GAME DAY CENTRAL:
TV: ASN - Jeff McGarragher, Mark Adams (full list of national clearances)
RI Local Clearances: MeTV (WJAR-2) - Cox ch. 810; FiOS ch. 460; Charter ch. 114; Comcast/Xfinity ch. 290; Full Channel 190; WJAR (Over the air) 10.2
AUDIO: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM) - Steve McDonald; Don Kaull
INTERNET: iHeartRadio.com (audio)
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS ODU
- Rhode Island and ODU are tied 2-2 in the all-time series between the two schools.
- All four previous meetings came in the early 1980's in a four-year series.
- The Rams and Monarchs split the series, with Rhody winning the first two games and ODU capturing the last two meetings.
- ODU head coach Jeff Jones spent a season as an assistant at URI in 1999-2000 before becoming the head coach at American.
RHODE ISLAND IN NON-CONFERENCE PLAY
- Since joining the Eastern 8 in 1980, URI is 276-219 (.558) in non-conference play.
- Rhody is 72-25 in the regular season and 81-26 overall in non-conference games played at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- URI has won 12 of its last 14 and 21 of its last 25 home non-conference games.
RHODE ISLAND VS. CONFERENCE USA
- The Rams have posted a 5-11 all-time mark versus Conference USA opponents.
- Last season, URI earned a 75-43 decision at Southern Miss on Dec. 6, 2014, splitting a home/home series with the Golden Eagles.
- In 2012-13, the Rams downed SMU, 72-50, when the Mustangs were a C-USA member.
- In 2009-10 and 2010-11, Rhode Island played at UCF and dropped both meetings.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Today's Theme: More Trends & Figures
- Through the first nine games of the season, Jarvis Garrett was shooting 5-for-28 from beyond the arc - a 17.9% clip from 3FG.
- Garrett has connected on 6-of-9 over the last two games, making 3-of-5 at Nebraska and 3-of-4 last time out vs. Iona.
- Another Garrett note: the sophomore PG has 46 assists in 11 games - the most by a Rhody player during the first 11 games of a season since Marquis Jones in 2009-10. Jones had 61 assists through his first 11 games that year.
- On Dec. 19 vs. Iona, Hassan Martin notched his 28th career game with at least four blocks. The Rams have won 16 of those games.
- Rhody is 4-0 this season when posting a positive assist-turnover ratio (Rider, Holy Cross, Houston, Iona).
- URI's 20 offensive rebounds vs. Iona were the most in a single-game since grabbing 22 vs. Loyola (Md.) on Nov. 23, 2012.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - DECEMBER 22
- Rhode Island is 11-3 all-time in games played on December 22.
- The Rams have won 10 straight contests played on December 22, dating back to the 1989-90 season.
- Dec. 22 marks the dual celebration of National Date Nut Bread Day and Forefathers Day - commemorating the landing of the Mayflower.
- Notable Dec. 22 birthdays: former First Lady Lady Bird Johnson, actor Ralph Fiennes, and 2/3 of the Bee Gees - Robin & Maurice Gibb.
LIMITING LEADING SCORERS
- Through the first 11 games of the season, Rhody has held its opposing leading scorer below his scoring average eight times.
- Last time out, Iona leader scorer A.J. English (25.0 ppg) missed the game due to injury.
- Nebraska's Andrew White III entered the game averaging 17.5 points per game and managed just nine on Dec. 13.
- On Dec. 8, Rhody held Houston's Rob Gray Jr. to 14 points - more than 4.0 points below his season average of 18.4 ppg.
- On Dec. 5 vs. Providence, the Rams held National Player of the Year candidate Kris Dunn to 15 points - 3.6 below his season average.
- Others: Jesse Reed - American (14.3 avg/7 pts); Alec Peters - Valpo (18.0 avg./14 pts); Demonte Flannigan - Cleveland State (16.5 avg./4 pts.); Vlad Brodziansky - TCU (14.9 avg./8 pts.); Malachi Alexander - Holy Cross (10.7 avg./7 pts.).
- Maryland's Melo Trimble (16.0 avg::17 pts.) and Rider's Xavier Lundy (11.0 avg::12 pts.) each bested their season averages.
MARTIN REACHES 200 MARK FOR CAREER BLOCKED SHOTS
- With his five blocks vs. Rider on Nov. 29, Hassan Martin joined the 200 career blocked shot club.
- Only Kenny Green (324) and current assistant coach Antonio Reynolds Dean (235) rank above him on Rhody's all-time blocks list.
- Among all active players, Martin is one of 12 Division I players to have at least 200 career blocks.
- Additionally, he ranks tied for 10th among all active players - and second among all juniors - with 213 career blocked shots.
WHERE THE RAMS RANK DEFENSIVELY - KENPOM.COM METRICS
- KenPom.com ranks Rhode Island 22nd nationally in adjusted defensive efficiency, with a 94.2 mark.
- Defensive efficiency measures points scored per 100 possessions, adjusted for the quality of opposing defenses, the site of each game, and when each game was played.
- Rhody also ranks 78th in effective FG% defense (46.3%), 2FG% defense (98th - 45.5%), block% (42nd - 13.5%), and turnover% (56th, 21.1%).
WHERE THE RAMS RANK DEFENSIVELY - NCAA RANKINGS
- Rhody ranks 23rd nationally in scoring defense, holding opponents to just 61.7 points per game.
- The Rams limited American to 42 points in the season opener and held Cleveland State to just 45 points.
- Six of 10 Rhody opponents did not crack the 60-point mark on the scoreboard.
- URI also ranks among the top 100 in blocks (42nd - 5.3 bpg).
GARRETT NOTCHES HIS 100TH CAREER ASSIST
- Sophomore point guard Jarvis Garrett tallied his 100th career collegiate assist on Nov. 21 vs. Cleveland State.
- Since entering the starting lineup at UMass on Jan. 18, the Milwaukee native has tallied 111 assists over his last 29 games (3.8 apg).
- As a starter, Garrett has a 2.36:1 assist-turnover ratio while playing an average of 31.0 minutes over the 29-game span.
- He currently ranks eighth in the A-10 in assist/turnover ratio (2.43:1) and ninth in assists per game (4.2 apg).
RHODE ISLAND: THE ATLANTIC 10'S TOUGHEST NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE IN 2015-16
- Rhody is playing one of the toughest non-conference slates in the nation, ranking first among all A-10 schools in SOS and non-conference RPI (116.79). Rhody is followed by VCU (141.75), Dayton (142.4), La Salle (148.9), and Saint Joseph's (150.25).
- Two Rhody opponents rank in the AP top 10: #4 Maryland and #10 Providence.
- Eight of the 14 non-conference foes played in the 2015 postseason, including three NCAA teams: Valpo, Maryland, Providence.
- Ten different conferences are represented Rhody's on non-conference slate: American (Houston); Big East (Providence); Big Ten (Maryland, Nebraska); Big 12 (TCU); Conference USA (ODU); Horizon (Valparaiso, Cleveland State); Ivy (Brown); MAAC (Rider, Iona); MVC (Illinois State); Patriot (American, Holy Cross)
- Four opponents in 2015-16 received votes in the preseason AP Top 25 poll - Providence (10), Valparaiso (5), ODU (3), and Iona.