GAME DAY CENTRAL:
TV: Cox Sports/OSN - Eric Frede, Abu Bakr
AUDIO: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM) - Steve McDonald, Don Kaull
On Saturday, the Rhode Island coaching staff will join coaches from around the country and will be wearing a blue puzzle piece pin on their suit jackets on behalf of Coaches Powering Forward for Autism benefiting Autism Speaks.
RHODE ISLAND VS. DUQUESNE - ALL-TIME SERIES
- Rhode Island leads the all-time series, 30-25, which began in the 1965-66 season.
- Last season, the Rams edged the Dukes, 61-60, on Jan. 10 in Pittsburgh.
- The Rams lead all-time series , 17-11, in games played in Kingston.
- The Dukes won in their last visit to the Ryan Center - 83-71 - on Feb. 15, 2014.
- Head coach Dan Hurley and Dukes' head coach Jim Ferry met on four occasions when the two coached at Wagner and LIU, respectively.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 259-318 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last season, the Rams posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 143-75 all-time record in the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- In Atlantic 10 play, Rhody is 63-49 all-time at the Ryan Center.
- With the win over Fordham on Jan. 27, it marked the 11th time in venue history that the Rams won 10 or more home games in a single season.
- The Rams' first victory in the building was a 73-71 OT affair vs. USC (Nov. 26, 2002).
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - FEBRUARY 20
- URI is 17-14 all-time and 4-8 in Atlantic 10 play in games played on February 20.
- The most notable February 20 win game came in 1993 - a 71-68 win over #21-ranked UMass at the Providence Civic Center.
- February 20 marks the dual celebration of National Cherry Pie and National Love Your Pet Days.
- Rhody and Duquesne previous met on the February 20 calendar date in 1986. The Dukes won, 72-56, in Pittsburgh.
- Notable February 20 birthdays: photographer Ansel Adams, actor Sidney Poitier, and Basketball Hall of Famer Charles Barkley.
- Jarvis Garrett is one of the top guards - and a leading candidate for the Most Improved Player award - in the Atlantic 10.
- The sophomore leads the Rams in scoring (13.3 ppg.), assists (4.3 apg), and 3FG% (44.2%) min. 20 3FGM.
- Those totals rank 25th, 7th, and 4th, respectively, in the A-10.
- The Milwaukee native has shown a marked improvement in his production since last year's freshman campaign (see box at right).
- He scored a career-high 26 points at La Salle on Feb. 6 returned to the Rams' lineup after suffering a fractured jaw on Jan. 30.
- Garrett has reached double figures in the scoring column in 20 of the 24 games he has played in this season.
THE MASKED MAN
- Since returning to the Rams' lineup on Feb. 6 with his protective mask, Jarvis Garrett has continued to shine over the four-game span.
- The Rams' point guard is averaging 17.8 points per game, shooting 50.0% from the floor (28-56) and making 53.3% (8-15) from 3FG.
- Garrett poured in a career-best 26 points in his return at La Salle on Feb. 6 after suffering a broken jaw on Jan. 30.
- He had 17 points (4-5 3FG) at home against George Mason and last time out at VCU, he added 15 points and seven assists.
FOUR AND FIVE (AND THREE)
- Four McGlynn is 11-of-20 from 3-point land over his last three games.
- On Feb. 12, the graduate student made 5-of-9 treys en route to scoring 19 points vs. Dayton.
- Against George Mason on Feb. 9, the graduate student made 6-of-11 long range shots en route to scoring a game-high 25 points.
- McGlynn has hit at least five 3FG in a game this season four times and has 11 career games with at least five triples.
- He leads the Rams with 62 made trifectas and ranks ninth in the A-10 in 3-pointers made, averaging 2.4 3FG/g.
FOUR AND 20 FOR JT
- Jared Terrell posted four straight games with 20 or more points, becoming the first Ram in seven seasons to do so.
- Terrell was the first URI player to score 20 or more points in four consecutive games since Jimmy Baron did so in the 2008-09 season.
- The 6-3 guard has reached the 20-point mark five times over the last seven games, including 22 points last time out at VCU.
- Over those seven games, Terrell is averaging 21.0 points per game, while shooting close to 50.0% from the floor.
- He scored a career-high 25 points against Fordham on Jan. 27. His scoring average has jumped from 10.9 to 13.7 points over the span.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Rhode Island has made a 3-pointer in 145 consecutive games, dating back to Nov. 27, 2011 vs. Cleveland State.
- During that span, Rhody has had eight games in which it made just one 3FG, including last time out at VCU (1-12).
- URI tallied 50 points in the paint at VCU on Feb. 16 - the most since registering 54 PITP vs. Delaware State on Dec. 13, 2014.
- Rhody's 36.5% 3-point field goal percentage mark would rank as the eighth-best single-season proficiency mark in URI history.
- The Rams' balanced scoring in 2015-16 has had five players averaging double figures much of the season.
- The last time that happened was 1990-91, when Eric Leslie (18.4), Andre Samuel (13.3), Jeff Kent (12.3), Mike Brown (11.2), and Carlos Cofield (10.6) each averaged double digits in the scoring column.
WHERE RHODY RANKS - ATLANTIC 10 ONLY STATS
- In Atlantic 10 conference play, three Rhody players lead the league in respective statistical categories.
- Four McGlynn tops the FT percentage list, making 96.3% of his attempts from the charity stripe (26-27).
- Jarvis Garrett is the leader in 3FG percentage, making 57.4% of his attempts from beyond the arc (27-47).
- Hassan Martin is the A-10 leader in blocked shots in league play, averaging 2.5 blocks per game (30 blocks in 12 games).
- As a team, Rhody leads the league in blocked shots (5.5 bpg), and is second in scoring defense (65.5 ppg) and 3FG defense (31.7%).
A LEANER TERRELL AIMS TO CONTINUE TRENDING
- In his Rhode Island career, on the 35 occasions in which Jared Terrell scored in double-figures, the team is 26-9.
- On the 15 occasions where Terrell has 15 or more points, Rhody has compiled a 10-5 record.
- As a 2014-15 A-10 All-Rookie team selection, he was named the CBSSports.com/National Freshman of the Week on Feb. 3, 2015.
- The Weymouth, Mass. native dropped from his playing weight of 225 as a freshman to 215 at the start of practice this year.
GARRETT CONNECTING FROM LONG-RANGE
- Through the first nine games of the season, Jarvis Garrett was shooting 5-for-28 from beyond the arc - a 17.9% clip from 3FG.
- Over his last 16 games, he has made 31-of-59 of his 3-point attempts - including 4-of-4 vs. Richmond and 4-of-5 vs. Mason.
- In Atlantic 10 play (12 games played), Garrett leads the league in 3FG%, connecting on 57.4% (27-47) from the outside.
- Garrett has registered seven games with at least three made 3-pointers this season.