How It Happened
Rhody closed the game on a 12-3 run over the final 2:16 of play to pull away from TCU, 66-60, in the Cancun Challenge at the Hard Rock Hotel in the Riviera Maya.
The Rams (3-1) will face #2 Maryland on Wednesday night at 8:30 p.m.
After an even start to the game that saw two ties and two lead changes, Rhody took its first lead of the ballgame on a Kuran Iverson 3-pointer with 12:55 remaining in the period. URI would build as much as an eight-point advantage in the first half, going up 27-19 after a Hassan Martin jumper at the 6:04 mark. The Rams would lead 31-28 at the break.
In the second half, Rhody built a six-point lead after a Jared Terrell 3-pointer with 15:59 to play but TCU would not go away quietly. The Horned Frogs chipped away over the next eight minutes, taking a 51-49 lead with 7:34 left in regulation. A Hassan Martin traditional three-point play with 1:32 to go gave Rhody the lead for good. The junior forward took a terrific feed from Jarvis Garrett.
Four McGlynn provided the dagger with a 25-foot jumper with 45 ticks remaining. He would also connect on four free throws in the final seconds.
Inside the Box Score
- Jared Terrell registered his first collegiate double-double, with 12 points and a career-best 10 rebounds. He added two assists and three steals - his sixth career game with at least three steals.
- Four McGlynn scored 10 of his 18 points in the second half. The 6-2 shooter connected on 3-of-7 from beyond the arc in 36 minutes of action.
- Hassan Martin added 14 points, eight rebounds, and three blocked shots. All three swats came with less than 6:46 remaining in the game as the Rams' defense made some key stops.
- Kuran Iverson started the game on first, making four of his first five shots - including a 3-pointer. He finished with nine points and five boards in 18 foul-plagued minutes.
- Earl Watson tied his career-high with nine points off the bench. Watson was 4-of-5 from the floor, while also grabbing three boards.
- Jarvis Garrett dished out a season-best six assists.
- The Rams outscored TCU, 26-18, in the paint.
Stat of the Game
10 - Jared Terrell's career-high 10 rebounds tonight all came on the defensive glass.
Rhode Island will finish play in Mexico in the Cancun Challenge against #2 Maryland tomorrow night at 8:30 p.m. The game can be seen live nationally on CBS Sports Network.
The Rhody Sports Network will air the game live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull. The pre-game show begins 30 minutes before tipoff.