Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: vs. #24/25 Cincinnati
TV: ESPN3 - Bob Picozzi, Malcolm Huckaby, Jeff Goodman
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM) - Steve McDonald, Don Kaull
RHODE ISLAND VS. CINCINNATI - ALL-TIME SERIES
- Rhode Island is 0-2 all-time versus Cincinnati.
- The Rams and Bearcats played a home/home series in 1997-98 and 1998-99.
- On Jan. 25, 1998, Cincinnati earned an 88-82 victory over the No. 22 ranked Rams at the Shoemaker Center.
- Cuttino Mobley led Rhody with 26 points, while Ruben Patterson had 27 points and 10 boards for the Bearcats.
- The following season, the No. 17 ranked Bearcats and No. 25 Rams faced off at the Providence Civic Center on Nov. 19, 1998 - 18 years ago to the day.
- UC's Kenyon Martin posted a double-double (16 points, 10 rebounds) as Rhody shot just 32.8% from the floor. Tavorris Bell led the Rams with 17 points.
- Rhode Island has been nationally ranked in each of the three all-time meetings vs. Cincinnati.
RHODE ISLAND VS. THE AMERICAN
- Rhody is 1-1 against opponents from the American Athletic Conference.
- Last year, the Rams earned a 67-57 win vs. Houston on Dec. 8, 2015.
- The two teams will conclude their home/home series on Dec. 10 in Houston.
- The Rams are 100-172 against teams which now constitute the American. Two of URI's most common opponents are now in the AAC.
- Connecticut (66-79) is URI's second-most common opponent from their days in the Yankee Conference, while Temple (15-57) is Rhody's eighth-most common foe and most recently a member of the A-10.
RHODE ISLAND IN IN-SEASON TOURNAMENTS/MULTI-TEAM EVENTS
- This afternoon's matchup is the third of four games in the 2016 Hall of Fame Tipoff Tournament.
- URI opened tournament play with home wins over Marist (107-65) and Brown (79-72) on Nov. 14 and 16, respectively.
- Rhody will face either Penn State or #1 Duke on Saturday, Nov. 20.
- Dating back to the 1949-50 season, Rhode Island is 71-74 all-time in in-season tournaments.
- Rhody went 3-1 in Cancun Challenge play last year - with wins over Cleveland State, Rider and TCU, while losing to #2/2 Maryland.
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS RANKED OPPONENTS
- Rhode Island is 14-96 all-time versus ranked opponents
- The Rams snapped a 22-game slide against ranked teams on Nov. 22, 2014 in a 66-62 OT win over #21/21 Nebraska.
- Prior to that, URI's last victory over a ranked opponent was on Dec. 2, 1998 vs. #25 Utah (70-63) in the Great Eight Tournament.
- Rhody has faced four nationally ranked opponents last season - #2/2 Maryland (Nov. 25), #23/24 Providence (Dec. 5), #19/17 Dayton (Feb. 12), and #rv/22 Dayton (Feb. 27).
- Last year, URI split its regular season series with a ranked Dayton team, with the visiting team winning in each of the two meetings.
RHODE ISLAND - ALL-TIME RECORD AS A RANKED TEAM
- Rhode Island has posted an all-time record of 21-9 when ranked on the Associated Press top 25 poll.
- The Rams were ranked for 10 total weeks during the 1997-98 season, compiling a 12-5 mark.
- URI was ranked for two weeks in 1998-99 and posted a 2-2 record.
- In 2007-08, Rhody went 4-2 while ranked on the AP poll for four consecutive weeks in late December-early January.
THE BROWN GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- Rhode Island earned its fifth straight win vs. Brown. The Rams have won 14 of their last 15 meetings with the Bears.
- Hassan Martin posted his second game this season - and 11th career performance - with at least six blocked shots.
- No Rhody player attempted more than 11 shots in the game. Jared Terrell was 7-of-11, leading the squad with 18 points.
- The announced attendance for the game was 5,630 - which included over 2,000 students.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Hassan Martin leads the nation in total blocks (15) and is seventh in blocked shots per game (5.0 bpg).
- The Rams have shot 50.0% or better from the floor in five of the six halves tof play his year.
- Graduate manager Eric Youncofski's older brother Greg serves as the video coordinator for Cincinnati.
- Head coach Dan Hurley and Cincinnati assistant coach Darren Savino were teammates on the 1989 St. Anthony H.S. team that ranked first on the USA Today Super 25 poll.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - NOVEMBER 19
- Rhode Island is 5-3 all-time in games played on the November 19 calendar date.
- The three losses were to nationally ranked opponents - #11 Connecticut (1997), #17 Cincinnati (1998), and #5 Arizona (2013)
- URI is 3-1 in games played on Nov. 19 that are part of an in-season tournament/MTE: Centenary (2006/Top of the World Classic); FAU (2007/Glenn Wilkes Classic); College of Charleston (2010/Coaches vs. Cancer); Arizona (2013/Preseason NIT).
- Nov. 19 marks the tri-celebration of National Carbonated Beverage w/Caffeine Day, National Monopoly Day, and National Adoption Day.
- On this date in 1863: President Abraham Lincoln delivers the Gettysburg Address.
- Also on this date in 1975, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" was released in U.S. theatres.
- Notable Nov. 19 birthdays: designer Calvin Klein, choreographer Savion Glover, President James Garfield, actress Jodie Foster, and former U.N. ambassador Jeane Kirkpatrick.
MATTHEWS JOINS RHODE ISLAND'S 1,000 POINT CLUB
- With his 3-pointer in the season opener vs. Dartmouth, junior guard E.C. Matthews tallied his 1,000th career point.
- Matthews drained a trey 2:52 into the first half, making him the 52nd player in URI history to score 1,000 points.
- The 6-5 guard scored his 1,000th point in his 66th games in a Rhode Island uniform.
- The last Rhody player to reach the 1,000 point mark was Xavier Munford in 2014. He achieved the milestone in just 59 games.
MARTIN is A-10'S CAREER ACTIVE LEADER IN DOUBLE-DOUBLES
- Hassan Martin has opened the 2016-17 season with consecutive double-doubles, bringing his career total to 16.
- On Nov. 14 vs. Marist, Martin scored 15 points and pulled down 10 rebounds.
- In the season opener vs. Dartmouth, the senior forward had 12 points and 10 rebounds.
- He has 15 double-doubles in points and rebounds and one in points and blocks (14 points/10 blocks vs. La Salle on Jan. 22, 2015.
MARTIN RANKS AMONG ACTIVE NCAA DIVISION I LEADERS IN BLOCKS
- Hassan Martin – the 2016-17 A-10 Defensive Player of the Year – ranks second among active Division I players in career blocks (263).
- He needs 66 blocks to become URI's all-time career leader, passing Kenny Green (328 blocks, 1985-90).
- In 2015-16, the 6-7 forward led the A-10 in blocks for the third consecutive year, averaging 2.5 swats per game.
- Martin finished the 2015-16 campaign ranked 18th in blocks per game and 41st in total blocks (65) nationally.
- Additionally, he needs 27 more blocks to pass St. Bonaventure's Caswell Cyrus (289) to crack the A-10's top 10 blocked shots list.
- His career 2.79 blocks per game average ranks third among all active Division I players.
- Stanford Robinson tallied a career-high four steals in 19 minutes of play in the season opener against Dartmouth.
- Robinson appeared in his first game for Rhode Island since transferring from Indiana and added seven points and four assists.
- The 6-4 junior said during the preseason that his goal would be to become one the best defensive players in the Atlantic 10.
- Rhode Island notched 12 steals vs. the Big Green - the most in a single game since Jan. 31, 2015 when URI had 12 steals vs. GW.
MATTHEWS ON THE WATCHLIST FOR NAISMITH, LUTE OLSEN, JERRY WEST AWARDS
- Junior guard E.C. Matthews has been recognized on the watchlists of three major national awards.
- On Nov. 9, Matthews was listed among 50 players on the watchlist for the Naismith Men's College Player of the Year award.
- He is also on the watchlist for the Lute Olson Award - presented to the nation's top player who has played at least two seasons.
- For the third straight season, Matthews was named to the 2017 Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Award watch list.
NOW TRENDING: JARED TERRELL
- Since Jared Terrell's freshman year during the 2014-15 season - the Rams are 14-5 when he scores 15 or more points.
- The Rams are 32-11 when the Weymouth, Mass. native reaches double figures in the scoring column.
- Last time out against Brown, Terrell led URI with a season-high 18 points (7-11 FG).
- Last season, Terrell led URI in scoring at 13.5 points per game - becoming the second straight sophomore to lead the squad in scoring.