Both coaching staffs will be wearing sneakers on the sidelines of Saturday's games, as part of the Coaches vs. Cancer Suits & Sneakers Week. Additionally, head coach Dan Hurley and his staff will be wearing Princess Lacey's Laces with their adidas sneakers.
Lacey Holsworth was an 8-year-old basketball fan who died of cancer. Special laces in her honor are now being sold at Shoe Carnival with 85% of the proceeds going to the American Cancer Society and 15% to Princess Lacey's Legacy.
- A special button-making station will also be setup in the North lobby area, where fans can provide a photo and create a personal design to recognize a loved one affected by cancer. A limited number of "Find the Cure" Rhody cancer support T-shirts will be on sale, with the proceeds being donated back to Coaches vs. Cancer.
- Assisting URI Athletics in the fight this year will be Moe's Southwest Grill of Wakefield and Coventry Lumber. Moe's is donating 20 percent of sales from open – 5 p.m. on January 30, to URI's Coaches vs. Cancer Initiative, while Coventry Lumber will donate a percentage of their sales throughout the month of January when GORHODY is mentioned at checkout.
- All fans visiting the Thomas M. Ryan Center for the 6 p.m. tipoff will be given a Coaches vs. Cancer card to write a name of someone affected by cancer and hold up during a Moment of Recognition during the 4:00 media timeout in the first half.
- URI Athletics will also be donating two dollars from every game ticket sold to The Tomorrow Fund to continue the battle against pediatric cancer. This contribution will be made in honor of Westerly native Dorian Murray, whose courageous fight with cancer has touched the lives of families around the world. Learn more about Dorian and follow his fight through the hashtag #DStrong.
GAME DAY CENTRAL:
TV: CBS Sports Network - Tom McCarthy, Mo Cassara
AUDIO: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM) - Steve McDonald, Don Kaull
INTERNET: iHeartRadio.com (audio)
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS SAINT JOSEPH'S
- Rhode Island faces Saint Joseph's in the second of two regular season meetings.
- The Hawks edged the Rams, 72-67, on Hawk Hill in the first meeting on Jan. 10.
- SJU holds a 58-41 lead in the all-time series record, which began in 1940-41.
- Rhody and SJU split their regular season series last year, with the home teams holding serve.
- The average margin of victory over the last five games is just 4.6 points.
- Rhody is 22-22 all-time vs. Saint Joseph's in Kingston.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 257-314 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last season, the Rams posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 142-73 all-time record in the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- With the win over Fordham on Jan. 27, it marked the 11th time in venue history that the Rams won 10 or more home games.
- The Rams' first victory in the building was a 73-71 overtime affair vs. USC on Nov. 26, 2002.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- A quick look at the Atlantic 10-only stats shows several Rhody players and the Rams as a whole ranking near the top of the stats.
- Kuran Iverson (8-12/66.7%) and Jarvis Garrett (18-29/62.1%) rank 1st and 2nd, respectively in 3FG percentage.
- Garrett's 15.6 A-10 scoring average is 18th-best in the league. He is also sixth in assists (4.6 apg) and ninth in assist/TO (2.13:1).
- Four McGlynn (16-16) sits atop the free throw percentage list. Hassan Martin ranks 3rd in blocks (2.2 bpg) and 4th in FG% (61.8%).
- As a team, the Rams rank first in 3FG% (42.9%) and blocked shots (5.6 bpg) while ranking second in FG% (48.1%).
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - JANUARY 30
- Rhode Island is 13-7 all-time - and 5-6 in Atlantic 10 play - in games played on January 30.
- In the last Jan. 30 victory, Rhody downed George Washington, 72-66, in 2010. Keith Cothran led the Rams with 17 points.
- January 30 marks the celebration of National Croissant Day.
- Notable January 30 birthdays: former U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt, actor Gene Hackman, and musician Phil Collins.
MARTIN PLAYING THE PERCENTAGES
- Hassan Martin ranks 21st nationally and second in the Atlantic 10 in field goal percentage, connecting on 59.6% of his shots.
- The 6-7 forward was 7-for-7 from the floor vs. La Salle on Jan. 16. In A-10 play, he boasts a 61.8% FG% - fourth in the league.
- For his career, the junior is shooting 58.0% (318-548) - which ranks first all-time in the URI record book.
- The 58.0% shooting proficiency mark is 18th-best among all active NCAA Division I student-athletes.
JARVIS GARRETT - AMONG THE MOST IMPROVED PLAYERS IN THE ATLANTIC 10
- Jarvis Garrett is emerging as one of the top guards - and a leading candidate for the Most Improved Player award - in the Atlantic 10.
- The sophomore leads the Rams in scoring (12.6 ppg.), assists (4.4 apg), and 3FG% (42.0%) min. 20 3FGM.
- Those totals rank 25th, 10th, and 6th, respectively, in the Atlantic 10 statistical rankings.
- The Milwaukee native has shown a marked improvement in his production since last year's freshman campaign.
|93 (2.8 apg)||Assists||88 (4.4 apg)
POSITIVE ASSIST/TURNOVER RATIO
- Through the first five games of the season, Rhody had posted 49 assists to 75 turnovers - a 0.65:1 assist/turnover ratio.
- Since then, the Rams have 196 assists to 157 turnovers, good for a 1.25:1 assist/turnover ratio.
- For the season, Rhody is back on the positive side of its assist/turnover totals, with 245 assists and 233 TO (1.05:1).
SOMEWHERE IN THIS ANCIENT, MYSTIC TRINITY...
- Rhode Island ranks 53rd nationally and second in the A-10 in 3FG%, connecting on 37.8% of its attempts from beyond the arc.
- The Rams' long-range proficiency is highly efficient, given that the team ranks 244th in 3FG attempts (365 3FGA).
- In Atlantic 10 play (seven games), Rhode Island leads the league in long-range shooting, connecting on 42.9% (60-140).
- In 2014-15, the Rams ranked near the bottom of the NCAA rankings, checking in at 313th in 3FG% (30.3%).
GARRETT CONNECTING FROM LONG-RANGE
- Through the first nine games of the season, Jarvis Garrett was shooting 5-for-28 from beyond the arc - a 17.9% clip from 3FG.
- Over his last 11 games, Garrett has made 22-of-41 from the perimeter - including a career-best 4-of-4 on Jan. 5 vs. Richmond.
- Garrett ranks second on the Rams in 3-pointers made (29 3FGM) and ranks 10th in the A-10 3FG%, connecting on 42.0%.
- In Atlantic 10 play (seven games), Garrett is connecting on 62.1% (19-24) - second behind teammate Kuran Iverson (8-12, 66.7%).
A LEANER TERRELL AIMS TO CONTINUE TRENDING
- In his Rhode Island career, on the 29 occasions in which Jared Terrell scored in double-figures, the team is 24-5.
- On the 267 occasions where Terrell has 15 or more points, Rhody has compiled a 8-2 record.
- As a 2014-15 A-10 All-Rookie team selection, he was named the CBSSports.com/National Freshman of the Week on Feb. 3, 2015.
- The Weymouth, Mass. native dropped from his playing weight of 225 as a freshman to 215 at the start of practice this year.