GAME DAY CENTRAL:
TV: ESPNU - Kevin Fitzgerald; Tim Welsh
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS RICHMOND
- Rhode Island and Richmond face off in their lone regular season matchup.
- The Spiders lead the all-time series, 13-8, which dates back to the 1959-60 season.
- Last year, Rhode Island earned a 79-74 decision at the Robins Center on Feb 8.
- URI has won the last two meetings. Prior to that, Richmond had won three straight.
- The Rams are 6-3 vs. the Spiders at the Ryan Center.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 254-310 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last season, the Rams posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
- Rhody's six A-10 road wins tied for most in the league (VCU) and was the second-highest total in program history (7 in 1987-88).
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 139-73 all-time record in the Thomas M. Ryan Center and went 14-2 last year on the Alex and Ani Court.
- It marked the 10th time in venue history (13 years) that the Rams won 10 or more home games.
- The Rams' first victory in the building was a 73-71 overtime affair vs. USC on Nov. 26, 2002.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Rhode Island has posted consecutive games with at least 85 points for the first time since the start of the 2011-12 season.
- The Rams started that year with back-to-back 90 point performances in losses at George Mason and at Texas.
- URI and Davidson are the only schools in the A-10 with four players ranked among the top 30 in scoring in the league.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - JANUARY 5
- Rhode Island is 16-9 all-time - and 3-4* in Atlantic 10 play - in games played on January 5.
- * The Rams also faced St. Bonaventure in an 88-80 loss on Jan. 5, 2005 that was eventually ruled a forfeit.
- Notable Jan. 5 victories: 1940 over Maryland in a game played in Elizabeth, N.J.; 1946 over Villanova.
- January 5 marks the dueling celebration of National Bird and National Whipped Cream Days.
- Notable January 5 birthdays: actor Bradley Cooper, King Juan Carlos of Spain, and former Vice President Walter Mondale.
POSITIVE ASSIST/TURNOVER RATIO
- Through the first five games of the season, Rhody had posted 49 assists to 75 turnovers - a 0.65:1 assist/turnover ratio.
- Since then, the Rams have 117 assists to 84 turnovers, good for a 1.40:1 assist/turnover ratio.
- For the season, Rhody is back on the positive side of its assist/turnover totals, with 166 assists and 159 TO (1.04:1).
AKELE NAMED ATLANTIC 10 ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
- Nicola Akele was named the Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week on Jan. 4 after seeing his most significant action of the season.
- Akele set new career-highs in scoring in wins at Brown and in the Atlantic 10 opener against Saint Louis.
- The 6-7 freshman earned his first collegiate start at Brown, registering seven points (3-5 FG) and two steals in the OT win.
- On Jan. 2 vs. Saint Louis, the Treviso, Italy product knocked down two early 3-pointers and scored six of Rhody's first 11 points.
- Akele finished with nine points, four rebounds, two assists and a blocked shot in 29 minutes of play vs. SLU
- It marks the 12th time during the Dan Hurley era that a Ram earned A-10 Rookie of the Week honors.
SOME MORE NOTES ABOUT FOUR McGLYNN's CAREER-HIGH 33 POINTS AT BROWN
- Four McGlynn poured in a career-best 33 points on Dec. 30 at Brown. His previous high was 27 points, set on four occasions.
- It was the first 30-point performance by a Rhody player since E.C. Matthews had 32 vs. Duquesne on Feb. 15, 2014.
- It tied for the highest point total by a URI player under Dan Hurley - Xavier Munford had 33 points at Auburn on Nov. 25, 2012.
- His 10 field goals made tied with Hassan Martin (10 vs. Iona) for the most by a Ram this season and his 21 field goals attempted were the most in a game since Munford at Auburn (24 in a double OT win).
- McGlynn connected on six 3-pointers for the second time this season and the fourth time in his career.
CONFIDENT THOMPSON CONTRIBUTES OFF BENCH
- Christion Thompson has provided a scoring punch off the bench over his last nine games, averaging 6.8 points per game.
- The 6-4 guard has connected on 12-of-25 (48.0% 3FG) from beyond the arc over the nine-game span.
- He poured in a career-best 13 points at Brown - scoring eight points in the second half and overtime periods.
- At Nebraska, Thompson tallied eight points (3-4 FG; 2-2 3FG) in 14 minutes of play.
- On Dec. 5 vs. Providence, Thompson connected on 3-of-3 from beyond the arc good for 10 points.
- Against Rider, the freshman guard tallied a season-high 11 points - connecting on 3-of-6 from the floor (3-5 3FG) in 13 minutes.
GARRETT CONNECTING FROM LONG-RANGE
- Through the first nine games of the season, Jarvis Garrett was shooting 5-for-28 from beyond the arc - a 17.9% clip from 3FG.
- Over his last five games, Garrett has made 8-of-15 from the perimeter - including 3-of-5 at Nebraska and 3-of-4 vs. Iona.
A LEANER TERRELL AIMS TO CONTINUE TRENDING
- In his Rhode Island career, on the 26 occasions in which Jared Terrell scored in double-figures, the team has won 22 of those games.
- When Terrell scores 10 or more points, Rhody is 20-3.
- As a 2014-15 A-10 All-Rookie team selection, he was named the CBSSports.com/National Freshman of the Week on Feb. 3, 2015.
- The Weymouth, Mass. native dropped from his playing weight of 225 as a freshman to 215 at the start of practice this year.