GAME DAY CENTRAL:
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS IONA
- Rhode Island is 9-3 all-time versus Iona, dating back to the 1991-92 season.
- Last year, the two teams faced off in the first round of the 2015 NIT.
- The Rams earned an 88-75 victory over the Gaels on March 17, 2015 in that game.
- URI is 6-1 all-time at home versus Iona. The lone loss vs. the Gaels in Kingston came on Jan. 2, 1997 (89-84). ESPN analyst Tim Welsh was Iona's head coach.
RHODE ISLAND IN NON-CONFERENCE PLAY
- Since joining the Eastern 8 in 1980, URI is 275-219 (.558) in non-conference play.
- Rhody is 71-25 (.740) in the regular season and 80-26 (.755) in all non-conference games played at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- URI has won 11 of its last 13 and 20 of its last 24 home non-conference games.
RHODE ISLAND VS. THE MAAC
- The Rams are 36-20 all-time vs. Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference opponents.
- Iona is the second of two MAAC opponents this season (Rider - Nov. 29).
- Rhody downed Rider, 82-57, in the Cancun Challenge conclusion.
- URI has faced Manhattan the most of any MAAC opponent (21 games).
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 137-73 all-time record in the Thomas M. Ryan Center and went 14-2 last year on the Alex and Ani Court.
- It marked the 10th time in venue history (13 years) that the Rams won 10 or more home games.
- The Rams' first victory in the building was a 73-71 overtime affair vs. USC on Nov. 26, 2002.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - DECEMBER 19
- Rhode Island is 4-3 all-time in games played on December 19.
- Notable Dec. 19 wins: 1963 at St. John's, 1987 vs. Providence.
- December 19 also marks the celebration of National Oatmeal Muffin Day.
- Notable Dec. 19 birthdays: actor Jake Gyllenhaal, former USSR Chairman Leonid Brezhnev, and former Celtic great Kevin McHale.
LIMITING LEADING SCORERS
- Through the first 10 games of the season, Rhody has held its opposing leading scorer below his scoring average seven times.
- Last time out, Nebraska's Andrew White III entered the game averaging 17.5 points per game and managed just nine.
- On Dec. 8, Rhody held Houston's Rob Gray Jr. to 14 points - more than 4.0 points below his season average of 18.4 ppg.
- On Dec. 5 vs. Providence, the Rams held National Player of the Year candidate Kris Dunn to 15 points - 3.6 below his season average.
- Others: Jesse Reed - American (14.3 avg/7 pts); Alec Peters - Valpo (18.0 avg./14 pts); Demonte Flannigan - Cleveland State (16.5 avg./4 pts.); Vlad Brodziansky - TCU (14.9 avg./8 pts.); Malachi Alexander - Holy Cross (10.7 avg./7 pts.).
- Maryland's Melo Trimble (16.0 avg::17 pts.) and Rider's Xavier Lundy (11.0 avg::12 pts.) each bested their season averages.
MARTIN REACHES 200 MARK FOR CAREER BLOCKED SHOTS
- With his five blocks vs. Rider, Hassan Martin joined the 200 career blocked shot club.
- Only Kenny Green (324) and current assistant coach Antonio Reynolds Dean (235) rank above him on Rhody's all-time blocks list.
- Among all active players, Martin is one of 12 Division I players to have at least 200 career blocks.
- Additionally, he ranks ninth among all active players - and second among all juniors - with 202097 career blocked shots.
WHERE THE RAMS RANK DEFENSIVELY - KENPOM.COM METRICS
- KenPom.com ranks Rhode Island 22nd nationally in adjusted defensive efficiency, with a 94.1 mark.
- Defensive efficiency measures points scored per 100 possessions, adjusted for the quality of opposing defenses, the site of each game, and when each game was played.
- Rhody also ranks 80th in effective FG% defense (45.0%), 3FG% defense (61st - 30.7%), block% (38th - 13.9%), and turnover% (31st, 22.2%).
WHERE THE RAMS RANK DEFENSIVELY - NCAA RANKINGS
- Rhody ranks 19th nationally in scoring defense, holding opponents to just 60.5 points per game.
- The Rams limited American to 42 points in the season opener and held Cleveland State to just 45 points.
- Six of 10 Rhody opponents did not crack the 60-point mark on the scoreboard.
- URI also ranks among the top 100 in blocks (38th - 5.4 bpg), 3FG% defense (70th, 30.7%), and turnover margin (81st, +2.0 TO/g).