GAME DAY CENTRAL:
TIPOFF: 6:30 p.m.
TV: NBC Sports Network - Terry Gannon, Dalen Cuff, David Kaplan
AUDIO: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM) - Steve McDonald, Don Kaull
INTERNET: iHeartRadio.com (audio)
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS MASSACHUSETTS
- Rhode Island and long-time rival Massachusetts meet for the 148th time tonight.
- The Minutemen are Rhode Island's second most-common opponent.
- UMass is 87-60 all-time vs. URI, which dates back to the 1907-08 season.
- The teams split their regular season series, as the home team won each meeting.
- UMass took a 61-56 overtime decision at the Mullins Center on Feb. 2.
- The Rams won, 68-50, at the Thomas M. Ryan Center on March 3.
- Rhody is 2-7 all-time against UMass in Atlantic 10 Championship play.
- The Minutemen won the last A-10 Tourney matchup - 65-61 - on March 13, 2014.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CHAMPIONSHIP
- In 54 games all-time in the Atlantic 10 Championship, the Rams are 22-32.
- Rhode Island enters this year's conference tournament with the #7 seed.
- Rhody is 1-2 all-time in A-10 Championship games at the Barclays Center.
- Last year, URI was the #3 seed and fell, 56-52, in the semifinals to #2 Dayton.
- Rhode Island 's has advanced to the semifinals of the A-10 Tourney 12 times (4-8 in those games) and the title game on four occasions (1-3).
- In 1999, Rhode Island won its only Atlantic 10 title, after Lamar Odom hit a 35-foot jumper as time expired, beating Temple, 62-59.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE - REGULAR SEASON
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhody has posted a 262-320 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season play.
- This year, the Rams finished with a 9-9 record and the #7 seed in the 2016 Atlantic 10 Championship.
- Last season, the Rams posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place overall and earning the #3 seed in the A-10 Tourney.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
SHAOLIN SWAT: HASSAN MARTIN NAMED ATLANTIC 10 DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR
- Hassan Martin was named the 2015-16 Atlantic 10 Defensive Player of the Year on March 8.
- The Staten Island native was also named to the league's five-player All-Defensive team for the second consecutive season.
- Martin becomes the first Rhode Island to win the A-10's top defensive player honors since the award's inception in 1996-97.
- Over the past three year, Martin has been the most prodigious shot blocker in the A-10 and one of the nation's top rim protectors.
- For the third consecutive season, the 6-7 forward led the A-10 in blocks. His 2.5 blocks per game average also ranks 18th nationally.
- Martin finished the 2015-16 season with 65 blocks (26 games) - the sixth-highest single-season total in program history.
- Earlier this season, Martin moved into the #2 spot on Rhode Island's all-time blocked shots list, and now has 248 career blocks.
- In 2013-14, Martin set a new URI freshman record with 80 total blocks - the fifth-best single-season mark in URI history.
- As a sophomore in 2014-15, Martin became just the second Rhode Island player to tally 100 or more blocks in a season, with 103.
- His 3.1 blocks/game average ranked him as the country's sixth-best shot blocker and his 103 total blocks was the fourth-best.
- On Jan. 22, 2015, Martin set a new URI single-game record, swatting 10 shots vs. La Salle.
- Martin needs 41 more blocks to crack the A-10's all-time top 10 list and 78 more to pass Green (324) as URI's all-time blocks leader.
JARED TERRELL & JARVIS GARRETT NAMED TO USBWA ALL-DISTRICT I TEAM
- Jared Terrell and Jarvis Garrett have been named to the United States Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) All-District I team.
- Terrell led the Rams in scoring through the regular season, averaging 13.6 points per game - good for 23rd in the Atlantic 10.
- The 6-3 guard has played in all 31 games so far in 2015-16, scoring in double-digits on 25 occasions.
- On Jan. 27, the 6-3 guard poured in a career-high 25 points (10-18 FG) in a home win over Fordham.
- Over the final 12 games of the season, Terrell averaged close to 18.0 points per game.
- Garrett has been one of the best point guards in the A-10, ranking 25th in the scoring (12.7 ppg) and third in 3FG% (44-103, 42.7%).
- So far this season, Garrett has tallied a total of 142 assists - which ranks ninth on URI's single-season record book.
- His 4.7 assists per game rank him fifth overall in the league and his assist/turnover ratio of 1.97:1 is ninth-best in the conference.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - MARCH 10
- Rhode Island is 2-3 all-time - 0-1 in the regular season and 2-2 in Atlantic 10 Championship games - played on March 10.
- The last time Rhody played on March 10, URI fell to George Washington, 78-69, in the 2006 A-10 Championship game in Atlantic City.
- The Rams beat Duquesne, 75-73, in 2003 in Kingston and downed La Salle, 81-69, in 2004 in Dayton in A-10 Tourney play.
- Rhody fell, 68-63, to #1 ranked Temple in the 1988 Atlantic 10 title game in Morgantown, W.Va.
- March 10 also marks the tri-celebration of National Pack Your Lunch, National Blueberry Popover, and National Mario Days.
- Notable March 10 birthdays: actors Chuck Norris and Jon Hamm, disgraced FIFA exec Sepp Blatter, and singer Carrie Underwood.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- The last time a team finished in the top seven in the Atlantic 10 and did not place a player on one of the three All-Atlantic 10 postseason teams and the All-Rookie team was 2002-03, when Richmond finished as the #3 seed in the A-10 West (#6 seed overall).
- Rhody's win over Dayton (RPI - 17) on Feb. 27 was the biggest RPI victory since the 1998 NCAA Tourney win over Kansas (RPI - 1).
- With the win vs. UMass on March 3, Rhode Island registered 13 home victories for just the fourth time in program history.
- It also happened in 2014-15 (14), 2009-10 (15), and 1977-78 (13 - 9 in Keaney; 4 in the Providence Civic Center).
- Dan Hurley is the only coach in Rhode Island history to have two seasons with at least 13 home wins.
- It also marks the first time in program history that the Rams have won 13 or more home games in consecutive seasons.
FOUR @RHODYMBB STUDENT-ATHLETES NAMED TO UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND DEAN'S LIST
- Four Rhody men's basketball student-athletes were honored at the March 3 game vs. UMass as part of URI Athletics' Deans List Night.
- Hassan Martin, Nicola Akele, Christion Thompson, and Rory Temkin were honored along with a total of 177 URI student-athletes.
- To qualify for the Dean's List, a full-time student must complete 12 or more credits and achieve a 3.30 GPA in a semester.
- Since returning to the Rams' lineup on Feb. 6 with his protective mask, Jarvis Garrett has continued to shine in Atlantic 10 play.
- Over the nine-game span, Garrett is averaging 13.0 ppg, 5.8 assists, and 1.6 steals while shooting 45.2% (14-31) from 3FG.
- Garrett's pre-injury A-10 averages: 15.3 ppg, 4.3 assists, 59.4% 3FG (19-32), and 0.9 steals.
- The Milwaukee native poured in a career-best 26 points in his return at La Salle on Feb. 6 after suffering a broken jaw on Jan. 30.
CLIMBING THE CHARTS - RHODY RECORD BOOK REVISIONS
- Jarvis Garrett (142 total assists) is tied with Carlos Easterling (1989-90) for the #9 spot on Rhody's single-season assists list.
- Four McGlynn's 74 3-pointers also moved him into the #10 spot on the URI single-season 3FG made list.
- McGlynn's 87.2% free throw proficiency mark would be the fourth-best in Rhode Island single-season history.
- Hassan Martin's 65 blocked shots this season is the sixth-best single-season total at Rhode Island.
- Martin also holds the #2 (103 blocks in 2014-15) and #5 (85 in 2013-14) spots on the single-season blocks list.
- The junior finished just five FGM shy of qualifying for URI's single-season FG% list. His 57.1% mark would rank third all-time.
- For his career, Martin's 57.3% field goal percentage ranks atop the URI career FG% list.
KEEP IT 100
- Dan Hurley registered his 100th career victory as a collegiate coach on March 3 vs. UMass. His overall career is 100-86.
- In his fourth year at Rhode Island, Hurley has won 62 games at the helm of the Rams - including 40 over the past two seasons.
- In his two seasons at Wagner, Hurley compiled a 38-22 record, including a program-record 25 wins during the 2011-12 season.
- Prior to Wagner, Hurley was the highly successful head coach at St. Benedict's Prep, posting a 223-21 mark in nine years.
ANDRE HAS BEEN BERRY, BERRY GOOD
- Over his last three games, Andre Berry has emerged as a highly productive reserve for Rhode Island.
- The sophomore forward is averaging 10.3 points and 4.7 rebounds while shooting 86.7% (13-15 FG).
- Last time out, Berry added six points and five rebounds in 16 minutes of play at Fordham.
- He posted a season-best 15 points on Feb. 27 at Dayton, connecting on all seven of his field goal attempts.
- On March 3, Berry tallied 10 points and six rebounds in 13 minutes of play vs. UMass.
- Berry has scored 31 points in 46 minutes of action over the last three contests.
- Through the first 28 games of the year, Berry had posted a total of 19 points in 63 minutes played.