How It Happened
Thanks to a hot start from the outside, Rhody moved to 2-0 in Atlantic 10 play with a 77-65 win over Richmond on Tuesday night.
The Rams (10-5; 2-0 A-10) knocked down their first eight attempts from 3-point land, en route to finishing 12-of-17 from beyond the arc - good for 70.6% for the game.
After trading baskets at the start, Richmond led by four (14-10) less than five minutes in. A Jared Terrell 3-ball and two Earl Watson free throws began a 16-0 run that gave Rhody the lead for good. A Christian Thompson trey capped the run, giving URI a 26-14 lead with 9:55 left in the half. The Rams would take a 41-32 lead into the locker room at the half.
In the second half, the Spiders cut it to six - at 49-43 - before URI began a 15-4 run over the next seven minutes. A Four McGlynn fast break 3-pointer made it 64-47 with 8:16 to go in regulation. The Rams would lead by as many as 19 points.
Inside the Box Score
- Four Rams reached double-digits in the scoring column, led by 18 points apiece for Jarvis Garrett and Jared Terrell.
- The 18 points for Garrett set a new career-high, connecting on 6-of-9 from the floor - including 4-of-4 from the perimeter and 2-of-2 from the charity stripe. Garrett also dished out eight assists while committing just one turnover in 33 minutes of play.
- Terrell was 6-of-12 from the field, while corralling five rebounds, an assist, and a steal in 38 minutes.
- Four McGlynn scored 14 points - knocking down 4-of-5 from the outside - while totaling three boards, two assists, a blocked shot and a steal.
- Hassan Martin returned to the court for the first time since Dec. 22 and added 10 points (4-9 FG), seven rebounds, and five blocked shots.
- Christian Thompson had six points (2-4 3FG), two rebounds, two assists, a block, and two steals.
- For the game, Rhody shot 51.0% from the floor - the fifth time in 2015-16 that the Rams shot 50.0% or better in a game.
- URI's 70.6% (12-17) clip from the outside marked the fourth-best 3-point FG proficiency mark in program history. The Rams' record of 72.2% (13-18) was set on Dec. 30, 2003 vs. Vermont.
- Rhody registered a positive assist/turnover for the fifth consecutive game. URI dished out 15 assists to 12 turnovers vs. the Spiders.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
19 - The Ram bench tallied 19 points on the night - paced by 10 points from Martin and six from Thompson.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
8 - Eight of URI's 12 3-pointers came in the first half.
Rhody heads to Philly on Sunday for its first Atlantic 10 road contest of the season at Saint Joseph's.
Tip time at Hawk Hill is set for noon and the game will be nationally televised on NBC Sports Network.
The Rhody Sports Network will also carry this - and every game - live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull. The pre-game show begins 30 minutes before tipoff.