GAME DAY CENTRAL:
RHODE ISLAND VS. NEBRASKA - ALL-TIME SERIES
- Rhode Island is 1-1 all-time versus Nebraska.
- Last season, the Rams earned a 66-62 overtime win over the #21/21 ranked Huskers at the Ryan Center on Nov. 22, 2014.
- The Cornhuskers took an 83-63 victory on Nov. 20, 2011 at the Bob Deveney Center in Lincoln, Neb.
RHODE ISLAND IN NON-CONFERENCE PLAY
- Since joining the Eastern 8 in 1980, URI is 275-218 (.558) in non-conference play.
- Rhody is 71-25 (.740) in the regular season and 80-26 (.755) in all non-conference games played at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- URI has won 11 of its last 13 and 20 of its last 24 home non-conference games.
RHODE ISLAND VS. THE BIG TEN
- The Rams are 5-12 all-time versus Big Ten opponents.
- On Nov. 25 in the title game of the Cancun Challenge, Rhody fell to #2/2 Maryland.
- Last year, Rhody took a 66-62 overtime victory over #21/21 Nebraska on Nov. 22.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Today's Theme: Trends
- Rhode Island's record when shooting less than 40.0% from the floor: 1-2; 40-45%: 1-0; 46-50%: 1-1; better than 50%: 3-0
- URI's record when Jarvis Garrett plays more than 25 minutes and has one or fewer turnovers: 2014-15 - 4-5; 2015-16 - 5-2
- Garrett has committed more than two turnovers in a game just once this year (Cleveland State).
- Over his last three games, Hassan Martin is averaging 15.0 points, 6.7 rebounds, 2.3 blocks while shooting 64.5% (20-31).
- In his first six games, Martin was averaging 10.2 points, 5.7 rebounds, 2.7 blocks, and 50.0% FG per game.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - DECEMBER 13
- Rhode Island is 13-8 all-time in games played on December 13.
- Notable Dec. 13 wins: 1952 at St. John's, 1961 vs. San Francisco, and 2014 vs. Delaware State.
- December 13 also marks the dual celebration of National Violin and National Cocoa Days.
- Notable Dec. 13 birthdays: former First Lady Mary Todd Lincoln, actor Jamie Foxx, and Westerly, R.I. resident Taylor Swift.
LIMITING LEADING SCORERS
- Through the first nine games of the season, Rhody has held its opposing leading scorer below his scoring average seven times.
- Last time out, Rhody held Houston's Rob Gray Jr. to 14 points - more than 4.0 points below his season average of 18.4 ppg.
- On Dec. 5 vs. Providence, the Rams held National Player of the Year candidate Kris Dunn to 15 points - 3.6 below his season average.
- Jesse Reed - American (14.3 avg/7 pts); Alec Peters - Valpo (18.0 avg./14 pts); Demonte Flannigan - Cleveland State (16.5 avg./4 pts.); Vlad Brodziansky - TCU (14.9 avg./8 pts.); Malachi Alexander - Holy Cross (10.7 avg./7 pts.).
- Maryland's Melo Trimble (16.0 avg::17 pts.) and Rider's Xavier Lundy (11.0 avg::12 pts.) each bested their season averages.
MARTIN AMONG TOP DEFENSIVE PLAYERS IN THE COUNTRY
- With his five blocks vs. Rider, Hassan Martin joined the 200 career blocked shot club.
- Only Kenny Green (324) and current assistant coach Antonio Reynolds Dean (235) rank above him on Rhody's all-time blocks list.
- Among all active players, Martin is one of 12 Division I players to have at least 200 career blocks.
- Additionally, he ranks ninth among all active players - and second among all juniors - with 207 career blocked shots.
WHERE THE RAMS RANK DEFENSIVELY - KENPOM.COM METRICS
- KenPom.com ranks Rhode Island 17th nationally in adjusted defensive efficiency, with a 93.4 mark.
- Defensive efficiency measures points scored per 100 possessions, adjusted for the quality of opposing defenses, the site of each game, and when each game was played.
- Rhody also ranks 54th in effective FG% defense (45.0%), 3FG% defense (22nd - 27.7%), and 32nd in block% (13.9%).
- The Rams also rate highly in turnover% (45th, 21.8%) and steal% (90th, 10.0%).
WHERE THE RAMS RANK DEFENSIVELY - NCAA RANKINGS
- Rhody ranks 12th nationally in scoring defense, holding opponents to just 59.4 points per game.
- The Rams limited American to 42 points in the season opener and held Cleveland State to just 45 points.
- Six of nine Rhody opponents did not crack the 60-point mark on the scoreboard.
- URI also ranks among the top 100 in blocks (34th - 5.4 bpg), 3FG% defense (24th, 27.7%), and turnover margin (84th, +2.2 TO/g).