GAME DAY CENTRAL:
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS GEORGE WASHINGTON
- Rhody and George Washington play their lone regular season matchup tonight.
- George Washington holds a 30-26 lead in the all-time series.
- Last season, the Rams took two from Colonials - a 59-55 win in Kingston on Jan. 31 and a 71-58 in the A-10 Quarterfinals in Brooklyn on March 13.
- Rhody is 9-16 all-time vs. George Washington at the Smith Center.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 256-313 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last season, the Rams posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
- Rhody's six A-10 road wins tied for most in the league (VCU) and was the second-highest total in program history (7 in 1987-88).
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Today's Theme: Odds & Ends
- Jarvis Garrett is averaging 15.6 points and is shooting 61.1% from 3FG in A-10 play.
- In the non-conference, he averaged 10.9 points and shot 27.5% from the perimeter.
- Grad. transfer Four McGlynn originally committed to play for Mike Lonergan when he was the head coach at Vermont.
- Hassan Martin is registering a blocked shot in close to 10% of all Rhode Island defensive possessions.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - JANUARY 22
- Rhode Island is 9-12 all-time - and 5-6 in Atlantic 10 play - in games played on January 22.
- Last year, the Rams earned a 59-47 win over La Salle at the Ryan Center on Jan. 22, 2015.
- January 22 marks the celebration of National Blonde Brownie Day.
- Notable January 22 birthdays: Journey lead singer Steve Perry, D.J. Jazzy Jeff, and a pair of Sirs - Francis Bacon & Walter Raleigh.
MARTIN PLAYING THE PERCENTAGES
- Hassan Martin ranks 20th nationally and third in the Atlantic 10 in field goal percentage, connecting on 60.1% of his shots.
- Last time out, the 6-7 forward was 7-for-7 from the floor vs. La Salle. In A-10 play, he boasts a 64.3% field goal percentage.
- For his career, the junior is shooting 58.1% (311-535) - which ranks first all-time in the URI record book.
- The 58.1% shooting proficiency mark is 18th-best among all active NCAA Division I student-athletes.
POSITIVE ASSIST/TURNOVER RATIO
- Through the first five games of the season, Rhody had posted 49 assists to 75 turnovers - a 0.65:1 assist/turnover ratio.
- Since then, the Rams have 171 assists to 135 turnovers, good for a 1.27:1 assist/turnover ratio.
- For the season, Rhody is back on the positive side of its assist/turnover totals, with 220 assists and 211 TO (1.04:1).
SOMEWHERE IN THIS ANCIENT, MYSTIC TRINITY...
- Rhode Island posted the second-best 3-point shooting performance of the season on Jan. 5 vs. Richmond.
- The Rams connected on 12-of-17 from beyond the arc - hitting their first eight long-range attempts - for a 70.6% 3FG percentage.
- Only Oral Roberts (15-21; 71.4% vs. Detroit) has shot better in a single-game this season.
- The 70.6 3FG% is the fourth-best 3-point performance in school history. The record is 72.2% (13-18) vs. Vermont on Dec. 30, 2003.
...THREE IS A MAGIC NUMBER
- Through 18 games, URI's 3FG% is 37.3% - ranking 67th nationally. In 2014-15, the Rams ranked 313th nationally in 3FG% (30.3%).
- Rhody connected on 10 or more 3-pointers in three consecutive games - at Brown (12/30), vs. SLU (1/2), and vs. Richmond (1/5).
- The last time that happened was 2006-07 - 12 at Duquesne (2/11/07), 11 vs. Saint Louis (2/14/07), 12 vs. Charlotte (2/17/07).
- During that three-game span, the Rams made 35-of-67 from beyond the arc - good for 52.2%.
'TIS THE SEASON OF GIVING FOR GARRETT
- Jarvis Garrett ranks sixth in the A-10 in assists (4.4 apg) and is fifth in the league and 87th nationally in assist/turnover ratio (2.42:1).
- He had a season-high eight assists (one turnover) in 33 minutes against Richmond on Jan. 5.
- On Jan. 10 at Saint Joseph's, he played 38 minutes without committing a turnover, while dishing out six assists.
- The sophomore point guard has led the team in assists in 12 of 18 games and ranks 116th nationally in total assists (80).
DOUBLE-DOUBLE WITH A SIDE OF TWO CAREER HIGHS FOR IVERSON
- Kuran Iverson was a stat sheet stuffer vs. La Salle, tallying 12 points, 12 rebounds, five assists, and four blocked shots in 31 minutes.
- He was 4-of-6 from the floor - including a 3-pointer - and grabbed eight of his 12 boards on the defensive end.
- The junior forward also registered new career-bests in assists and blocks.
- It was Iverson's team-best third double-double of the season and his fourth game with 10 or more rebounds.
CONFIDENT THOMPSON CONTRIBUTES OFF BENCH
- Christion Thompson has provided a scoring punch off the bench over his last 13 games, averaging 6.6 points per game.
- Included in that 12-game span are three double-digit scoring efforts - 13 at Brown, 11 vs. Rider, and 10 vs. Providence.
- The 6-4 guard has connected on 18-of-40 (45.0% 3FG) from beyond the arc over the 13-game span.
- At St. Bonaventure, the Gonzales, La. native played a season-high 32 minutes and added nine points.
- Eight of his career-best 13 points at Brown came in the second half and overtime periods.
- On Dec. 5 vs. Providence, Thompson connected on 3-of-3 from beyond the arc.
GARRETT CONNECTING FROM LONG-RANGE
- Through the first nine games of the season, Jarvis Garrett was shooting 5-for-28 from beyond the arc - a 17.9% clip from 3FG.
- Over his last nine games, Garrett has made 15-of-30 from the perimeter - including a career-best 4-of-4 on Jan. 5 vs. Richmond.
- Garrett ranks second on the Rams in 3-pointers made - with 22 3FGM.