How It Happened
St. Bonaventure scored the final nine points of game over the last 3:39 of regulation, as the Rams dropped a 69-64 loss at the Reilly Center.
A traditional 3-point play with 3:39 remaining by Jarvis Garrett made it 64-60, Rams. After two made FT by Bona on the next possession, Rhody turned the ball over with 3:00 left but made a defensive stop and maintained its two-point lead.
A missed 3-pointer from Four McGlynn at the end of the shot clock led to the possession that turned the tides. The Rams played solid defense for virtually the entire shot clock before Denzel Gregg connected on a 25-footer to give the Bonnies the lead for good, at 65-64 with 1:37 left.
The Rams began the game slowly, connecting on their first field goal of the game - a Hassan Martin dunk at the 13:15 mark - and trailed 19-6 early on. Rhody's trademark toughness showed, as they began a 12-2 run spurred by the play of Martin, Christian Thompson, and Jarvis Garrett - whose 3-pointer at the 4:55 mark cut it to three - at 21-18.
Garrett tied it up at 25-25 with just under a minute to play in the half, but Gregg converted a traditional 3-point play to end the half and gave SBU a 28-25 lead at the break.
Inside the Box Score
- Martin led Rhode Island with 17 points (8-11 FG). He also grabbed six boards and a blocked a shot in 34 minutes.
- The 6-7 junior collected his 100th, 101st, and 102nd career dunks in tonight's contest.
- Garrett added 16 points, three rebounds, and two assists in 35 minutes. The sophomore point guard scored 10 of his 16 points in the second half.
- Four McGlynn added 14 points in 38 minutes of play. He connected on two 3-pointers, while tallying two assists and two steals.
- Christian Thompson played inspired off the bench for Rhode Island - a season-high 32 minutes of action - registering nine points, four rebounds, and two assists.
- The Rams made 4-of-6 from beyond the arc in the second half. They were 2-of-13 in the first half.
- St. Bonaventure's bench outscored the Rams, 22-11.
- There were five ties and four lead changes in the game.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
34 - The Rams scored 34 of their 64 points in the paint.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
14 - Rhody's 14 offensive rebounds led to 17 second-chance points on the night.
Rhody ends its two-game road swing on Saturday, Jan. 16 when it hosts La Salle at 2:30 p.m. at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
The game will be televised live nationally on the NBC Sports Network, with Mike Corey and Dalen Cuff providing the broadcast call.
The Rhody Sports Network will also carry this - and every game - live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull.