaches double figures in the scoring column.
- Last time out against Brown, Terrell led URI with a season-high 18 points (7-11 FG).
- Last season, Terrell led URI in scoring at 13.5 points per game - becoming the second straight sophomore to lead the squad in scoring.