How It Happened
Rhode Island had two looks to tie at the buzzer - as back-to-back 3-point attempts by Four McGlynn almost rattled in - but the Rams came up short in a 58-55 loss to Valparaiso at the Ryan Center. The game tipped off at 10 a.m. as part of the ESPN College Basketball Tipoff Marathon.
The Rams (1-1) started slowly, as the Crusaders (3-0) took a six-point lead - 10-4 - just 5:38 into the game. Trailing 14-8 with 9:25 left in the half, Rhody then made its push, outscoring Valpo, 9-0, and holding the Crusaders without a field goal for close to 10 minutes. A trey by Jared Terrell gave Rhode Island a 20-18 lead at the break.
In the second half, Rhody and Valpo traded baskets for the first five minutes of play before the Crusaders began a run, building a seven-point advantage (42-35) with 8:12 left to play.
After the Crusaders took their largest lead of the game - nine points (51-42) - with 4:33 to go, Rhody mounted its final push. The Rams outscored Valpo, 13-5, down the stretch, cutting it to one (56-55) after strong Terrell drive to the bucket with 34 seconds left.
Valpo's Alec Peters made two free throws with nine seconds remaining, setting up the final possession for the Rams, who came up just short.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Hassan Martin recorded the game's only double-double, finishing with 10 points and 10 rebounds. He also blocked six shots on the day, five of which came in the first half.
- Grad student Four McGlynn led the Rams with 13 points, including three makes from long range.
- Sophomores Jarvis Garrett and Jared Terrell also scored in double figures with 11 points apiece. Garrett added a game-high three assists while Terrell had six boards.
- The Rams struggled at the free throw line, connecting on just 13 of their 24 attempts (54.2%).
- Valpo won the battle of the boards, pulling down 41 rebounds to Rhody's 33
- Rhode Island combined for nine blocked shots on the afternoon, led by Martin's six swats. Terrell, senior Earl Watson and junior Kuran Iverson each added one.
- Valparaiso had four players score in double figures: Alec Peters (14), Vashil Fernandez (12), Keith Carter (12) and Tevonn Walker (12).
Stat of the Game
10 - Rhody (4) and Valpo (6) combined for just 10 bench points on the afternoon.
Rhode Island returns to action on Saturday night when they host Cleveland State at 7:30 p.m. The game will be Rhody's first of four as a part of the Cancun Challenge.