How It Happened
Rhody used a rally late in the second half to cut a 15-point deficit to just three points, but it was not enough as the Rams fell, 71-65, at ODU on Tuesday night.
Trailing 48-33 with 13:01 to play, Rhody (7-5) used a 20-8 push over the next 8:00 it a one-possession ballgame. Two Jared Terrell free throws with 5:06 to go made it 56-53. The Monarchs (6-6) scored six straight but Rhody battled on each possession down the stretch.
The Rams led by four early on, after two Kuran Iverson FT made it 8-4 at the 16:00 media timeout, before ODU took the lead for good thanks to a 16-2 run over a seven-minute stretch. Old Dominion would lead by as many as 14 points in the first frame before taking a 34-24 edge at the break. ODU held an 11-3 edge in free throws attempted through the first 20 minutes of play, as the Rams were whistled for 10 fouls to just five for the Monarchs.
The loss extended ODU's home winning streak to 30 games at the Ted Constant Center.
Inside the Box Score
- Hassan Martin played just 11 minutes in the first half after rolling his ankle. He scored four of the first six Rhody points.
- Jared Terrell led URI with 15 points, while dishing out a career-best five assists. He also added three rebounds and three steals before fouling out in 32 minutes.
- Terrell - along with ODU's Aaron Bacote - were whistled for a double-technical foul by referee Jeb Hartness late in the second half during Rhody's run.
- Kuran Iverson registered his second double-double of the season, with 14 points and a career-best 13 rebounds.
- Jarvis Garrett (12 points, three assists), and Four McGlynn (10 points, two assists) also reached double digits in the scoring column.
- Nicola Akele played a season-high 18 minutes, tallying three points and five boards.
- URI was outscored, 36-10, in bench scoring. Rhody did hold a 15-9 edge in second-chance points, thanks to 15 offensive rebounds.
- The Rams scored 21 second-chance points off their 20 offensive boards.
- Rhody knocked down 22-of-27 from the charity stripe for the game - good for a season-best 81.5%. URI went to the line 24 times in the second half alone, making 20.
- ODU connected on 51.2% (22-43) of its shots from the floor - the fourth time this season that the Rams allowed an opponent to shoot 50.0% or better from the floor.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
4-1 - The Rams lost their first game of the season when posting a positive assist/turnover ratio. Rhody had 12 assists and committed just 10 turnovers.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
8-8 - Jarvis Garrett knocked down all eight of his free throw attempts.
Rhode Island closes out the non-conference slate on Dec. 30 when it travels to Providence to face Brown in the 157th meeting between the two schools.
The Rhody Sports Network will air the game live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull. The pre-game show begins 30 minutes before tipoff.