RHODE ISLAND VS. PROVIDENCE - ALL-TIME SERIES
- For the 128th time, Rhode Island and Providence will face off on the hardwood.
- URI's fourth-most common opponent, the Rams are 56-71 all-time vs. the Friars, which began their long-time series on Dec. 7, 1920.
- Last year, Rhody fell short - 68-60 - at the Dunkin Donuts Center on Dec. 10, 2014.
- Providence has won the last five overall meetings between the two teams.
RHODE ISLAND VS. PROVIDENCE - VENUES & RECORDS
Record at URI: The Rams lead 38-27.
- In games played at the Ryan Center, Rhody is 4-2
- With the Providence Civic Center as its home court, the Rams were 8-9.
Record at Providence: The Friars lead 42-17.
- Last time in the Capital City, Providence won, 72-57 (Dec. 6, 2012).
- The last URI win at the Dunk came on Dec. 7, 2002 (W, 73-71).
Neutral Court: The Friars lead 2-1.
- All three games were played at the Providence Civic Center.
RHODE ISLAND IN NON-CONFERENCE PLAY
- Since joining the Eastern 8 in 1980, URI is 274-217 (.558) in non-conference play.
- Rhody is 70-24 (.745) in the regular season and 79-25 (.760) in all non-conference games played at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- URI has won 10 of its last 11 and 19 of its last 22 home non-conference games.
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 136-72 all-time record in the Thomas M. Ryan Center and went 14-2 last year on the Alex and Ani Court.
- It marked the 10th time in venue history (13 years) that the Rams won 10 or more home games.
- The Rams' first victory in the building was a 73-71 overtime affair vs. USC on Nov. 26, 2002.
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS RANKED OPPONENTS
- Rhode Island is 13-94 all-time versus ranked opponents (for a full list of Rhode Island vs. ranked opponents, see p. 5 of the notes)
- The Rams snapped their 22-game slide against ranked teams on Nov. 22, 2014 in a 66-62 OT win over #21/21 Nebraska.
- Prior to that, URI's last victory over a ranked opponent was on Dec. 2, 1998 vs. #25 Utah (70-63) in the Great Eight Tournament.
- On Nov. 25, Rhode Island faced #2/2 Maryland in the title game of the Cancun Challenge.
- Rhode Island has faced Providence 13 times when the Friars were in the national polls and are 2-11 in those games.
- Head coach Dan Hurley is 2-5 all-time against ranked teams and 1-4 overall at Rhode Island.
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS THE BIG EAST
- Rhode Island is 20-53 all-time versus Big East opponents.
- The Rams have dropped their last seven meetings vs. Big East opponents.
- Dan Hurley is 1-6 all-time coaching against Big East schools - the win came at #15 Pittsburgh (Dec. 23, 2011) when he was at Wagner.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Today's Theme: Potpourri
- In each of its first seven games, Rhody has had at least one player tally at least three steals. Jared Terrell has done it three times.
- Rhody has posted back-to-back games with single digit turnovers - four vs. Rider on Nov. 29 and nine against Holy Cross on Dec. 2.
- It is the first time since the 2013-14 season that has happened - Nov. 30, 2013 vs. Mason (4 TO), Dec. 5, 2013 vs. Providence (8 TO)
- URI is 5-0 when it averages more than 1.00 point per possession, 0-2 when it doesn't; the highest PPP of the season - 1.30 vs. Rider.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - DECEMBER 5
- Rhode Island is 8-9 all-time in games played on December 5.
- URI is 1-2 vs. Providence all-time on December 5, earning the win at the Ryan Center in 2009. Losses came in 1957 and 2013.
- December 5 marks the dual celebration of International Ninja Day & International Volunteer Day for Economic & Social Development.
- Notable Dec. 5 birthdays: U.S. President Martin Van Buren, Walt Disney, Gen. George Custer, and Patriots RB LeGarrett Blount.
IVERSON POSTS FIRST COLLEGIATE DOUBLE-DOUBLE - 19 POINTS/10 REBOUNDS VS. HOLY CROSS
- Kuran Iverson posted his first collegiate double-double, with career-highs in scoring (19 pts) and rebounding (10) vs. Holy Cross.
- The 6-9 forward connected on 8-of-11 from the floor; four of his 10 boards came on the offensive glass.
McGLYNN PACES OFFENSIVE OUTPUT FROM THE OUTSIDE VS. RIDER
- Four McGlynn connected on 6-of-10 from the perimeter and the Rams knocked down 13-of-28 3FG vs. Rider on Nov. 29.
- The graduate transfer made his first five 3FG attempts in the first half, en route to tying his career-high with 27 points.
- Freshman Christion Thompson also had the hot hand from outside, coming off the bench to make 3-of-5 from beyond the arc.
- Rhody's 13 made 3-pointers were the most in a single-game since Dec. 22, 2010, when URI made 14 treys vs. Lafayette.
- The Rams' 46.4% 3-point FG% was a single-game season-high and boosted the team's overall 3FG% from 31.9% to 36.0%.
MARTIN AMONG TOP DEFENSIVE PLAYERS IN THE COUNTRY; JOINS 200 BLOCK CLUB
- With his five blocks vs. Rider, Hassan Martin tallied his 200th career blocked shot.
- Only Kenny Green (324) and current assistant coach Antonio Reynolds Dean (235) rank above him on Rhody's all-time blocks list.
- Among all active players, Martin is one of 10 Division I players to have at least 200 career blocks.