GAME DAY CENTRAL:
TV: NBC Sports Network - Mike Corey; Dalen Cuff
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS LA SALLE
- Rhode Island and La Salle play the first of their two regular season matchups.
- URI holds a 23-8 lead in the all-time series, which dates back to 1976-77.
- The Rams snapped a four-game slide vs. the Explorers last year en route to sweeping the season series - 59-47 victory in Kingston on Jan. 22 and 59-56 at Tom Gola Arena on Feb. 28, 2015
- La Salle assistant coach Horace "Pappy" Owens is a 1983 graduate of URI and was inducted into the Athletics Hall of Fame in 1996. He finished his Rhody career with 1,750 points.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 255-313 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last season, the Rams posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
- Rhody's six A-10 road wins tied for most in the league (VCU) and was the second-highest total in program history (7 in 1987-88).
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 140-73 all-time record in the Thomas M. Ryan Center and went 14-2 last year on the Alex and Ani Court.
- It marked the 10th time in venue history (13 years) that the Rams won 10 or more home games.
- The Rams' first victory in the building was a 73-71 overtime affair vs. USC on Nov. 26, 2002.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Today's Theme: The "Other Game Up The Road"
- The Rams have compiled a 6-5 record all-time in games played on the same day as a New England Patriots playoff game.
- In the last Rhody/Patriots double dip on Jan. 10, 2015, the Rams won at Duquesne, 61-60, after two Jared Terrell FT with :08 left.
- That same day, the Pats began their march to Super Bowl 49 with a 35-31 victory over the Ravens at Gillette Stadium.
- Conversely, the Patriots have compiled an identical 6-5 record in playoff games played on the same day at a URI MBB game.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - JANUARY 16
- Rhode Island is 17-10 all-time - and 4-4 in Atlantic 10 play - in games played on January 16.
- January 16 marks the dual celebration of National Rubber Ducky and National Peach Melba Days.
- Notable Jan. 16 birthdays: singer Sade, model Kate Moss, pitcher Dizzy Dean, and sprinter Eric Liddell - lead character in Chariots of Fire.
POSITIVE ASSIST/TURNOVER RATIO
- Through the first five games of the season, Rhody had posted 49 assists to 75 turnovers - a 0.65:1 assist/turnover ratio.
- Since then, the Rams have 158 assists to 122 turnovers, good for a 1.30:1 assist/turnover ratio.
- For the season, Rhody is back on the positive side of its assist/turnover totals, with 207 assists and 197 TO (1.05:1).
MARTIN REACHES TRIPLE DIGIT MARK IN CAREER DUNKS
- Hassan Martin registered his 100th career dunk early in the first half at St. Bonaventure on Jan. 13
- Martin went on to register #101 and 102 later in the game.
- Close to 33% of the Staten Island native's career field goals have come from the slam dunk.
- Prior to the season, CBSSports.com released its list of the Best Dunkers in college basketball and rated Martin #20 on the list.
- His second half dunk vs. Providence on Dec. 5 was a SportsCenter Top 10 highlight, checking in at #9 that night.
CONFIDENT THOMPSON CONTRIBUTES OFF BENCH
- Christion Thompson has provided a scoring punch off the bench over his last 12 games, averaging 6.5 points per game.
- Included in that 12-game span are three double-digit scoring efforts - 13 at Brown, 11 vs. Rider, and 10 vs. Providence.
- The 6-4 guard has connected on 17-of-38 (44.7% 3FG) from beyond the arc over the 12-game span.
- Last time out at St. Bonaventure, the Gonzales, La. native played a season-high 32 minutes and added nine points.
- Eight of his career-best 13 points at Brown came in the second half and overtime periods.
- On Dec. 5 vs. Providence, Thompson connected on 3-of-3 from beyond the arc.
GARRETT CONNECTING FROM LONG-RANGE
- Through the first nine games of the season, Jarvis Garrett was shooting 5-for-28 from beyond the arc - a 17.9% clip from 3FG.
- Over his last eight games, Garrett has made 14-of-27 from the perimeter - including a career-best 4-of-4 on Jan. 5 vs. Richmond.
- Garrett ranks second on the Rams in 3-pointers made - with 21 3FGM.