GAME DAY CENTRAL:
TV: American Sports Network - Dave Armstrong, Tim Scarborough
LOCAL CLEARANCES: MeTV (Rhode Island only); NESN Plus (New England)
Full Clearance List (pdf)
AUDIO: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM) - Steve McDonald, Don Kaull
INTERNET: iHeartRadio.com (audio)
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS MASSACHUSETTS
- Rhode Island and long-time rival Massachusetts meet for the 146th time tonight.
- The Minutemen are Rhode Island's second most-common opponent.
- UMass is 86-59 all-time vs. URI, which dates back to the 1907-08 season.
- This is the first of two regular season meetings between the two schools.
- The Rams close out its home regular season slate vs. UMass on March 3.
- Rhody is 21-51 all-time versus UMass in Amherst.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 257-315 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last season, the Rams posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Jared Terrell has scored 47 points over the last two games - the most by a Rhody player in consecutive games since Xavier Munford - 32 at St. Bona (Feb. 22, 2014); 16 at UMass (Feb. 26, 2014).
- Rhody has made a 3-pointer in 140 consecutive games, dating back to 2011-12.
- The average margin of victory in the last five meetings between URI and UMass is 6.4 points.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - FEBRUARY 2
- Rhode Island is 10-9 all-time - and 5-7 in Atlantic 10 play - in games played on February 2.
- URI has played UMass twice on the February 2 calendar date: 1985 (76-65 loss at UMass) and 2002 (70-59 win at home).
- February 2 is not only the celebration of Groundhog Day, but also National Heavenly Hash Ice Cream Day.
- Notable February 2 birthdays: singer Shakira, philanthropist Solomon Guggenheim, and novelist James Joyce.
JARVIS GARRETT - AMONG THE MOST IMPROVED PLAYERS IN THE ATLANTIC 10
- Jarvis Garrett is one of the top guards - and a leading candidate for the Most Improved Player award - in the Atlantic 10.
- The sophomore leads the Rams in scoring (12.6 ppg.), assists (4.3 apg), and 3FG% (41.7%) min. 20 3FGM.
- Those totals rank 24th, 7th, and 9th, respectively, in the Atlantic 10 statistical rankings.
- The Milwaukee native has shown a marked improvement in his production since last year's freshman campaign.
- The box on the right show's Garrett improvements between the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons.
MARTIN PLAYING THE PERCENTAGES
- Hassan Martin is fifth in the Atlantic 10 in field goal percentage, connecting on 59.2% of his shots.
- The 6-7 forward was 7-for-7 from the floor vs. La Salle on Jan. 16. In A-10 play, he boasts a 60.7% FG% - also fifth in the league.
- For his career, the junior is shooting 57.9% (318-549) - which ranks first all-time in the URI record book.
- The 57.9% shooting proficiency mark is 18th-best among all active NCAA Division I student-athletes.
POSITIVE ASSIST/TURNOVER RATIO
- Through the first five games of the season, Rhody had posted 49 assists to 75 turnovers - a 0.65:1 assist/turnover ratio.
- Since then, the Rams have 200 assists to 167 turnovers, good for a 1.20:1 assist/turnover ratio.
- For the season, Rhody is back on the positive side of its assist/turnover totals, with 249 assists and 243 TO (1.02:1).
SOMEWHERE IN THIS ANCIENT, MYSTIC TRINITY...
- Rhode Island ranks 81st nationally and third in the A-10 in 3FG%, connecting on 36.6% of its attempts from beyond the arc.
- The Rams' long-range proficiency is highly efficient, given that the team ranks 244th in 3FG attempts (388 3FGA).
- In Atlantic 10 play (eight games), Rhode Island leads the league in long-range shooting, connecting on 39.3% (64-163).
- In 2014-15, the Rams ranked near the bottom of the NCAA rankings, checking in at 313th in 3FG% (30.3%).
...THREE IS A MAGIC NUMBER
- Rhode Island posted the nation's fourth-best 3-point shooting performance of the season on Jan. 5 vs. Richmond.
- The Rams connected on 12-of-17 from beyond the arc - good for a 70.6% mark. Rhody made its first eight long-range attempts.
- The 70.6 3FG% is the fourth-best 3-point performance in school history. The record is 72.2% (13-18) vs. Vermont (Dec. 30, 2003).
- Rhody connected on 10 or more 3-pointers in three consecutive games - at Brown (12/30), vs. SLU (1/2), and vs. Richmond (1/5).
- The last time that happened was 2006-07 - 12 at Duquesne (2/11/07), 11 vs. Saint Louis (2/14/07), 12 vs. Charlotte (2/17/07).
- During that three-game span, the Rams made 35-of-67 from beyond the arc - good for 52.2%.