How It Happened
A Fordham traditional three-point play with 3.3 seconds left proved to be the difference in a 64-61 loss at Rose Hill Gym on Saturday. Rhode Island finishes up the regular season with a 17-14 mark and a 9-9 record in Atlantic 10 play.
Four McGlynn tied the game at 61-61 with 20 seconds to go on a deep 3-pointer at the top of the key
URI started slow offensively, tallying its first field goal of the game close to five minutes in and trailing 9-3 at the 14:45 mark. Rhody scored seven unanswered and took its first lead of the game on an Earl Watson jam, making it 10-9 with 13:22 left in the half.
The two teams traded baskets for the next five minutes of play before Fordham took a six point advantage - at 27-21 - with 4:18 left. URI closed the half on an 11-2 run, capped by a Jarvis Garrett layup with 19 seconds to go, giving it a 32-29 lead at the half. There were five lead changes and three ties in the half.
In the second half, the Kingston Rams opened with a 13-2 run, capped by a 3-pointer from Iverson. The junior forward scored nine of Rhody's 13 points during the run, as Rhode Island led 45-33 with 13:50 left in regulation.
Fordham countered with a 16-2 run over the next 4:15, taking a 49-47 lead with 9:35 left. The Bronx Rams extended their lead to six points - 57-51 - with 6:30 left. URI tacked on seven straight points and took its final lead of the afternoon - 58-57 - on a baseline jumper from Iverson with 2:39 to go. Fordham led 61-58 after two made FT with 1:04 left and on the next possession, McGlynn missed a 3-pointer with 40 seconds left. But Fordham would turn the ball over on its next possession, setting up McGlynn's game-tying trey.
Inside the Box Score
- Kuran Iverson and Four McGlynn each had 16 points for Rhode Island.
- Iverson scored 14 of his 16 in the second half, connecting on 7-of-11 field goals for the game. He added seven rebounds, an assist and a blocked shot in 30 minutes of play.
- McGlynn connected on 6-of-12 from the floor - including 4-of-9 from the perimeter. He added five assists and three rebounds in 39 minutes.
- Earl Watson added 10 points (4-4 FG) and six boards before fouling out in 23 minutes.
- The Rhody bench contributed 12 points, thanks to six from Andre Berry, four from Christian Thompson, and two from Nicola Akele. Thompson returned to the Ram lineup after missing three games (concussion).
- Jarvis Garrett dished out six assists in 31 minutes.
- Jared Terrell was held to one point - snapping a 12-game stretch in which he tallied double figures in the scoring column.
- Rhody shot 53.2% (25-47) from the floor. It was the first time in 12 games this season in which URI shot 50.0% or better and lost.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
64.5% - Rhode Island shot close to 65% from inside the arc. It made 20 of its 31 two-point FG attempts.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
7 and 10 - The game featured seven ties and 10 lead changes.
Rhode Island heads to Brooklyn for the 2016 Atlantic 10 Championship. The Rams enter as the #7 seed and will play on Thursday at 6:30 p.m. The game will air live nationally on NBC Sports Network.
The Rhody Sports Network will also carry this - and every game - live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull.