GAME DAY CENTRAL:
TV: ESPN2 - Adam Amin, Craig Robinson
AUDIO: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM) - Steve McDonald, Don Kaull
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS DAYTON
- The Rams face Dayton for the 30th time overall in the history of the two programs.
- UD leads the all-time series, 16-13 which dates back to the 1939-40 season.
- Earlier this season (Feb. 12), the Flyers earned a 68-66 win at the Ryan Center.
- UD has won the four meetings, but URI had won seven straight prior to that.
- The last two meetings have been decided by a total of six points.
- URI is 4-8 vs. Dayton and is 5-10 all-time at UD Arena (2003, 2004 A-10 Tourney).
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 260-319 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last season, the Rams posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - FEBRUARY 27
- URI is 10-10 all-time and 1-7 in Atlantic 10 play in games played on February 27.
- A notable Feb. 27 contest came in 1945, with a 130-74 win over Yeshiva - a record that has stood 71 years as the highest single-game point total in school history.
- Feb. 27 marks the celebrations of National Strawberry and National Polar Bear Days.
- Notable February 27 birthdays: author John Steinbeck, poet Henry Wadworth Longfellow, and "Jersey Shore" star JWoww.
JARVIS GARRETT - ALL-ATLANTIC 10 AND LEADING CANDIDATE FOR MOST IMPROVED PLAYER AWARD
- Jarvis Garrett is one of the top guards - and a leading candidate for the Most Improved Player award - in the Atlantic 10.
- The sophomore is second on the Rams in scoring (13.3 ppg.) while leading in assists (4.4 apg), and 3FG% (42.5%) min. 20 3FGM.
- Those totals rank 25th, 6th, and 5th, respectively, in the league.
- In A-10 games only, he ranks 19th, 5th, and 1st in the conference.
- The Milwaukee native has shown a marked improvement in his production since last year's freshman campaign (see box at right).
- Garrett has reached double figures in the scoring column in 22 of the 27 games he has played in this season.
- Since returning to the Rams' lineup on Feb. 6 with his protective mask, Jarvis Garrett has continued to shine in Atlantic 10 play.
- Over the six-game span, Garrett is averaging 15.8 ppg, shooting 46.0% from the floor (35-76) and making 45.5% (10-22) from 3FG.
- The sophomore point guard is also averaging 5.0 assists, 3.3 rebounds, and 2.0 steals per game since donning the mask.
- Garrett's pre-injury A-10 averages: 15.3 ppg, 50.0% FG (42-84), 59.4% 3FG (19-32), 3.4 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 0.9 steals.
- The Milwaukee native poured in a career-best 26 points in his return at La Salle on Feb. 6 after suffering a broken jaw on Jan. 30.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Today's Theme: The Injury Bug - It Bites.
- Hassan Martin - a 2015-16 Preseason All-Atlantic 10 First Team selection - will miss the remainder of the season due to injury (stress fracture - right patella).
- Martin will be sidelined for the remainder of the regular season and the A-10 Championship.
- It is the second time that Martin - and the fourth time overall this season that a Rhody starter - has missed time due to injury.
- The Staten Island native suffered a grade 3 ankle sprain in the first half at ODU on Dec. 22 and missed the next two games.
- In the season opener, fellow Preseason A-10 First Teamer E.C. Matthews suffered a torn ACL and has missed 27 games so far this year.
- Kuran Iverson has missed four games; the Dec. 30 game at Brown due to an injured ankle and three games (Feb. 2-Feb. 9) after recovering from a concussion that occurred after a Flagrant Foul against Saint Joseph's on Jan. 30.
- Jarvis Garrett missed the game at UMass on Feb. 2 due to a broken jaw, also due to a Flagrant 1 vs. Saint Joseph's on Jan. 30.
- Additionally, reserve guard Christion Thompson (concussion protocol) has missed two games.
- Out of a potential 145 starting positions this season, Rhode Island starters have missed 30% of the season due to injury.
- Last year, URI had 165 starting positions and lost exactly one to injury - E.C. Matthews vs. St. Bona on Jan. 25, 2015.
THREE AND FOUR AND FIVE...
- Four McGlynn is 13-of-30 from 3-point land over his last five games - good for a 43.3% percentage.
- On Feb. 12, the graduate student made 5-of-9 treys en route to scoring 19 points vs. Dayton.
- Against George Mason on Feb. 9, the graduate student made 6-of-11 long range shots en route to scoring a game-high 25 points.
- McGlynn has hit at least five 3FG in a game this season four times and has 11 career games with at least five triples.
- He leads the Rams with 64 made trifectas and ranks ninth in the A-10 in 3-pointers made, averaging 2.3 3FG/g.
...AND SIX AND 20
- Jared Terrell has posted six 20-point performances over the past nine games, dating back to the Jan. 27 game vs. Fordham.
- Over the nine games, Terrell is averaging 20.0 points per game, while shooting close to 50.0% from the floor.
- He scored a career-high 25 points against Fordham on Jan. 27. Last time out vs. Duquesne, he scored 20 points on just 10 FGA.
- Terrell's scoring average has jumped, increasing by 3.0 points per game - from 10.9 to 13.9 points- in less than a month.
WHERE RHODY RANKS - ATLANTIC 10 ONLY STATS
- In Atlantic 10 conference play, two Rhody players lead the league in respective statistical categories.
- Jarvis Garrett is the leader in 3FG percentage, making 53.7% of his attempts from beyond the arc (29-54).
- Hassan Martin is the A-10 leader in blocked shots in league play, averaging 2.4 blocks per game (34 blocks in 14 games).
- Four McGlynn sits atop the A-10 only free throw percentage list, connecting on 30-of-31 from the charity stripe (96.8%).
- As a team, Rhody leads the league in blocked shots (5.4 bpg) and is second in scoring defense (66.0 ppg).
POSITIVE ASSIST/TURNOVER RATIO
- Through the first five games of the season, Rhody had posted 49 assists to 75 turnovers - a 0.65:1 assist/turnover ratio.
- Since then, the Rams have 283 assists to 248 turnovers, good for a 1.14:1 assist/turnover ratio.
- For the season, Rhody just under the positive side of its assist/turnover totals, with 332 assists and 324 TO (1.03:1).