GAME DAY CENTRAL:
TV: CBS Sports Network - Brent Stover, Alaa Abdelnaby
AUDIO: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM) - Steve McDonald, Don Kaull
INTERNET: iHeartRadio.com (audio)
Fans are urged to arrive at the game early and be in their seats by 6:45 p.m.
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS MASSACHUSETTS
- Rhode Island and long-time rival Massachusetts meet for the 147th time tonight.
- The Minutemen are Rhode Island's second most-common opponent.
- UMass is 87-59 all-time vs. URI, which dates back to the 1907-08 season.
- This is the second of two regular season meetings between the two schools.
- Earlier this season, Rhody dropped a 61-56 overtime decision at UMass on Feb. 2.
- Rhode Island is 38-30 all-time versus Massachusetts in games played in Kingston.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 261-319 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last season, the Rams posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 144-75 all-time record in the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- In Atlantic 10 play, Rhody is 64-49 all-time at the Ryan Center.
- With the win over Fordham on Jan. 27, it marked the 11th time in venue history that the Rams won 10 or more home games in a single season.
- The Rams' first victory in the building was a 73-71 OT affair vs. USC (Nov. 26, 2002).
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - MARCH 3
- URI is 11-13 all-time and 4-5 in regular season A-10 games played on March 3. Rhody is also 1-1 in A-10 Tourney play on March 3.
- A notable March 3 contest came in 1999, as URI beat La Salle, 83-58, en route to winning the 1999 A-10 Championship.
- March 3 marks the celebrations of National Anthem, National Cold Cuts, and National "I Want You To Be Happy" Days.
- Notable March 3 birthdays: inventor Alexander Graham Bell, actress Jessica Biel, and U.S. Olympian Jackie Joyner-Kersee.
JARVIS GARRETT - ALL-ATLANTIC 10 AND LEADING CANDIDATE FOR MOST IMPROVED PLAYER AWARD
- Jarvis Garrett is one of the top guards - and a leading candidate for the Most Improved Player award - in the Atlantic 10.
- The sophomore is second on the Rams in scoring (13.2 ppg.) while leading in assists (4.5 apg), and 3FG% (43.4%) min. 20 3FGM.
- Those totals rank 24th, 6th, and 3rd, respectively, in the league.
- In A-10 games only, he ranks 20th, 5th, and 1st in the conference.
- The Milwaukee native has shown a marked improvement in his production since last year's freshman campaign (see box at right).
- Garrett has reached double figures in the scoring column in 23 of the 28 games he has played in this season.
- He needs seven more assists to crack URI's single-season top 10 assists list (135 - Marquis Jones, 2008-09).
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Today's Theme: #Winning
- Rhody's win over Dayton (RPI - 17) on Feb. 27 was the biggest RPI victory since the 1998 NCAA Tourney win over Kansas (RPI - 1).
- If URI can win its final two A-10 games, it would mark the first time since 1997-98 and 1998-99 that the Rams posted consecutive seasons with 10 or more conference wins.
- With a win tonight vs. UMass, Rhode Island would register 13 home victories for just the fourth time in program history. It also happened in 2014-15 (14), 2009-10 (15), and 1977-78 (13 - 9 in Keaney; 4 in the Providence Civic Center).
- Dan Hurley would be the only coach in Rhode Island history to have two seasons with at least 13 home wins and it would be the first time that the Rams have won 13 or more home gamesin consecutive seasons.
- Since returning to the Rams' lineup on Feb. 6 with his protective mask, Jarvis Garrett has continued to shine in Atlantic 10 play.
- Over the seven-game span, Garrett is averaging 15.1 ppg, and shooting 45.3% from the floor (39-86) and 48.1% (13-28) from 3FG.
- The sophomore point guard is also averaging 5.3 assists, 3.6 rebounds, and 1.7 steals per game since donning the mask.
- Garrett's pre-injury A-10 averages: 15.3 ppg, 50.0% FG (42-84), 59.4% 3FG (19-32), 3.4 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 0.9 steals.
- The Milwaukee native poured in a career-best 26 points in his return at La Salle on Feb. 6 after suffering a broken jaw on Jan. 30.
ANDRE WAS BERRY, BERRY GOOD AT DAYTON
- Andre Berry posted a season-best 15 points last time out at Dayton, connecting on all seven of his field goal attempts.
- The sophomore tallied nine of his 15 in the first half, playing seven minutes. He added four more points in six second half minutes.
- Entering the game, Berry had posted a total of 19 points in 63 minutes played.
THREE AND FOUR AND FIVE...
- Four McGlynn is 17-of-37 from 3-point land over his last five games - a 46.0% percentage clip.
- Last time out at Dayton, the graduate student made 4-of-7 treys en route to scoring 16 points vs. the Flyers.
- Against George Mason on Feb. 9, the graduate student made 6-of-11 long range shots en route to scoring a game-high 25 points.
- McGlynn has hit at least five 3FG in a game this season four times and has 11 career games with at least five triples.
- He leads the team with 68 3FG and needs one more make to crack the URI single-season 3FG list (69 - Cuttino Mobley, 1997-98).
...AND SIX AND 20
- Jared Terrell has posted six 20-point performances over the past 10 games, dating back to the Jan. 27 game vs. Fordham.
- Over the 10 game span, Terrell is averaging just under 20.0 points per game, while shooting close to 50.0% from the floor.
- He scored a career-high 25 points against Fordham on Jan. 27. Last time out at Dayton, he scored 18 points on just eight FGA.
- Terrell's scoring average has jumped, increasing by 3.1 points per game - from 10.9 to 14.0 points- in one calendar month.
WHERE RHODY RANKS - ATLANTIC 10 ONLY STATS
- In Atlantic 10 conference play, two Rhody players lead the league in respective statistical categories.
- Jarvis Garrett is the leader in 3FG percentage, making 54.2% of his attempts from beyond the arc (32-59).
- Hassan Martin is the A-10 leader in blocked shots in league play, averaging 2.4 blocks per game (34 blocks in 14 games).
- Four McGlynn sits atop the A-10 only free throw percentage list, connecting on 34-of-35 from the charity stripe (97.1%).
- As a team, Rhody leads the league in blocked shots (5.4 bpg) and is second in scoring defense (66.0 ppg).