TV: CBS Sports Network - Thad Anderson; Doug Gottlieb
AUDIO: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM) - Steve McDonald; Don Kaull
INTERNET: iHeartRadio.com (audio)
RHODE ISLAND VS. MARYLAND - ALL-TIME SERIES
- Tonight marks the fourth meeting between Rhode Island and Maryland.
- The Terps lead the all-time series, 2-1.
- Rhody's lone win came on Jan. 5, 1940 - 59-53 - in a game played in Elizabeth, N.J.
- Maryland earned an 83-68 win over URI on Dec. 29, 1954.
- The last meeting was a triple-overtime affair in the first round of the NIT on March 7, 1979. Maryland would win, 67-65.
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS THE BIG TEN
- The Rams are 5-11 all-time versus Big Ten opponents.
- Maryland is the first of two Big Ten foes for the Rams (at Nebraska on Dec. 13).
- Last year, Rhody took a 66-62 overtime victory over #21/21 Nebraska on Nov. 22.
RHODE ISLAND IN NON-CONFERENCE PLAY
- Since joining the Eastern 8 in 1980, URI is 272-217 (.556) in non-conference play.
- Rhody is 68-24 (.739) in the regular season and 77-25 (.755) in all non-conference games played at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- URI has won nine of its last 10 and 18 of its last 21 home non-conference games.
RHODE ISLAND IN IN-SEASON TOURNAMENTS/MULTI-TEAM EVENTS
- Dating back to the 1949-50 season, Rhode Island is 68-73 all-time in in-season tournaments.
- Rhody has captured its first two games in Cancun Challenge play - a 73-45 win over Cleveland State and a 66-60 win versus TCU.
- Last year, the Rams went 1-2 in the Orlando Classic, falling to Kansas and Georgia Tech, while beating Santa Clara.
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS RANKED OPPONENTS
- Rhode Island is 13-93 all-time versus ranked opponents
- The Rams snapped their 22-game slide against ranked teams on Nov. 22, 2014 in a 66-62 OT win over #21/21 Nebraska.
- Prior to that, URI's last victory over a ranked opponent was on Dec. 2, 1998 vs. #25 Utah (70-63) in the Great Eight Tournament.
- At #2, Maryland is the highest-ranked opponent for URI since the Rams faced #1 Saint Joseph's on Feb. 28, 2004.
- The Rams are 1-8 all-time against teams ranked #2 or better.
- The last Rhody win over a team ranked #2 or higher came on March 15, 1998, when the Rams downed #2 ranked Kansas, 80-75.
- Head coach Dan Hurley is 2-5 all-time against ranked teams and 1-4 overall at Rhode Island.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Four McGlynn scored his 1,200th career collegiate point last time out vs. TCU. He ranks 37th among all active players in scoring.
- Jarvis Garrett posted his sixth career game, playing at least 30 minutes while committing just one turnover. He has done it twice this season. Against American, he saw 33 minutes of action and had one turnover. He played 35 minutes against TCU with just one TO.
- A Rhode Island player has notched at least three steals in each of the four games so far this season: Hassan Martin vs. American; Four McGlynn vs. Valpo; and Jared Terrell in both the Cleveland State and TCU games.
THE DEFENSE NEVER RESTS - KENPOM.COM METRICS
- KenPom.com ranks Rhode Island fifth nationally in adjusted defensive efficiency, with a 91.2 mark.
- Defensive efficiency is a metric that measures points scored per 100 possessions - KenPom adjusts for the quality of opposing defenses, the site of each game, and when each game was played.
- Rhody also ranks 16th in effective FG% defense (38.5%), 14th in turnover% (24.8%), and fourth in 3FG% defense (21.1%).
- The Rams also rate highly in block% (15.5%) - 22nd, steal% (11.8%) - 37th, and 2FG% defense (41.2%) - 49th.
- On Nov. 17 vs. Valparaiso, Hassan Martin registered his program-best ninth career game with at least six blocked shots.
- Kenny Green - URI's all-time leader in blocks - had five games with at least six blocks. Green had eight blocks in each of those games.
- With 195 career blocks, Martin is tied for 10th among all active NCAA Division I players. He is third among active juniors.
- His 2.81 blocks per game average is sixth-best among all active players.
- Martin is 40 blocked shots away from tying assistant coach Antonio Reynolds Dean for second place on URI's all-time blocks list (235).
GARRETT NOTCHES HIS 100TH CAREER ASSIST
- Sophomore point guard Jarvis Garrett tallied his 100th career collegiate assist vs. Cleveland State.
- Since entering the starting lineup at UMass on Jan. 18, the Milwaukee native has tallied 79 assists over his last 22 games.
- As a starter, Garrett has a 2.63:1 assist-turnover ratio while playing an average of 31.0 minutes over the 22-game span.