How It Happened
A 14-4 run early in the first half gave Rhode Island the lead for a good in a 73-62 win over La Salle.
Tied at 4-4, the Rams began their run thanks to six points from Hassan Martin. His jumper at the 10:29 mark gave Rhody an 18-8 advantage. URI connected on 12-of-24 from the floor through the first 20:00 of play, taking a 31-22 lead at the break.
In the second half, La Salle cut the Rhody lead to five - at 51-46 with 7:23 to play. But Rhody rattled off seven unanswered - four from Jarvis Garrett and a 3-pointer from Kuran Iverson that put the lead back into double digits the rest of the way.
The Rams continued their hot hand offensively in the second half, connecting on 65.0% (13-20) from the floor while building as much as a 16-point lead (65-49, 2:49 left).
Inside the Box Score
- Jarvis Garrett led the way for Rhody, netting a career-high 19 points and dishing out four assists. He now leads the team with 14 double-digit scoring games this season.
- Kuran Iverson recorded his third double-double of the season, finishing with 12 points and 12 rebounds. He also had the lone steal of the game for the Rams and registered new career highs in both assists (5) and blocks (4).
- Hassan Martin was a perfect 7-for-7 from the field, scoring 15 points to finish in double figures for the eighth time in the last 10 games. He also had three blocked shots, marking the seventh time this year he records at least three swats.
- Jared Terrell and Four McGlynn each scored eight points in the win. Terrell also pulled down seven rebounds while McGlynn added a pair of assists.
- Each of the eight players to see the floor for the Rams scored as Earl Watson (2) and Christion Thompson (7) and Nicola Akele (2) combined for 11 points.
- As a team, Rhody shot 56.8 percent from the field (25-44), marking the sixth time this season that the Rams shoot .500 or better.
- Rhode Island also turned in its best performance of the season from the free throw line, hitting 18-of-21 attempts (85.7%).
Stat of the Game, pt. I
7-7 - Hassan Martin kept it 100 - percent shooting from the floor - making all seven of his field goal attempts. The perfect shooting night moved him over the 60% FG percentage mark for the season and close to 65% shooting in A-10 games.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
16 - Rhody held La Salle to just 16 rebounds, as the Rams dominated the glass on the afternoon. The Rams were +19 overall and +4 on the offensive glass. The previous opponent low was 26 (four times, last vs. SLU).
Rhody heads on the road for its third Atlantic 10 road tilt of the season, taking on George Washington on Friday, Jan. 22.
The game between the Rams and Colonials will air live nationally on ESPN2, beginning at 7 p.m.
The Rhody Sports Network will also carry this - and every game - live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull.