How It Happened
Rhody used one of its best shooting performances of the season to earn its first Atlantic 10 victory - in an 85-57 home victory over Saint Louis.
The Rams never trailed in the ballgame and jumped out to an 18-3 lead just six minutes into the ballgame. Nicola Akele knocked down two 3-pointers as URI connected on its first four attempts from beyond the arc during the stretch.
SLU got as close as eight (28-20) with 6:26 to play in the half before Rhode Island closed on a 14-4 run, capped by a Jared Terrell jumper, which made it 42-24 at the break.
Earl Watson made all six of his field goal attempts in the second half, pacing the Rams' offense. Rhody shot 51.7% (15-29) over the final 20 minutes of play, building as much as a 29-point lead.
Inside the Box Score
- Five Rams reached double-digits in the scoring column, led by Four McGlynn's 16 points. The graduate student connected on four 3-pointers, while dishing out three assists.
- Earl Watson added 14 points and five rebounds in 20 minutes. The 6-7 senior made all six of his field goal attempts.
- Sophomores Jarvis Garrett and Jared Terrell posted similar stat lines, with 13 points, four rebounds, four assists, and two steals apiece.
- Kuran Iverson came off the bench to add 12 points, eight boards, and two blocks in 20 minutes. Iverson missed the Dec. 30 game at Brown due to an ankle injury.
- Nicola Akele saw 29 minutes of play, tallying nine points, four boards, two assists and a blocked shot. Christion Thompson grabbed five rebounds, while Andre Berry played 15 minutes and added two points, three rebounds and a block.
- Rory Temkin converted his first career field goal on a baseline drive last in the ballgame. Rex Sunahara pulled down his first career rebound.
- The Rams were +12 on the backboard and +5 on the offensive glass.
- For the fourth straight game, Rhody posted a positive assist/turnover mark, with 15 dimes and just six turns. It was the fifth game that Rhody kept its turnover total in single digits.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
21 - The Rams scored 21 second-chance points on the afternoon, thanks in large part to their 13 offensive boards. Kuran Iverson led the Rams with five offensive boards.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
4 - Four McGlynn registered his fourth game of the season with at least four 3-pointers.
Rhode Island hosts Richmond on Tuesday, Jan. 5 in a nationally televised game on ESPNU. Tip time is set for 7 p.m., as Kevin Fitzgerald and Tim Welsh provide the broadcast call.
The Rhody Sports Network will air the game live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull. The pre-game show begins 30 minutes before tipoff.