GAME DAY CENTRAL:
TV: NBC Sports Network - Mike Corey; Dalen Cuff
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS SAINT JOSEPH'S
- Rhode Island faces Saint Joseph's in the first of two regular season meetings.
- SJU holds a 57-41 lead in the all-time series record, which began in 1940-41.
- URI won the last meeting, 78-68, on March 7, 2015 in Kingston.
- Rhody and Saint Joseph's split their regular season series last year, with the home teams holding serve.
- The Hawks have won five of the last six meetings, dating back to 2011-12.
- The average margin of victory over the last three games is just 4.57 points.
- Rhody is 15-32 all-time vs. Saint Joseph's at Hawk Hill.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 255-310 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last season, the Rams posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
- Rhody's six A-10 road wins tied for most in the league (VCU) and was the second-highest total in program history (7 in 1987-88).
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Today's Theme: 3-pointers galore
- Dating back to the Dec. 30 game at Brown, Rhode Island has connected on 10 or more 3-pointers in three consecutive games .
- The last time that happened was 2006-07 - 12 at Duquesne (2/11/07), 11 vs. Saint Louis (2/14/07), 12 vs. Charlotte (2/17/07).
- During the three-game span, the Rams have made 35-of-67 from beyond the arc - good for 52.2%.
- Through 15 games, URI's 3FG% is 37.9% - ranking 56th nationally. In 2014-15, the Rams ranked 313th nationally in 3FG% (30.3%).
- Jarvis Garrett (4-4) and Four McGlynn (4-5) combined to hit eight of Rhody's 12 3-pointers vs. Saint Louis.
- The last time Rhody had two players make at least four 3-pointers in a game was March 2, 2013 at Temple (Munford - 5; Malone - 4).
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - JANUARY 10
- Rhode Island is 16-14 all-time - and 4-5 in Atlantic 10 play - in games played on January 10.
- Last season, the Rams earned a 61-60 road win at Duquesne on January 10.
- The lone previous Jan. 10 meeting vs. Saint Joseph's was a triple OT affair in 2009 at the Palestra, with the Hawks winning, 92-86.
- January 10 marks the celebration of National Save the Eagles Day (kind of appropriate around the Philly area).
- Notable January 10 birthdays: golfer Ian Poulter, actress Linda Lovelace, boxer George Foreman, and late singer/songwriter Jim Croce.
POSITIVE ASSIST/TURNOVER RATIO
- Through the first five games of the season, Rhody had posted 49 assists to 75 turnovers - a 0.65:1 assist/turnover ratio.
- Since then, the Rams have 132 assists to 96 turnovers, good for a 1.38:1 assist/turnover ratio.
- For the season, Rhody is back on the positive side of its assist/turnover totals, with 181 assists and 171 TO (1.06:1).
- Rhode Island is 6-1 when posting a positive assist/turnover ratio. The lone loss came at Old Dominion (12 A/10 TO).
SOMEWHERE IN THIS ANCIENT, MYSTIC TRINITY...
- Rhode Island posted the second-best 3-point shooting performance of the season last time out vs. Richmond.
- The Rams connected on 12-of-17 from beyond the arc - hitting their first eight long-range attempts - for a 70.6% 3FG percentage.
- Only Oral Roberts (15-21; 71.4% vs. Detroit) has shot better in a single-game this season.
- The 70.6 3FG% is the fourth-best 3-point performance in school history. The record is 72.2% (13-18) vs. Vermont on Dec. 30, 2003.
'TIS THE SEASON OF GIVING FOR GARRETT
- Jarvis Garrett leads the Rams and ranks fifth in the A-10 in assists, averaging 4.5 dimes per game.
- He had a season-high eight assists (one turnover) in 33 minutes against Richmond on Jan. 5.
- The sophomore point guard has led the team in assists in 11 of 15 games and ranks 89th nationally in total assists (68).
HASSAN MARTIN RETURNS TO RHODY LINEUP; DOES HASSAN MARTIN THINGS
- After injuring his left ankle at ODU, Hassan Martin went on to miss the first two games of his collegiate career (at Brown; vs. SLU).
- The Staten Island native returned to action vs. Richmond on Jan. 5, playing 27 minutes off the bench.
- The 6-7 forward and preseason All-A-10 First Teamer totalled 10 points, seven rebounds, and five blocks vs. the Spiders.
- He leads the Atlantic 10 and ranks 14th nationally in blocked shots per game - swatting 2.77 shots per contest.
AKELE NAMED ATLANTIC 10 ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
- Nicola Akele was named the Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week on Jan. 4 after seeing his most significant action of the season.
- Akele set new career-highs in scoring in wins at Brown (7 pts.) and in the Atlantic 10 opener against Saint Louis (9 pts).
- The 6-7 freshman earned his first collegiate start at Brown, registering seven points (3-5 FG) and two steals in the OT win.
- On Jan. 2 vs. Saint Louis, the Treviso, Italy product knocked down two early 3-pointers and scored six of Rhody's first 11 points.
- Akele finished with nine points, four rebounds, two assists and a blocked shot in 29 minutes of play vs. SLU
- It marked the 12th time during the Dan Hurley era that a Ram earned A-10 Rookie of the Week honors.
NOTES ABOUT FOUR McGLYNN's CAREER-HIGH 33 POINTS AT BROWN
- Four McGlynn poured in a career-best 33 points on Dec. 30 at Brown. His previous high was 27 points, set on four occasions.
- It was the first 30-point performance by a Rhody player since E.C. Matthews had 32 vs. Duquesne on Feb. 15, 2014.
- It tied for the highest point total by a URI player under Dan Hurley - Xavier Munford had 33 points at Auburn on Nov. 25, 2012.
- McGlynn's 10 field goals made tied with Hassan Martin (10 vs. Iona) for the most by a Ram this season and his 21 field goals attempted were the most in a game since Munford at Auburn (24 in a double OT win).
- McGlynn connected on six 3-pointers for the second time this season and the fourth time in his career.
CONFIDENT THOMPSON CONTRIBUTES OFF BENCH
- Christion Thompson has provided a scoring punch off the bench over his last nine games, averaging 6.8 points per game.
- The 6-4 guard has connected on 12-of-25 (48.0% 3FG) from beyond the arc over the nine-game span.
- He poured in a career-best 13 points at Brown - combining for eight points in the second half and overtime periods.
- At Nebraska, Thompson tallied eight points (3-4 FG; 2-2 3FG) in 14 minutes of play.
- On Dec. 5 vs. Providence, Thompson connected on 3-of-3 from beyond the arc good for 10 points.
- Against Rider, the freshman guard tallied a season-high 11 points - connecting on 3-of-6 from the floor (3-5 3FG) in 13 minutes.
GARRETT CONNECTING FROM LONG-RANGE
- Through the first nine games of the season, Jarvis Garrett was shooting 5-for-28 from beyond the arc - a 17.9% clip from 3FG.
- Over his last six games, Garrett has made 12-of-19 from the perimeter - including a career-best 4-of-4 last time out vs. Richmond.
- Garrett ranks second on the Rams in 3-pointers made - with 17 3FGM.
A LEANER TERRELL AIMS TO CONTINUE TRENDING
- In his Rhode Island career, on the 27 occasions in which Jared Terrell scored in double-figures, the team is 23-4.
- On the 24 occasions where Terrell has 12 or more points, Rhody has compiled a 22-3 record.
- As a 2014-15 A-10 All-Rookie team selection, he was named the CBSSports.com/National Freshman of the Week on Feb. 3, 2015.
- The Weymouth, Mass. native dropped from his playing weight of 225 as a freshman to 215 at the start of practice this year.