GAME DAY CENTRAL:
TV: CBS Sports Network - Tom McCarthy, Alaa Abdelnaby, Evan Washburn
AUDIO: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM) - Steve McDonald, Don Kaull
INTERNET: iHeartRadio.com (audio)
RHODE ISLAND VS. VCU - ALL-TIME SERIES
- Rhode Island and VCU face off in the lone meeting during the regular season.
- This is the eighth all-time meeting and the fourth as members of the Atlantic 10.
- VCU leads the all-time series, 5-2, which began with a H/H series in 1994-95.
- Last year in Kingston, VCU won, 65-60, on Jan. 13, 2015 at the Ryan Center.
- VCU has won all three meetings with Rhode Island since joining the A-10.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 259-317 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last season, the Rams posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - FEBRUARY 16
- URI is 17-13 all-time and 4-5 in Atlantic 10 play in games played on February 16.
- The last February 16 game came in 2013 - a 67-62 win at Duquesne.
- February 16 marks the dual celebration of National Almond and National "Do a Favor for a Grouch" Days.
- Notable February 16 birthdays: former North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il, tennis Hall of Famer John McEnroe, and former U.S. Senator Sonny Bono.
JARVIS GARRETT - ALL-ATLANTIC 10 AND LEADING CANDIDATE FOR MOST IMPROVED PLAYER AWARD
- Jarvis Garrett is one of the top guards - and a leading candidate for the Most Improved Player award - in the Atlantic 10.
- The sophomore leads the Rams in scoring (13.3 ppg.), assists (4.3 apg), and 3FG% (44.2%) min. 20 3FGM.
- Those totals rank 24th, 7th, and 5th, respectively, in the A-10.
- The Milwaukee native has shown a marked improvement in his production since last year's freshman campaign.
- The box on the right shows Garrett improvements between the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons.
- He scored a career-high 26 points at La Salle on Feb. 6 returned to the Rams' lineup after suffering a fractured jaw on Jan. 30.
- Garrett has reached double figures in the scoring column in 20 of the 24 games he has played in this season.
FOUR & FIVE (& THREE)
- Four McGlynn is 11-of-18 from 3-point land over his last two games. He made 5-of-9 treys last time out, scoring 19 points vs. Dayton.
- Against George Mason on Feb. 9, the graduate student made 6-of-11 long range shots en route to scoring a game-high 25 points.
- McGlynn has hit at least five 3FG in a game this season four times and has 11 career games with at least five triples.
- He leads the Rams with 62 made trifectas and ranks eighth in the A-10 in 3-pointers made, averaging 2.5 3FG/g.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(s) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT (thanks to Fred Jeter providing the background for this story)
- Three of the four Division I teams nicknamed Rams are members of the Atlantic 10 conference and two of them play tonight.
- In 1946, Richmond Professional Institute (RPI) founded an intercollegiate men's basketball team: "The Green Devils."
- Because of an affiliation with the College of William & Mary in colonial Williamsburg, their colors were green & gold.
- In 1950, RPI hired its first full-time AD and head basketball and baseball coach - Rhode Island native and URI alum Ed Allen.
- Allen served as director of athletics from 1950-67, head basketball coach from 1950-68 and coach of the baseball team from 1950-75. His wife Edythe Johnson Allen, who served as an instructor of social work at RPI.
- When RPI split from William & Mary in 1963, it adopted a new mascot. Influenced by his URI roots, Allen called them the Rams.
- RPI also changed its colors from the W&M-inspired green & gold to blue & gray.
- In 1968, RPI and the Medical College of Virginia merged to form what is now known as VCU. The new university selected black and gold for its colors but kept the Rhody-inspired Ram as its mascot.
- Allen retired from VCU in 1985 and was one of the first inductees into the school's Athletic Hall of Fame.
WHERE RHODY RANKS - ATLANTIC 10 ONLY STATS
- In Atlantic 10 conference play, three Rhody players lead the league in respective statistical categories.
- Four McGlynn tops the FT percentage list, making 96.3% of his attempts from the charity stripe (26-27).
- Jarvis Garrett is the leader in 3FG percentage, making 58.7% of his attempts from beyond the arc (27-46).
- Hassan Martin is the A-10 leader in blocked shots in league play, averaging 2.55 blocks per game (28 blocks in 11 games).
- As a team, Rhody leads in 3FG percentage (39.5%) and blocked shots (5.6 bpg).
GARRETT CONNECTING FROM LONG-RANGE
- Through the first nine games of the season, Jarvis Garrett was shooting 5-for-28 from beyond the arc - a 17.9% clip from 3FG.
- Over his last 15 games, he has made 31-of-58 of his 3-point attempts - including 4-of-4 vs. Richmond and 4-of-5 vs. Mason.
- Garrett ranks second on the Rams in 3-pointers made (38 3FGM) and ranks 5th in the A-10 3FG%, connecting on 44.2%.
- In Atlantic 10 play (11 games played), Garrett leads the league in 3FG%, connecting on 58.7% (27-46) from the outside.
- Garrett has registered seven games with at least three made 3-pointers this season.
MARTIN PLAYING THE PERCENTAGES
- Hassan Martin ranks sixth in the Atlantic 10 in field goal percentage, connecting on 56.8% of his shots.
- The 6-7 forward connected on all seven FG attempts vs. La Salle on Jan. 16. In A-10 play, he boasts a 55.2% FG% - 10th-best.
- For his career, the junior is shooting 57.2% (332-576) - which ranks first all-time in the URI record book.
- The 57.2% shooting proficiency mark is 23rd-best among all active NCAA Division I student-athletes.